Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]

Originally posted by MBANut on 13 Feb 2013, 12:11.
Last edited by MBANut on 09 Aug 2013, 03:47, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
MBANut wrote:
Aximili85 - I see that you've taken the GMAT 4 times (with great success in the end!). Does anyone know INSEAD's perception of someone taking the GMAT for the 4th or even 5th time? Do they frown upon that many retakes (if the person wasn't able to achieve 700+ or the 70% v/q hurdle)?

Hey, I have taken it 3 times. Source of embarrassment for me to be frank. My experience so far, US schools will have a much bigger issue with it. As per an INSEAD alumnus and McKinsey & Co. Associate, he responded to my question whether INSEAD would consider this a weakness, and I quote after digging up his email: "Not at all".

However, this is said keeping in mind that I raised my score by 100 points, which I mentioned in my optional essay as a struggle and something I had to really work at (particularly quant). Also, from INSEAD's perspective getting an Indian applicant with a 99% in the verbal would have been rare, or so I would like to flatter myself into believing :o How many times have you written and what's your score progression?

Originally posted by Aximili85 on 13 Feb 2013, 12:45.
Last edited by Aximili85 on 07 Jun 2013, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by MBANut on 14 Feb 2013, 08:24.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBANut wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
MBANut wrote:
Aximili85 - I see that you've taken the GMAT 4 times (with great success in the end!). Does anyone know INSEAD's perception of someone taking the GMAT for the 4th or even 5th time? Do they frown upon that many retakes (if the person wasn't able to achieve 700+ or the 70% v/q hurdle)?

Hey, I have taken it 4 times. Source of embarrassment for me to be frank. My experience so far, US schools will have a much bigger issue with it. As per an INSEAD alumnus and McKinsey & Co. Associate, he responded to my question whether INSEAD would consider this a weakness, and I quote after digging up his email: "Not at all".

However, this is said keeping in mind that I raised my score by 100 points, which I mentioned in my optional essay as a struggle and something I had to really work at (particularly quant). Also, from INSEAD's perspective getting an Indian applicant with a 99% in the verbal would have been rare, or so I would like to flatter myself into believing :o How many times have you written and what's your score progression?

Hi, thanks a lot for your input. I've already taken it 4 times (all in the same year, and never been able to get above 700, just almost). So I'm thinking about a 5th attempt. My verbal score is always strong but I'm having timing troubles with quant on the actual test. I've also heard that US schools have a problem if you've taken it more than 3 times but I feel like even for international programs, a 5th retake is pushing it. :( My highest score was actually my first attempt and all following scores have seen a downward trend since (not enough prep time). Of course there is the chance that my score will be low again on the 5th try but maybe it might be worth the risk if INSEAD is okay with multiple (or many multiple) retakes?

I do not think that INSEAD is the kind of school that will look at your GMAT score as a make or break thing. Your story has to speak for itself. If you are in the 80 percent range, my advice is to focus on amazing essays. Standardized tests aren't meant to differentiate you from the crowd, they are made to put you on the map... with close to 700 you are on the map. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Send PM
KiliM wrote:
will look at your GMAT score as a make or break thing. Your story has to speak for itself. If you are in the 80 percent range, my advice is to focus on amazing essays. Standardized tests aren't meant to differentiate you from the crowd, they are made to put you on the map... with close to 700 you are on the map. Good luck!

I agree, its the overall application. That said, one of the the most damaging things you can do to your application is to show that you have not learnt from past mistakes. A decreasing GMAT trend is a weakness, to be blunt. I empathize with you, the GMAT gave me HELL. My last attempt almost completely destroyed my social life over a period of 4 months, as I had just moved countries. I'm not a quant person as my undergraduate is in Biotechnology. I also wrote my first two GMATs within a span of 31 days, and got the same score (640). I highly recommend you take a step back, don't touch those book for a few months. Then properly reassess your strategy (you may not be approaching it correctly, neither was I) - start off and give it everything you've got. That way the contrasting score will be a testament of your perseverance and your ability to reassess your approach to a problem (etc.). I don't mean to be over pessimistic but if it means delaying by a year to drastically improve your chances, as I did, I think you should.

Originally posted by Aximili85 on 14 Feb 2013, 10:16.
Last edited by Aximili85 on 14 Feb 2013, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Done with both interviews.

1st one: lots of questions beyond the usual ones (CV walk, why mba, why insead), stock prices/market caps of apple/facebook/google. I felt a bit stressed out as I could not answer all of the questions right away. overall a positive feeling though and he gave me lots of tips.

2nd one: very relaxed and conversational, gave me lots of tips. said he will recommend me.

*** fingers crossed ***

Good luck to you all! Hopefully we'll see each other in Fonty/Singy :) :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
jfk wrote:

1st one: lots of questions beyond the usual ones (CV walk, why mba, why insead), stock prices/market caps of apple/facebook/google. I felt a bit stressed out as I could not answer all of the questions right away. overall a positive feeling though and he give me lots of tips.

2nd one: very relaxed and conversational, gave me lots of tips. said he will recommend me.

*** fingers crossed ***

Stock prices/market caps? Seriously? Jeez, so glad I didn't get hit with that. I faced a different kind of grilling to ascertain whether I had thought out everything in depth. Which campus are you applying to?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
jfk wrote:

1st one: lots of questions beyond the usual ones (CV walk, why mba, why insead), stock prices/market caps of apple/facebook/google. I felt a bit stressed out as I could not answer all of the questions right away. overall a positive feeling though and he give me lots of tips.

*** fingers crossed ***

Stock prices/market caps? Seriously? Jeez, so glad I didn't get hit with that. I faced a different kind of grilling to ascertain whether I had thought out everything in depth. Which campus are you applying to?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised too... talked to an alum who does these interviews as well and he said he found that strange and that he would never ask such questions.

I'm applying to Fonty. But I'm planning to spend at least one period in Singy. How about you?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Send PM
jfk wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
jfk wrote:

*** fingers crossed ***

Yeah, I was a bit surprised too... talked to an alum who does these interviews as well and he said he found that strange and that he would never ask such questions.

I'm applying to Fonty. But I'm planning to spend at least one period in Singy. How about you?

I'm Googling market caps for my LBS interview also this week, jokes. so I would definitely take INSEAD over LBS if both go through (fingers crossed), I'm thinking of doing P1/P2 in Fontainebleau and then the remaining terms in Singapore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
what is the updated no of students on mba connect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
gspk wrote:
what is the updated no of students on mba connect

Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by MBANut on 16 Feb 2013, 16:17.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
This forum has gone a bit quiet. I think we can assume then that the dread of next week is starting to sink in. :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Darranger wrote:
This forum has gone a bit quiet. I think we can assume then that the dread of next week is starting to sink in. :shock:

Knowing that the final decision deadline is March 1st, I am grateful that this February has not 29 days... waiting an extra day would just be unbearable...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Based on previous rounds, my guess is we start getting results the 27th. Pretty excited!!!!! Can't wait to hear back so I can start looking for pre-MBA internships (or not).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey All,

I am applying in R1 for Jan 2014 and have a question related to admission form. I have a query regarding admission form of the regular 10 month MBA course at INSEAD. My native language is not English but the mode of instruction for my entire university degree for all subjects was English. All my mark sheets and certificate of the 4 year university course are also in English. In such a case, do I need to submit a separate certificate/letter from university certifying the same or mentioning the same in the app form will suffice. Specifically asking this as I see the below sentence in your website " You need to submit a transcript which indicates that the curriculum was entirely taught in English".

Pls clarify/correct.

Thanks,
Neeraj

PS: I know this is 2013 forum but I am still writing it here as you guys would have applied already and would therefore be sure about my query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
neerz wrote:
Hey All,

I am applying in R1 for Jan 2014 and have a question related to admission form. I have a query regarding admission form of the regular 10 month MBA course at INSEAD. My native language is not English but the mode of instruction for my entire university degree for all subjects was English. All my mark sheets and certificate of the 4 year university course are also in English. In such a case, do I need to submit a separate certificate/letter from university certifying the same or mentioning the same in the app form will suffice. Specifically asking this as I see the below sentence in your website " You need to submit a transcript which indicates that the curriculum was entirely taught in English".

Pls clarify/correct.

Thanks,
Neeraj

PS: I know this is 2013 forum but I am still writing it here as you guys would have applied already and would therefore be sure about my query.

I was in the same situation, I just submitted a copy of my transcript. They know what language schools teach in. Once you get accepted, they will ask for the original transcript. Also, in the application there is a question about your native language and the language in which your undergraduate was taught in.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts