Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
EmBeeAy23 wrote:
Would you mind elaborating a bit on that statement - why is this the first time you've seen the students NOT joyful to see class cancelled whereas they were before?

Some of my initial assumptions:
- when class was cancelled last time, it was at a time in the school year where students felt overburdened with work, assignments, and recruiting and so they happily welcomed the free time
- in the spring semester, there are more interesting electives to take, so students actually look forward to class now
- students felt that this week's cancellation of class was unwarranted

If I made this feel like a CR question haha my apologies - just curious.

Ha. Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. With two days of classes cancelled we are potentially facing make up classes on two consecutive Fridays during peak recruiting season. I know though that the administration is working with student government to come to the best resolution for this. But perhaps next time I shouldn't be so flippant with my usage of "jumping for joy".

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
EmBeeAy23 wrote:
Would you mind elaborating a bit on that statement - why is this the first time you've seen the students NOT joyful to see class cancelled whereas they were before?

Some of my initial assumptions:
- when class was cancelled last time, it was at a time in the school year where students felt overburdened with work, assignments, and recruiting and so they happily welcomed the free time
- in the spring semester, there are more interesting electives to take, so students actually look forward to class now
- students felt that this week's cancellation of class was unwarranted

If I made this feel like a CR question haha my apologies - just curious.

Ha. Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. With two days of classes cancelled we are potentially facing make up classes on two consecutive Fridays during peak recruiting season. I know though that the administration is working with student government to come to the best resolution for this. But perhaps next time I shouldn't be so flippant with my usage of "jumping for joy".

"facing make up classes."

ah, of course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
skm wrote:
aerien wrote:
mba2527 wrote:
My perspective (US R1 admit / will be attending!)

*Ahem* so, when's Yale going to turn blue in your user profile? :P Join the club with @machichi and @skm ... if you're cool enough, maybe @OhDenny will give you an official shout-out too.

(Sidenote: Yes, I realize I can ask myself this same question....)

Join us! You know you want to. :-D

There we go - you can see the blue now :) Looks like I beat aerien to the task!

Also, quick question to anyone attending Winter Welcome...what exactly is the dress code (I'm a nerd and there isn't one on the schedule)? Looks like it will still be cold and snowy, so for a non-northerner like myself, I need to figure out something warm and appropriate out of the options in my closet! (That I and will be getting to New Haven after already being out-of-town for a few days so I need to strategically pack my tiny carry-on :) )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
mba2527 wrote:

Also, quick question to anyone attending Winter Welcome...what exactly is the dress code (I'm a nerd and there isn't one on the schedule)? Looks like it will still be cold and snowy, so for a non-northerner like myself, I need to figure out something warm and appropriate out of the options in my closet! (That I and will be getting to New Haven after already being out-of-town for a few days so I need to strategically pack my tiny carry-on :) )

Yay! Welcome to the club! :) Where do you live?

Hmm, the Welcome Weekend indicates the dress code at the top of each day, so I'm surprised Winter Welcome doesn't. I'd say go Business Casual. No activity requires pure business dress for April's event, so that's the "highest" level of dress expected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
machichi wrote:
mba2527 wrote:

Hmm, the Welcome Weekend indicates the dress code at the top of each day, so I'm surprised Winter Welcome doesn't. I'd say go Business Casual. No activity requires pure business dress for April's event, so that's the "highest" level of dress expected.

Thanks! I'm from the best / third / gulf coast, so my winter wardrobe choices are pretty slim (guess I'll have to work on that....), but a few years of consulting workshops have left a few choices. I was using the regular Welcome Weekend schedule as a guide too, just wanted to double check with everyone else!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Has anyone else heard anything about interview invites from SOM? Every time I receive an email that isn't from Yale about an interview I start to panic? I'm hoping something comes in by the end of the week....

Still keeping hope.

A
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
machichi wrote:
mba2527 wrote:

Hah! You did! :) You also beat me to the dress code question -- though if it snows again, I could end up looking like a snowman and not heading the business casual attire .... maybe ....

@OhDenny -- Admissions keeps saying there'll be a record number of attendees. Any idea of how many people that actually is? And if that includes admits & partners, or just admits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
mba2527 wrote:
machichi wrote:
mba2527 wrote:

Thanks! I'm from the best / third / gulf coast, so my winter wardrobe choices are pretty slim (guess I'll have to work on that....), but a few years of consulting workshops have left a few choices. I was using the regular Welcome Weekend schedule as a guide too, just wanted to double check with everyone else!

Ha ha I can identify with the wardrobe issues living on the gulf coast. Where abouts on the Gulf are you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aerien wrote:
@OhDenny -- Admissions keeps saying there'll be a record number of attendees. Any idea of how many people that actually is? And if that includes admits & partners, or just admits?

I think over 75 - which is a good chunk of the full R1 admits. We have over 30 staying over on Sunday as well (or at least being hosted), so we'll have a good crew for the social events that evening.

For dress, business casual is appropriate. Also - the jacket/cardigan will keep you warm! But seriously, folks, no one will care if you bring a puffy coat, or a different-colored trenchcoat to shield you from the cold. It should be sunny, though, which is a bonus. Bring gloves. And earmuffs if you're a dude. If you're lucky, I will wear my hatbeard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi guys, i have a question regarding Round 2 interviews. I am from India and I received my interview invite last week (7th Feb). I replied back to SOM Admissions requesting for alternate arrangements but have not heard back from them since then. Does it usually takes this much of time for them to respond or is it because of Nemo Storm??
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
dceankur wrote:
Hi guys, i have a question regarding Round 2 interviews. I am from India and I received my interview invite last week (7th Feb). I replied back to SOM Admissions requesting for alternate arrangements but have not heard back from them since then. Does it usually takes this much of time for them to respond or is it because of Nemo Storm??

If you're worried, call admissions to confirm they received it/set up a time. However, you did hit Nemo perfectly. Yale was closed Monday and Tuesday, so they're likely digging out from all the emails received then.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
dceankur wrote:

If you're worried, call admissions to confirm they received it/set up a time. However, you did hit Nemo perfectly. Yale was closed Monday and Tuesday, so they're likely digging out from all the emails received then.

I am not worried aerien, just wanted to confirm if Yale takes this much time in scheduling the interviews (i understand that the delay was caused due to Nemo). I will call them up today to confirm. Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
dceankur wrote:

For me, I think it took them about 3-4 business days to schedule a Skype interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
For us that haven't received interviews yet:

They sent out an update email that says roughly 3/4 of invitations have went out. Consortium invitations to be finished within a week, and rest of R2 invitations within several weeks after that.

So there is some hope still. I thought it looked like they hadn't sent them all out, but in other years they appeared mostly finished by this point.

Good luck to all those still waiting, and good luck to those getting ready to interview!

*Sidenote: Does anyone else find it very frustrating that schools send out other emails during invitation season? (Always makes your heart jump).
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
zaffro13 wrote:
*Sidenote: Does anyone else find it very frustrating that schools send out other emails during invitation season? (Always makes your heart jump).

Frustrating? Yes, yes, yes!!
Is Yale the worst one? Definitely not. SOM seemed to send out newsletters/updates on Thursdays so you could mentally prepare yourself when looking at your inbox. Other schools, like Haas and Sloan, send out info continuously...to the point where they are actually on my gmail spam list.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Had my interview today and just finished my thank you letter. Hoping that the next time I hear from SOM is good news.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Hey there--if anyone had to reschedule their interview due to the storm, you should be able to go into the online portal again (in your application) and there are a new set of dates.

Good luck to all! And for those already admitted--have fun at your Winter Welcome event! Really hope I will be joining you during the spring admit weekend.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts