Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
I hear from a lot of people that RC is the most scoring section in Verbal , but i have been performing bad in RC consistently. Can anyone suggest something that has worked well in the past ??
Help will be much appreciated !!
Thanks

Well you are probably right but in a different way:
Why RC might just end up being the most scoring section
Lets look at it this way. Suppose you are into technology and you got a RC passage based on Apple and the new iPad mini that they are making. Obviously you are completely into the passage and your comprehension skills and off the charts.
But on the other hand if you get a feminist rights passage? EW! Not so much!

So it depends on how you comprehend a passage. Comprehension is the MOST essential trait to master if you want to ace Reading comprehension passages.
There are 2 types of RC tactics - Skim or Read thoroughly!
I like skimming but NOT skipping.
I stop after every paragraph and do a 10-15 secs reflection on what was the value added by that paragraph and it REALLY helps
For this method check out this video by e-GMAT
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBQovNZISbc[/youtube]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
I hear from a lot of people that RC is the most scoring section in Verbal , but i have been performing bad in RC consistently. Can anyone suggest something that has worked well in the past ??
Thanks

The key to RC is to know when to focus and not to focus as much - thereby increasing your skimming speed. Improving in RC is not easy to read about. In other words, it's difficult to improve your reading skills by reading about how to do so.

We think a video based approach is best - take a look at this link and see if it helps:

https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks

Hi shikhar,

This is an excerpt from my own debrief.

RC:

Well, IMO RC’s are simply long CR’s. You are given information and you’ll be asked questions about it. However, there would be no specific question type associated with RC’s except for the ones that ask you to identify the ‘main point of the author’.

There is only one way to move forward - read the passage. Avoid reading the questions and then looking for answers in the passage. You would not get any bonus points if the passage belongs to any of your comfort areas. So what if the passage is on “the adoption of western classical music by Eastern musicians during the era of King Louis XVI”. Even if you are a classical musician and know its history inside out your answers have to be strictly based on the passage. You cannot give an answer based your own knowledge of the subject, else you might mess up.

Going back to approach - I had devised my own approach for tackling RC’s.

I used to converse with them. Imagine you are sitting at a table in a restaurant somewhere in, say, Mexico and this gentleman arrives and starts a conversation with you. Suppose he tells you –

Linda Kerber argued in the mid-
1980’s that after the American Revolution
(1775-1783), an ideology of “republican
Line motherhood” resulted in a surge of edu-
(5) cational opportunities for women in the
United States
.”

You: Oh! I didn’t know that, tell me more...

Kerber maintained that
the leaders of the new nation wanted
women to be educated in order to raise
politically virtuous sons. A virtuous citi-
(10) zenry was considered essential to the
success of the country’s republican form
of government; virtue was to be instilled
not only by churches and schools, but
by families, where the mother’s role
(15) was crucial.

You: So Kerber in a way was trying to promote the role of women in instilling virtues. Hmm.. interesting(although it might not be as interesting as the address of Agent Smith to Morpheus while the latter was tied to a chair and the former was comparing human beings to viruses, you simply will have to listen to this RC). So how was it received by the public?

And so on..

After each para, just pause for a bit, summarize what all information is given. Note it down on a piece of paper. These notes should be as precise as possible.

You: so basically, in the first para you are saying bla bla bla..

<repeat this for the rest of the paragraphs>

I found this approach to be good for such passages which did not interest me at all.

For the passages which were from areas familiar to me, I would simply read the passage without complicating things.

I used to try applying the above-mentioned approach while reading editorials from ‘The Hindu’(an Indian newspaper).
GMAT Club Bot