Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks for the insight weven. Does Michigan have other activities for interviewees such as tours, class visits etc? I didn't notice a way to sign up on the interview website.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yes they do offer Q&A with a student and tour, class visit and chance to set up appointments with clubs you are interested in. Depending on the day the schedule varies, but you just sign up at the front desk not online.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
weven wrote:
yes they do offer Q&A with a student and tour, class visit and chance to set up appointments with clubs you are interested in. Depending on the day the schedule varies, but you just sign up at the front desk not online.

Gotcha thanks for the info

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Thanks for the insight weven. Does Michigan have other activities for interviewees such as tours, class visits etc? I didn't notice a way to sign up on the interview website.

They do have the VIP program where you can sign up online. You can google "VIP Ross" and you'll find it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
So I'm prepping for my Ross interview this week and a couple of questions floated into my mind that I was hoping folks here could answer.

1- Does anybody know what level of review is done on an application before extending an interview invite? Are applications reviewed extensively or is selection for an interview done based on some sort of algorithm/quantitative basis (i.e. minimal human selection)?
2- Is there a way to find out how many people/% of interviewees were ultimately accepted? Or is that information not published anywhere? Am curious to see how many people make it through after interviews.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Had my interview an hour back with an alum. All I can say after meeting him is that if ross has such wonderful people then I wanna go to ross more than ever before
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepeneurship
Schools:Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
GMAT 2: 620 GMAT 3: 700  Q46  V40
GPA: below 3.
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks
Send PM
brosnan6 wrote:
So I'm prepping for my Ross interview this week and a couple of questions floated into my mind that I was hoping folks here could answer.

1- Does anybody know what level of review is done on an application before extending an interview invite? Are applications reviewed extensively or is selection for an interview done based on some sort of algorithm/quantitative basis (i.e. minimal human selection)?
2- Is there a way to find out how many people/% of interviewees were ultimately accepted? Or is that information not published anywhere? Am curious to see how many people make it through after interviews.

I think they only do a first read of your file and essays, like an initial review based on GMAT, GPA and work ex because i got my interview back on 9th January. No way they could go in depth in like 6 days after the deadline.

Secondly the admissions director mentioned that approximately 70% of people get admitted after the interview which includes people who are wait listed as well.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
asiddiqi86 wrote:
brosnan6 wrote:

I think they only do a first read of your file and essays, like an initial review based on GMAT, GPA and work ex because i got my interview back on 9th January. No way they could go in depth in like 6 days after the deadline.

Secondly the admissions director mentioned that approximately 70% of people get admitted after the interview which includes people who are wait listed as well.

Interesting, thank you. I guess I'm wondering if I actually have a fighting chance and if the interview will make or break the deal. Like if they already did some sort of review of my stats and still decided to give me an interview, does that mean that the stats are "over" at this point/already met their criteria, and that the interview is the deciding factor at this point?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
brosnan6 wrote:
asiddiqi86 wrote:
brosnan6 wrote:

Interesting, thank you. I guess I'm wondering if I actually have a fighting chance and if the interview will make or break the deal. Like if they already did some sort of review of my stats and still decided to give me an interview, does that mean that the stats are "over" at this point/already met their criteria, and that the interview is the deciding factor at this point?

If they call you for an interview, it means they are interested in admitting you. And they want to confirm, that you are the same person that they imagined from the application, plus get some more details, of course. The admission folks are busy people, they wont bother inviting someone if they have some doubts from the application. So if you are invited, you have a extremely good chance of getting in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepeneurship
Schools:Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
GMAT 2: 620 GMAT 3: 700  Q46  V40
GPA: below 3.
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks
Send PM
If they call you for an interview, it means they are interested in admitting you. And they want to confirm, that you are the same person that they imagined from the application, plus get some more details, of course. The admission folks are busy people, they wont bother inviting someone if they have some doubts from the application. So if you are invited, you have a extremely good chance of getting in.[/quote]

Yeah I agree with the above. Although I am not too sure how I did. Had a decent interview but there were 1 or 2 questions that I should have answered better. All in all i had a decent interview, not great. So I am not sure whether those questions will keep me out or do they take a more holistic approach in evaluating your personality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [4]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
asiddiqi86 wrote:
If they call you for an interview, it means they are interested in admitting you. And they want to confirm, that you are the same person that they imagined from the application, plus get some more details, of course. The admission folks are busy people, they wont bother inviting someone if they have some doubts from the application. So if you are invited, you have a extremely good chance of getting in.

Yeah I agree with the above. Although I am not too sure how I did. Had a decent interview but there were 1 or 2 questions that I should have answered better. All in all i had a decent interview, not great. So I am not sure whether those questions will keep me out or do they take a more holistic approach in evaluating your personality.

If I may give my opinion, you should stop obsessing about it. Obviously, if you were invited to interview, your application was good enough to give you a decent shot at a spot on the class of 2015 (a better shot than those who didn't get invited have, wouldn't you agree?). Second of all, it is not '1 or 2 questions that you could have answered better' that is going to kill your chances. Everyone could have done something better in their application / interview, nobody is perfect. People in adcom are experienced, they obviously evaluate your candidacy as a whole, nobody has a perfect profile.

What I mean to say is, and I've said this before in other foruns here: believe in yourself and let it go! Your application has been sent, your interview is done, there is nothing else you can do about it. Hope for the best, and that positive energy might help you in the end.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
The fact decisions for all the waves will be on Mar 15 is a little cruel. The last wave ppl have to wait the shortest time but then again they have waited longest for the first notification........guess it evens out. I m still cheesed off though.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Do you think adcom is stringent on payment deadlines. Or do they entertain request for extensions by a couple of weeks. I have got admission into a few colleges but I am waiting for the result from Ross, which might be a game changer for me. But as decisions will only be rendered on the 15th, I was wondering if schools entertain requests for extensions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
slugabedd wrote:
Do you think adcom is stringent on payment deadlines. Or do they entertain request for extensions by a couple of weeks. I have got admission into a few colleges but I am waiting for the result from Ross, which might be a game changer for me. But as decisions will only be rendered on the 15th, I was wondering if schools entertain requests for extensions.

You won't know until you ask. Most won't though. They have their own internal deadlines to adhere to, which help them determine waitlist decisions among other things. You don't really have any leverage either. What will you say? Yeah, I don't want to give you money because you're not my first choice. Would you mind if I made you my backup plan but didn't pay you?

What's in it for them?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The approximately 70% of interviewees getting invites comes from this piece

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/12/15/th ... -business/

its a fantastic read for Ross applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Had my interview yesterday. I felt like it went pretty well.

In the Q&A session and the tour, the students talked quite a bit about how they are reducing the class size this year to about 440. They said there are two reasons - the building is getting too cramped, and secondly the consulting jobs are getting too competitive and there are a number of students not getting the consulting jobs they want.

I wasn't even aware they were dropping the class size so I wonder how much more competitive offers will be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
brosnan6 wrote:

I actually think an interview invite is not the final check and that if one aces it, they are not necessarily through. Personal experiences lead me to believe that.
I think it is definitely a VERY good sign -a filter of sorts by which adcom picks out their final pool of applicants that they will look at once again after all interviews are done with. This pool is obviously larger than the number of admits that they plan to give out in a round. Also I think its subdivided into pools based on applicant gender, nationality, industry etc..
Then I think you are compared with your peers in your sub-pool. Say for example, there were 20 other people similar to you (gender, GMAT, industry, nationality, interview/communication prowess, school fit etc), and for 'that profile' say they plan to only let in 5.
Then the best 5, again holistically, will be picked through a mechanism we will never know :). The remainder I suppose will either be wait-listed or dinged in a ratio that depends on how adcom perceives its yield for that sub-pool profile, and if its early or late in admissions process.

Again I have too much time on my hands waiting for a decision, so I spend time speculating how admissions work. Don't read too much into what I say. I think the bottom line is this time, waiting for a decision is only second to the time after getting in -which all of us may not have this season. No application trauma, no GMAT trauma, no interview trauma; Haven't felt that way in many months!
So I think its best to just enjoy it as best one can, keeping the hope up!

My 0.02$ :)

D3

Originally posted by Daedalus3 on 19 Feb 2013, 08:49.
Last edited by Daedalus3 on 19 Feb 2013, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts