Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Send PM
Re: 710 (Q48, V40) in 8 days [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Ethnix, as you can probably infer from my name, I have more experience with the Veritas CATs, which I find to be pretty good. I haven't checked out Kaplan's practice tests/question banks so I am unable to comment on that specifically. I can only talk about our own material which I have gone through personally and my opinion is that it does a good job in preparing you for actual GMAT questions.

Of course, any CATs you take can only help in your prep, and there is definite value in doing different CATs to see a wide spectrum of question types. A good choice for practicing CATs is the official GMAT prep tests, as well as the official guide for some practice questions. These are always good resources as they are designed to mimic the actual exam as much as possible.

If you're looking for a couple of new strategies or tips to try and boost your score, you might want to check out some of the GMAT books available. If you're mostly looking to do some practice questions and work on pacing, then any CAT should be a pretty good approximation, and whatever CATs you've been working with so far seem to be working for you.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Excellent ! 710 in 8 days, you are a Genius. :idea:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Got my official score now: 710, Q48, V40, AWA 6.0, IR 7
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Congratulations, ethnix!
Send PM
Expert Reply
ethnix wrote:
Got my official score now: 710, Q48, V40, AWA 6.0, IR 7

Really strong AWA and IR scores as well! I'd say everything worked out quite nicely for you. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks. After all I really think about a retake later, for the following reasons:

1) I didn't even train once for AWA. I think i could do that again. For IR I only noticed at the test that you have a calculator, which made it easier for me, but it was quite a new situation. I think I could make a 8 in IR.
2) I clearly noticed that I didn't have enough training for sometimes quite easy things.
3) I am a non-native speaker studying successfully in a MINT major. I think it is clear I should be better in Q than in V. Though I was much better in V, though only having trained SC. Hence it should be possible to get a Q50 at least and probably even improve in V.

Though for my near future I don't have any career ambitions to retake it - I will probably need to use such high scores in three or four years, definitely not earlier.

Do you think I should retake it with some better training, when I have time to prepare at least two weeks next time?
Send PM
Expert Reply
ethnix wrote:
Thanks. After all I really think about a retake later, for the following reasons:

Do you think I should retake it with some better training, when I have time to prepare at least two weeks next time?

Hi ethnix, most people don't retake the exam if they get a score like that (92nd percentile), but if you need a 95th or 99th percentile for whatever reason, then you can obviously redo it. Doing the exam once allows you to be better prepared for it the next time, so your score will probably go up if you maintain the same focus and study a little more. However, 710 will likely get you where you want to go, no need to repeat the exam unless it will lead to greater opportunities!

-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well I'm normally quite a - let's just call it - efficiency orientated person. But i'm not sure wether sth. like Stanford is a realistic goal with a 710 as my gpa is not so good, du to being 'efficiency orientated". I think i could realistically aim at a 740-750, with much higher chances for university of that range.
Send PM
Expert Reply
ethnix wrote:
Well I'm normally quite a - let's just call it - efficiency orientated person. But i'm not sure wether sth. like Stanford is a realistic goal with a 710 as my gpa is not so good, du to being 'efficiency orientated". I think i could realistically aim at a 740-750, with much higher chances for university of that range.

Yeah if you're aiming to get into a specific school then it's easier to look at what they want and aim for that. Something tells me you won't have too much trouble boosting that score if you apply yourself to your studies for a few solid weeks. Good luck and please keep the community posted!

-Ron
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts