Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink]
If you can afford it, the best is definitely better.

Originally posted by mbagraduate11 on 14 Feb 2013, 12:40.
Last edited by mbagraduate11 on 03 Mar 2014, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
ngould wrote:
Ok, I have two questions on this topic.

1. Say I want to get a corporate job (general management, finance, or leadership development program). Is it worth the high tuition costs to go to an elite business school (Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)? Or would I be better off going to a 25th to 50th ranked program where I could save roughly $80,000 from scholarships?

2. Same question but for 10th-15th ranked schools schools (Duke, Michigan, etc.). Is it worth the money?

Short answer is yes - the top schools are worth it. If you can get into a top B-school, you should go. Now the debate starts to heat up if you get into a top 5, i.e. Booth, Kellogg with no scholarship money and a 10-15 school like Ross with a full ride, then you need to examine the situation. In this case, if you find that the same companies you want to work for recruit at both schools and at the end of the day going to a top five would just get you a few more "oohs" and "ahhs" at cocktail parties when you tell people where you went to school, the Ross-type school would be the better choice.

The thing to take away from this is that there is a wide chasm between the top 15 and the 25-50. The 25-50 schools may give you a scholarship, but if you can't get hired by the company you want to work for, it probably wasn't worth forgoing two years of salary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
ngould wrote:
Ok, I have two questions on this topic.

1. Say I want to get a corporate job (general management, finance, or leadership development program). Is it worth the high tuition costs to go to an elite business school (Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)? Or would I be better off going to a 25th to 50th ranked program where I could save roughly $80,000 from scholarships?

2. Same question but for 10th-15th ranked schools schools (Duke, Michigan, etc.). Is it worth the money?

Short answer is yes - the top schools are worth it. If you can get into a top B-school, you should go. Now the debate starts to heat up if you get into a top 5, i.e. Booth, Kellogg with no scholarship money and a 10-15 school like Ross with a full ride, then you need to examine the situation. In this case, if you find that the same companies you want to work for recruit at both schools and at the end of the day going to a top five would just get you a few more "oohs" and "ahhs" at cocktail parties when you tell people where you went to school, the Ross-type school would be the better choice.

The thing to take away from this is that there is a wide chasm between the top 15 and the 25-50. The 25-50 schools may give you a scholarship, but if you can't get hired by the company you want to work for, it probably wasn't worth forgoing two years of salary.

I couldn`t agree more.
GMAT Club Bot