Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink]
Concerning guidebooks, the Powerscore CR Bible is a reliable option. I'm not sure whether a RC guidebook would be of much help, however. As for questions, LSAT question banks are extremely helpful for RC practice. LSAT RC passages are typically more complex and longer than their GMAT counterparts. LSAT is also helpful for LR (CR) practice, but some question types will not be tested on the GMAT.

See here for more information: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
BM wrote:
Concerning guidebooks, the Powerscore CR Bible is a reliable option. I'm not sure whether a RC guidebook would be of much help, however. As for questions, LSAT question banks are extremely helpful for RC practice. LSAT RC passages are typically more complex and longer than their GMAT counterparts. LSAT is also helpful for LR (CR) practice, but some question types will not be tested on the GMAT.

See here for more information: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html

Warning, I'm actually relatively strong in verbal. However, my problem is that my brain has to be conditioned for it.

I'm using LSAT books for CR and Reading Comprehension and I highly recommend it for practice before wading in the GMAT CR, RC. As long as you are somewhat familiar with the CR forms that the GMAT tests on, you can ignore the LSAT questions that bare no resemblance.

RC for the LSAT is great for stamina. Although they are longer than what you'd face on the GMAT, it's still great practice trying to sort information/arguments. I would honestly say that for RC, reading Scientific American has helped me a ton since I'm not familiar with science/technical writing.

I feel like the LSAT is often overlooked as a source, quite frankly.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
fameatop wrote:
I would like to know the feedback of GMAT Experts regarding the best sources for:-
Note :- Kindly exclude OG & Verbal guides.
-Kindly rate the content as either 700+, 600-700, or Below 600 to maintain consistency
-Kindly mention the sources separately for each of the 4 questions.

1) Best Sources for CR preparation (Max 2 sources)
2) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for CR Practice questions (Max 2 sources)

3) Best Sources for RC preparation (Max 2 sources)
4) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for RC practice questions (Max 2 sources)

Waiting for active participation of ALL GMAT Experts.

Fame

Responding to a pm:

What you are trying to do here isn't very practical, Fame. Just like the adcom doesn't rank the applicants but instead pools them into buckets of accepted, waitlisted and not accepted, one cannot rank the prep sources but only pool them into useful/not useful, depending on one's own opinion. Mind you, due to its very nature, this exercise itself is very subjective because we all have different frames of reference and what I may say is suitable, you may not.

Still, if you are someone who believes that majority is right, people who have worked on multiple sources could give their opinion and you could use it to chalk your future plan. I don't think that experts of particular prep companies can help you much in this regard since we don't carry the prep books of our competitors; well, at least I have no books of Kaplan/Knewton/MGMAT/... to compare them with each other and arrive at a 'winner' in my opinion. So I will be of very little help in what you set out to do.

The truth is that the best sources for you will depend on your individual requirement. I have known people to need nothing more than a few days with OG. Then there are others who buy every book in the market. Since I don't know what it is that you are looking for, I am hardly in a position to advise.

What I can do is tell you what I think about the Veritas RC and CR books. I think they are excellent. They are concise and clear on the theory, are very to-the-point, highlight the things you must keep in mind, help you learn how to start in the right direction and also help you develop your own individual strategy. Now the point is that if you are not very confident of your fundamentals in CR, the books will be very useful. They will lay down clear cut fundamentals to help you train your mind to the way CR works. If you know exactly what it is that you have to do and are just looking for some 750+ level practice questions, the books will have limited usage for you. The books also have tons of very good practice questions. I especially like the practice questions of the RC book since they are some of the toughest and smartest GMAT-style RC passages that I have seen. You can yourself take a look inside the books at amazon.com.
(I must inform you here that the new edition will be out on amazon in a few days (it is already out on our website) and that is available only as a full set. Individual books are still available on amazon but they are not of this latest edition.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM