Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [39]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International business
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618999 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [4]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: What is the area of parallelogram ABCD ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
tkarthi4u wrote:
What is the area of parallelogram ABCD ?
1) AB = BC = CD = DA = 1
2) AC = BD = (2^1/2)

(1) Says that ABCD is a rhombus. Area of rhombus d1*d2/2 (d1 and d2 are the lengths of a diagonals) or b*h (b is the length of the base, h is the altitude (height).) Insufficient

(2) Says that ABCD is a rectangle. Area of a rectangle L*W (length*width) Insufficient.

(1)+(2) ABCD is rectangle and rhombus --> ABCD is square --> Area=1^2=1 or (2^1/2)*(2^1/2)/2=1

C.

Bunuel,
A rhombus and a square with same lengths have different areas?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618999 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
tkarthi4u wrote:
What is the area of parallelogram ABCD ?
1) AB = BC = CD = DA = 1
2) AC = BD = (2^1/2)

(1) Says that ABCD is a rhombus. Area of rhombus d1*d2/2 (d1 and d2 are the lengths of a diagonals) or b*h (b is the length of the base, h is the altitude (height).) Insufficient

(2) Says that ABCD is a rectangle. Area of a rectangle L*W (length*width) Insufficient.

(1)+(2) ABCD is rectangle and rhombus --> ABCD is square --> Area=1^2=1 or (2^1/2)*(2^1/2)/2=1

C.

Bunuel,
A rhombus and a square with same lengths have different areas?

Good question.

If you squeeze a square along its diagonal you'll get a rhombus. Different rhombuses you'll get while doing that, will have different area. So, the answer to your question is yes.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Send PM
Pardon me. I didn't get you, Bunuel..

Are you saying that the square and different shapes of rhombuses with same length will have different areas?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:

Are you saying that the square and different shapes of rhombuses with same length will have different areas?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

ok thanks..
Now 2 questions:
1)if the square and different shapes of rhombuses with same length will have different areas, the square will have the largest area . Guess this is correct.

2)this question seems dubious now to me.. A square is also a parallelogram and even a rhombus is.. so how can we be sure that ABCD is not a square and is a rhombus.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618999 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

ok thanks..
Now 2 questions:
1)if the square and different shapes of rhombuses with same length will have different areas, the square will have the largest area . Guess this is correct.

2)this question seems dubious now to me.. A square is also a parallelogram and even a rhombus is.. so how can we be sure that ABCD is not a square and is a rhombus.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Anyway:
From (1) we have that the parallelogram is also a rhombus (because the sides are equal).
From (2) we have that the parallelogram is also a rectangle (because the diagonals are equal).

So, our parallelogram is a rhombus AND a rectangle, so it's a square!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
I have a doubt in the explanation of this question. The official ans says that all four sides of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rhombus but this is the property of square(a parallelogram) as well...?\
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
swati007 wrote:
I have a doubt in the explanation of this question. The official ans says that all four sides of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rhombus but this is the property of square(a parallelogram) as well...?

Yes, both a rhombus and a square have equal sides. From (1) we know that ABCD is a rhombus. A rhombus is a special type of a square, so from (1) ABCD is a rhombus and can be a square.

What is the area of parallelogram \(ABCD\)?

Notice that we are told that ABCD is a parallelogram.

(1) \(AB = BC =CD = DA = 1\) --> all four sides of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rhombus. Area of a rhombus equals to \(\frac{d_1*d_2}{2}\) (where \(d_1\) and \(d_2\) are the lengths of the diagonals) or \(bh\) (where \(b\) is the length of the base and \(h\) is the altitude), so we don't have enough data to calculate the area. Not sufficient.

(2) \(AC = BD = \sqrt{2}\) --> the diagonals of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rectangle. Area of a rectangle equals to length*width, so again we don't have enough data to calculate the area. Not sufficient. Notice that you cannot find the area of a rectangle just knowing the length of its diagonal.

(1)+(2) ABCD is a rectangle and a rhombus, so it's a square --> area=side^2=1^2=1. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunnel,

Diagonal of a square is also equals. then if both the diagonals are equal and root 2 then we have side as 1 and we can calculate the area.

Please clarify.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
PathFinder007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
swati007 wrote:
I have a doubt in the explanation of this question. The official ans says that all four sides of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rhombus but this is the property of square(a parallelogram) as well...?

Yes, both a rhombus and a square have equal sides. From (1) we know that ABCD is a rhombus. A rhombus is a special type of a square, so from (1) ABCD is a rhombus and can be a square.

What is the area of parallelogram \(ABCD\)?

Notice that we are told that ABCD is a parallelogram.

(1) \(AB = BC =CD = DA = 1\) --> all four sides of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rhombus. Area of a rhombus equals to \(\frac{d_1*d_2}{2}\) (where \(d_1\) and \(d_2\) are the lengths of the diagonals) or \(bh\) (where \(b\) is the length of the base and \(h\) is the altitude), so we don't have enough data to calculate the area. Not sufficient.

(2) \(AC = BD = \sqrt{2}\) --> the diagonals of parallelogram ABCD are equal, which implies that ABCD is a rectangle. Area of a rectangle equals to length*width, so again we don't have enough data to calculate the area. Not sufficient. Notice that you cannot find the area of a rectangle just knowing the length of its diagonal.

(1)+(2) ABCD is a rectangle and a rhombus, so it's a square --> area=side^2=1^2=1. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunnel,

Diagonal of a square is also equals. then if both the diagonals are equal and root 2 then we have side as 1 and we can calculate the area.

Please clarify.

Please read the red part in my solution. Why should the sides equal to 1? Why cannot they be any numbers satisfying \(x^2+y^2=2\)?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618999 [1]
Send PM