Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink]
naveenernesto wrote:
ManhattanReview wrote:
I would not pursue a MS in Finance pre-MBA simply as much of what you will cover in finance classes during your MBA studies will be covered in your MS Finance studies. Also, when you apply for your MBA degree you are going to have to present your career goals (either in the essay or in the interview) and if you continue on your finance career theme, the conclusion can easily be that you already have the education you need to successfully achieve your goals so there is no compelling need to award you a spot in a class. Also, there is the case of time, money and energy - all of which will increase due to the additional year of study (based on the schools you are targeting, this will be at least $60,000 if you are not sponsored or awarded scholarship or financial aid).

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Hi Kim

Really appreciate the reply. Yes i do understand your point. and my further research concluded your point. i do not have a financial under grad or any relevant work ex. So what activities are preferred to show the adcom that i had done some learning towards my career goal. i am very much serious about it and interested to learn some basics in finance. a CFA certification is any good.? please advice. Thank you.

Perhaps passing the CFA level 1 can help, since I heard that CFA level 1 curriculum is a condensed version of an undergrad in finance. It can shown to the adcom that you are commited to the field and already have some basic knowledge.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Many people do an MSF and then an MBA. Your situation is a little different. The profile of MSF students are usually 0-2 years of experience and looking to break in to front office finance in an analyst role. Since you are already at 3 years of experience you are more of an MBA candidate at this point. The CFA might be a good route for you to go without disrupting your career.

Now, with that said, Princeton's MFin is a great substitute for an MBA if your goal is to work and stay in finance. It is very quantitative and more in depth than anything you will get in an MBA program. Also, you are really looking at MFE programs which are different than an MSF program. If you have an engineering background I think these programs would be a good fit. It would also play well with your IT background since MFE programs tend to incorporate programming and coding.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AnthonyD1982 wrote:
Many people do an MSF and then an MBA. Your situation is a little different. The profile of MSF students are usually 0-2 years of experience and looking to break in to front office finance in an analyst role. Since you are already at 3 years of experience you are more of an MBA candidate at this point. The CFA might be a good route for you to go without disrupting your career.

Now, with that said, Princeton's MFin is a great substitute for an MBA if your goal is to work and stay in finance. It is very quantitative and more in depth than anything you will get in an MBA program. Also, you are really looking at MFE programs which are different than an MSF program. If you have an engineering background I think these programs would be a good fit. It would also play well with your IT background since MFE programs tend to incorporate programming and coding.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Anthony. Still on the research. Would count your advice in. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
If I were you I would study for CFA L1 and look at a financial engineering program. You already have the software background and the education (I am assuming) which will make you eligible for MFE type programs. This will be a much easier path to get into finance and will play off your previous experience. If you wanted to say do investment banking then I would suggest prepping for your MBA application and trying to enter at an associate level.

Economy is tough right now, especially in the financial sector. If you require sponsorship that will only add to the difficulty.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Listen to Anthony. ManhattanReview has no clue what they are talking about.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
LOL Thanks Commdiver. I wouldn't be that harsh, but the MSF is a really niche degree. Not many graduate admissions counselors have had experience with it since it doesn't have the investment that an MBA would have, nor the initial return.

I give advice as someone who not only knows as ton (and always learning some new things), but also as someone who has the degree and went through the process. I've also experienced the common story that most MSF hopefuls have (BO -> MO -> FO).

Either way, happy to help and hope my advice helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Maybe that was harsh, but if a masters weakens your application for an MBA down the road, then engineering students would not make up the largest part of MBA classes (most do UG + 1-year MS engineering).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts