Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: On a certain 50-question test, each correct answer is worth [#permalink]
langus91 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've got a problem with the question below. Any help would be much appreciated!

---

On a certain 50-question test, each correct answer is worth 2 points, with no penalty for incorrect answers. If the minimum passing score on the test is 60, did Ethel pass the test?

(1) Ethel answered 10 more questions correctly on the first half of the test than on the second half
(2) Ethel answered more than half of the questions on the test correctly

The correct answer is: Statements (1) and (2) taken TOGETHER are NOT SUFFICIENT.

---

I understand why the Statement (2) is inconclusive, however I'm struggling with the first one.

At worst she could have answered 10 questions correctly in the first part and none in the second. What about the best option?

In Kaplan they explain at best she could have answered 25 questions in the first and 15 in the second part. Why? Why not 30 and 20, respectively? It adds up to 50 questions.

Once again thank you in advance for the clarification :)

case(1) let no. of questions answered in 2nd half is x
so questions answered in 1st half are x + 10
score = 2(x + x+10) = 20 +4x....nothing can be said

case 2 ...not sufficient..as total correctly answred can be 26, 27,.......50

using both case 1 and case 2
total questions answered correctly
2x + 10 > 25
2x>15
x>7.5
so minimum x = 8
hence score = 20+4x8
= 20 + 32
= 52
= pass

hence option(c)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jbishit, your analysis is correct, however the passing grade is 60. Putting the two conditions together, Ethel got either 52, 56, 60, 64, 68, 72, 76 or 80 on the test. 2 fails and 6 passes. This is classic insufficiency as we have possible answers on both sides of the minimum passing grade. It can't be (C).

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
(1) insufficient: more than 10 questions of the first half, but not sure of the second half
(2) insufficient: more than a half of questions, may be 26, 27, 28, 29 questions, the results are not higher than 60 --> cannot pass
(1) + (2) insufficient
==> Answer is E
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
langus91 wrote:
Hey guys,

---

On a certain 50-question test, each correct answer is worth 2 points, with no penalty for incorrect answers. If the minimum passing score on the test is 60, did Ethel pass the test?

(1) Ethel answered 10 more questions correctly on the first half of the test than on the second half

The correct answer is: Statements (1) and (2) taken TOGETHER are NOT SUFFICIENT.

---

I understand why the Statement (2) is inconclusive, however I'm struggling with the first one.

At worst she could have answered 10 questions correctly in the first part and none in the second. What about the best option?

In Kaplan they explain at best she could have answered 25 questions in the first and 15 in the second part. Why? Why not 30 and 20, respectively? It adds up to 50 questions.

This too should be pretty straightforward

Let's see what question stem says

It says there are 50 questions, you need to answer at least 30 to pass and you get 2 points for each correct answer, while no penalties for incorrect answers

Did she pass the test?

1) She answered 10 more correct on the second half than on the first half

So first half is 25 questions of course, let's try picking some numbers to proof this statement

First option she answered 1 correctly in the first half and 11 correctly on the second half, she failed the test
Second option she answered 15 correctly in the first half and 25 correctly on the second half, she passed the test

Hence, Insuff

2) She answered more than 25 questions correctly

Obviously insuff

(1) + (2)

Choices now incorporating second statement could be

She answered 8 correctly in first half and 18 correctly on second half, 26 total she failed
She answered 10 correctly in first half and 20 correctly on the second half, 30 total she passed

Hence E

Hope it helps
Consider providing Kudos if you find it easy to follow

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
langus91 wrote:
Hey guys,

---

---

This too should be pretty straightforward

Let's see what question stem says

It says there are 50 questions, you need to answer at least 30 to pass and you get 2 points for each correct answer, while no penalties for incorrect answers

Did she pass the test?

1) She answered 10 more correct on the second half than on the first half

So first half is 25 questions of course, let's try picking some numbers to proof this statement

First option she answered 1 correctly in the first half and 11 correctly on the second half, she failed the test
Second option she answered 15 correctly in the first half and 25 correctly on the second half, she passed the test

Hence, Insuff

2) She answered more than 25 questions correctly

Obviously insuff

(1) + (2)

Choices now incorporating second statement could be

She answered 8 correctly in first half and 18 correctly on second half, 26 total she failed
She answered 10 correctly in first half and 20 correctly on the second half, 30 total she passed

Hence E

Hope it helps
Consider providing Kudos if you find it easy to follow

Cheers!
J :)

Can we take this assumption ? I mean it is not explicitly specified
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618869 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM