Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Trends in MBA Applications: Last 6 Cycles VS Last 2 Cycles [#permalink]
OptimisticApplicant wrote:
Pretty hard to interpret this graph without any indication of applicant quality...E.g., HBS received 1,500 more applications than they did 6 years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the program is more competitive...what if they have just been marketing towards a lot more "low quality" applicants in an effort to decrease their acceptance rate (and increase their selectivity ranking)...

Well, having knowledge about the applicant quality would be great as that will give us better insights. However, we're faced with two challenges:
1. 'applicant quality' might be a bit hard to define. Some might say that the GMAT is the best indicator of applicant quality. I'd disagree with this since I believe quality is a combination of work experience, GMAT, GPA and community work.

Nevertheless, it'd be great to see a breakdown of these net applicants VS GMAT score ranges and distribution.

2. Unfortunately, not all schools publish their applicant pool's GMAT score ranges and distribution.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
theK wrote:
Pretty hard to interpret this graph without any indication of applicant quality...E.g., HBS received 1,500 more applications than they did 6 years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the program is more competitive...what if they have just been marketing towards a lot more "low quality" applicants in an effort to decrease their acceptance rate (and increase their selectivity ranking)...

Well, having knowledge about the applicant quality would be great as that will give us better insights. However, we're faced with two challenges:
1. 'applicant quality' might be a bit hard to define. Some might say that the GMAT is the best indicator of applicant quality. I'd disagree with this since I believe quality is a combination of work experience, GMAT, GPA and community work.

Nevertheless, it'd be great to see a breakdown of these net applicants VS GMAT score ranges and distribution.

2. Unfortunately, not all schools publish their applicant pool's GMAT score ranges and distribution.

Completely agree that the applicant quality data is not available and that it is challenging to define applicant quality metrics. My argument is that any insights gleaned without a sense of applicant quality aren't particularily useful. I don't think you can say "School X is doing something right" or "School Y is doing something wrong" soley because of their changes in application volume.

For example, CBS applications are down 19% year-over-year - on the surface, that seems like a really bad thing for CBS...however, the class profile for the Class entering 2011 and Class entering 2012 aren't that different in terms of GMAT/GPA:

2011: average GMAT: 716, average GPA: 3.5
2012: average GMAT: 715, average GPA: 3.5

So if the quality (in this case defined by GMAT/GPA) of the class is more or less the same, is it really a "bad thing" for CBS that their applications are down 19% year-over-year? I'm not really sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Completely agree that the applicant quality data is not available and that it is challenging to define applicant quality metrics. My argument is that any insights gleaned without a sense of applicant quality aren't particularily useful. I don't think you can say "School X is doing something right" or "School Y is doing something wrong" soley because of their changes in application volume.

For example, CBS applications are down 19% year-over-year - on the surface, that seems like a really bad thing for CBS...however, the class profile for the Class entering 2011 and Class entering 2012 aren't that different in terms of GMAT/GPA:

So if the quality (in this case defined by GMAT/GPA) of the class is more or less the same, is it really a "bad thing" for CBS that their applications are down 19% year-over-year? I'm not really sure.

I think it's more indicative of the demand for a CBS education, rather than the quality of the student body or of the value of an MBA from CBS.

Any way you slice it, we're talking a drop in 1,260 applications for Columbia year-over-year. That means that fewer applicants are buying what Columbia's adcom is selling - a shot at a CBS education - along with $315,000 in lost revenue from app fees (assuming everyone pays the fee).

As you mentioned before, the school has an incentive from rankings to get more applications simply so that they can reject more applications. I'm not sure if that really has an effect on the quality of the student body or the teaching, given that their acceptance rate's still in the teens, but the school will definitely be in trouble if the blip turns into a trend.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheFool wrote:

I think it's more indicative of the demand for a CBS education, rather than the quality of the student body or of the value of an MBA from CBS.

Any way you slice it, we're talking a drop in 1,260 applications for Columbia year-over-year. That means that fewer applicants are buying what Columbia's adcom is selling - a shot at a CBS education - along with $315,000 in lost revenue from app fees (assuming everyone pays the fee).

As you mentioned before, the school has an incentive from rankings to get more applications simply so that they can reject more applications. I'm not sure if that really has an effect on the quality of the student body or the teaching, given that their acceptance rate's still in the teens, but the school will definitely be in trouble if the blip turns into a trend.

That all make sense to me. I guess my contention is really with U.S. News for ranking on the selectivity variable - why should any stakeholders (applicants, recruiters, etc.) care about all-in demand for the education if it doesn't impact the quality of the degree?
GMAT Club Bot