Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink]
ysouren wrote:
Thanks for your response foars!

On what aspect do you think SSE outperforms Cass?

Based on previous posts I've read, I'm guessing that you think Cass has a better reputation and offers superior career prospects?

The reason I am considering EDHEC is that they offered me a nice scholarship, plus EDHEC offers the opportunity to gain a double degree from LSE or Cambridge, which sounds like an interesting deal too.

SSE is very highly regarded in EU, especially by financial institutions. Cass has much better international recognition and will give you more career prospects. Unless you speak french I see no point going with EDHEC. Even in France it's ranked 5th and they prefer engineer graduates for sales/trading.
Regarding the double diploma, I don't know about cambridge but the thing you get from LSE is a diploma in accounting and finance and not a "masters" degree. I just assume even if they have anything substantial with cambridge it must be like 1 student / whole intake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
foars wrote:
SSE is very highly regarded in EU, especially by financial institutions. Cass has much better international recognition and will give you more career prospects. Unless you speak french I see no point going with EDHEC. Even in France it's ranked 5th and they prefer engineer graduates for sales/trading.
Regarding the double diploma, I don't know about cambridge but the thing you get from LSE is a diploma in accounting and finance and not a "masters" degree. I just assume even if they have anything substantial with cambridge it must be like 1 student / whole intake.

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it. No, I don't speak French, other than basic conversational French.

Based on the information of several fora, it seems like there's a general consensus on the limited career prospects of EDHEC. However, if that's the case, then what causes the discrepancy between this consensus and for example the Financial Times Master in Finance (Pre-experience) ranking? Surely, it can't solely be explained by reputation factors, can it?

The Financial Times rank EDHEC 6th, whereas Cass is listed 10 solid places below that: 16th. SSE is even further down the ladder: rank 18. Looking into the "Alumni career progress" section, it seems that EDHEC is outperforming Cass at all points..

I'm sorry about whining on about all this, it just appears that the above information really contrasts to the the information posted on student fora...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FT rankings are very unreliable. Ranking MIM's as ESCP>HEC>ESSEC and Bocconi at 27th Place in MFin rankings says a lot. I think they rankings are more for average students looking for course satisfaction, faculty, value for money or employment stats. If a student attends EDHEC Msc Finance and then lands a job as financial analyst at some medium sized company of course he would be happy to rate the degree good because he wasn't aiming higher than that. The rankings would be completely different for people seeking a career in consulting/finance.

Not saying Cass is a good school as well because I hardly know much about it but I can surely make a comparison against EDHEC.

ysouren wrote:
foars wrote:

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it. No, I don't speak French, other than basic conversational French.

Based on the information of several fora, it seems like there's a general consensus on the limited career prospects of EDHEC. However, if that's the case, then what causes the discrepancy between this consensus and for example the Financial Times Master in Finance (Pre-experience) ranking? Surely, it can't solely be explained by reputation factors, can it?

The Financial Times rank EDHEC 6th, whereas Cass is listed 10 solid places below that: 16th. SSE is even further down the ladder: rank 18. Looking into the "Alumni career progress" section, it seems that EDHEC is outperforming Cass at all points..

I'm sorry about whining on about all this, it just appears that the above information really contrasts to the the information posted on student fora...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone,

I am an Edhec MSc Finance international alumni and I decided to share some thoughts on the programme.
If you speak fluent French, have the legal right and want to live and work in France after graduation, then the clear choice is Edhec. Otherwise, pick Cass.

In France, they offer many internships and some of them (5-7%) do not require fluent French. However, most of these internships do not lead to full-time employment (about 90%). In France, no one is going to hire a non-fluent French speaker and no one is going to sponsor you for a work visa. The staff from Edhec’s career centre is very friendly but it is not going to find you a job/internship. They will just help you with your CV, Cover Letter, with mock interviews and give you other advices.

In general, I would not recommend any of these schools for international students (non-EU). I have heard that recently the UK government discontinued the 2 year work visa programme for international students that have obtained a university degree there. Cass is also very expensive and if you are not going to work in the UK after graduation (at least for a while), it is a waste of your money. The same is true with Edhec.

I would recommend for international students to go to Canada & the US (even in second/third-tier schools). Both countries offer opportunities for students to work there after graduation and to eventually obtain a permanent resident (Canada) and a citizenship later on. The people in North America are also more open minded (compared to Europe) and most of them will not discriminate based on nationality, race etc. (which is very common in France and most EU countries – indirectly).

I hope my comments would be helpful to those that want to do a MSc Finance degree.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts