Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Chat Moderator
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Manhattan GMAT Advanced Sections [#permalink]
Xgineer wrote:
Do you think that the advanced sections are absolutely necessary to get a score above 700?

I think you will need to have a good grasp of different ways to use the basic concepts. The GMAT will not require you to memorize most of those advanced strategies, but give you problems in which you will have to apply the basic concepts in a creative way. I think it's important to at least skim those advanced sections so you can get the gist of the ways they can test certain subjects.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Xgineer wrote:
Do you think that the advanced sections are absolutely necessary to get a score above 700?

Hi Xgineer,

In my opinion the answer to your question is yes; the Advanced sections cover a lot of important topics. Moreover, they have also provided a list of OG questions to solve in which you an apply those advanced skills. They say those as advanced sections because they use a combination of topics to explain concepts/ questions. You can have a 700 score without scoring very highly in quant, provided your verbal is extremely good. But if you want a score of say 48+ in quant, then the Advanced sections are absolutely necessary. The quality that will drive your score to new heights is the awareness of your strengths and weaknesses. From my experience, if one feels that one is weak in quant then the best approach will be to first study the basic concepts + the related OG questions, then move on to the Advanced sections + OG questions. Doing OG qestions along with you studying of cocepts is highly recommended. All the best !!

Hope this helps,

Vercules
Chat Moderator
Send PM
After doing the upper level quant og problems, I see why the advanced sections are useful. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I have scored 48 on the quant section of MGMAT CAT without any practice. I'm aiming for 50/51 and I don't own any of the MGMAT quant books. What should I do to get my score to 50/51? It seems absurd to buy all of the 6 books when I am already scoring 48. Do you think that MGMAT advanced quant book will be sufficient for me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
masoy wrote:
I have scored 48 on the quant section of MGMAT CAT without any practice. I'm aiming for 50/51 and I don't own any of the MGMAT quant books. What should I do to get my score to 50/51? It seems absurd to buy all of the 6 books when I am already scoring 48. Do you think that MGMAT advanced quant book will be sufficient for me?

Hi masoy,

Yes, it will be useful for you. But, just go through the basic quant stuff first, not necessarily from MGMAT, from OG etc to address your weaknesses if any. If you feel confident enough in the basic concepts tested in GMAT, then there is no harm in going directly to the MGMAT Advanced quant book. MGMAT + Official resources will be sufficient for you.

Vercules
GMAT Club Bot