Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Melbourne '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Melbourne '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink]
Kudos
anirudhroxx wrote:
Thank you Non-Yankee.That was really helpful.I am looking to apply for masters in management course as well planning to apply for MMS at Duke Fuqua.Although I found that the average score for applicants there was 660,Read somewhere that u need to have a really good score above 700 to get an admit.My profile is average as in I have done my graduation in Metallurgy and material sciences(B.Tech) from National Institute of technology-India with a CGPA 7.6/10 in 2011.I have done an internship for 2 months in a Steel Industry during college,Worked as a Consultant at a Financial technology firm in Mumbai for 13 months after graduation and Im currently working at a NPO for children at risk as an Intern for career awareness. I have switched through many industries and its worrying me that It will be considered negatively,precisely the reason why I want to get a high score so as to get calls from universities.Can u advise me whether I have to apply with this score or re-take it?Moreover I am hopeful that since i know the mistakes i have done I might be able to improve my score by30-40 points with little effort.

You sound like you have quite a varied background, which you simply need to present in the best light possible. Do not apologize for it, or it will be seen as a weakness. You can make the argument that you have great adaptability and you can learn new things quickly. You also have a broad perspective. These are skills recruiters look for (link). Make sure you can illustrate this with stories, not just with work history. Explain each career move in a logical way. The simpler the explanation, the better (like Occam's Razor). It might be that every move took you closer and closer to what you really want to do (and you finally know what that is!).

The GMAT is the one component of the application that is can be improved most rapidly, and schools know that. Work experience can't change much in the course of one day, but the GMAT can. I've heard of schools admitting applicants conditionally, saying that they simply need to improve their GMAT by matriculation. Also, I really doubt your GMAT will be a liability. It's 680. That's above average for the program you're looking at. And it's solidly within the 80% range of just about any school out there.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts