Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [19]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q50, V44) - First Try - The story behind it [#permalink]
Hey,

Congratulations for the wonderful score. I have just started my GMAT Prep and I might not have as much time as you had to prepare. Can you give me some tips to cut down my preparation time?

Also, I do not know what the MGMAT material is? And by the GMAT review, I hope you mean the OG? Sorry if this sounds silly!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dhruvd wrote:
Hey,

Congratulations for the wonderful score. I have just started my GMAT Prep and I might not have as much time as you had to prepare. Can you give me some tips to cut down my preparation time?

Also, I do not know what the MGMAT material is? And by the GMAT review, I hope you mean the OG? Sorry if this sounds silly!

Hey,

Thanks a lot ! ! Sorry, my bad, the GMAT review is the OG 13 and then you have the specialized Verbal 2nd edition and Quant 2nd Edition. Also, the MGMAT Preps are the Manhattan GMAT Prep Materials. I got the complete set of 10 books from them [basically 1 for each verbal section, then a bunch for quant (algebra, number proprieties, geometry etc.), and a general guidebook).

I guess if I were to cut some time, and I would have 6 weeks, I would do:

1 week of getting used to question formats (covering all the types of sections in the OG);
2 weeks of going through essential theory (from MGMAT/other prep material and OG) and brushing up weaknesses identified in the 1st week;
2 weeks with 2 CATs per week (Monday/Friday), working through OG and MGMAT practice questions on (Tue/Wed/Thu) - focusing on stuff that you're weaker at; (keep brushing up theory)
1 week of ONLY GMAT Prep stuff - GMAT Prep CATs (Monday/Friday), only OG practice questions on (Tue/Wed/Thu)
(last 2 days before the exam, only review questions that you got wrong in the OG, make sure you know how to solve them now - especially in quant)

That would be my plan honestly - and in my case, the GMAT CATs were by far the most accurate test predictors - there are subtle differences between real GMAT questions and prep material questions, and it's useful to be totally in the zone with the real stuff by the time you take the exam. As I said before, I was a big CAT test fan, as this really helped me to deal with time management and adjust stuff on-the-go during the real thing. In quant, for example, I had 21 mins left with 12 questions to go, I speeded things up and got back on track without panicking.

Obviously, this is just my opinion - I am sure there are many other ways of timing things.

Hope it helps and good luck ! !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Thanks for the advice! Seems good. I'll start preparing and tell you how it goes :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
See how it goes and just adapt it as fast as you can to your own rhythm and needs - you should also check out what other people are saying on this site regarding prep schedules :)

All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT Date: 09-14-2013
Send PM
How beneficial did you find the Advanced Sections of the MGMAT books?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

Well, when it comes to the MGMAT Books, I mainly used them for the Quant section - I didn't bother going all out on the Verbal stuff, since, in my case, all I needed to do in Verbal was to get used to the type of questions in the test and to the kind of reasoning needed to solve them.

Sooooo - for the Quant Section of the MGMAT books, I have to say that I found a bit of a disconnect between their advanced questions and the type of advanced questions on the actual GMAT/ GMAT Prep. What I did find very useful though were the Word Problems / Overlapping Sets / Combinatorics explanations in the MGMAT books - they really helped me get a better grip on these areas in which I was kind of weak.

I don't really know what else to say - hope this helped
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Congrats on the great score and good luck with your applications . From your experience what do you advise me to do regarding these aspects?

1.Which is more advisable , to dedicate a few days for studying each section individually or doing mixed sets?

2.How to make the best use of an error log ? I mean that I keep a reference of every question I get wrong (indicating the error type), guess or am not sure of the answer (even if correct). How many times a week do I have to check this log ? and how do I best exploit this data for my improvement?

Thanks in advance :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TheNona wrote:
Congrats on the great score and good luck with your applications . From your experience what do you advise me to do regarding these aspects?

1.Which is more advisable , to dedicate a few days for studying each section individually or doing mixed sets?

2.How to make the best use of an error log ? I mean that I keep a reference of every question I get wrong (indicating the error type), guess or am not sure of the answer (even if correct). How many times a week do I have to check this log ? and how do I best exploit this data for my improvement?

Hey,

Some really good questions there, I wish I had the magic answers to clear things up, but there's no right/wrong recipe for it.

1. For your first question, my advice would be to do individual sections, especially for the stuff that you have identified as weaknesses - really go at them, get the theory right and nail a good 20 questions right on that topic. (the problem solving part should help you in memorizing the correct way to solve these problems in the
future)

2. If you're uber organized, you could probably undergo this really detailed approach you mentioned - in my case, it was more intuitive let's say - i would identify the general topics in which I kept making mistakes, and I would go back to the MGMAT books, revise their advice on how to solve them, and go back and solve problems - it was a back and forth - for probabilities, I pbbly did this about 4 times - by the end, I was getting them right. I don't think there is a clear mathematical formula to go by (check 3 times on SC, check twice on geometry DS) - I think that with time, your brain gets accustomed to the types of questions the GMAT gives you. You start acting intuitively - especially in Verbal (sometimes, an answer just LOOKS RIGHT).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, as I said, I wish I had the answers, it would have made my job a lot easier too

All the best and good luck to you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
isacr wrote:
TheNona wrote:

Hey,

Some really good questions there, I wish I had the magic answers to clear things up, but there's no right/wrong recipe for it.

1. For your first question, my advice would be to do individual sections, especially for the stuff that you have identified as weaknesses - really go at them, get the theory right and nail a good 20 questions right on that topic. (the problem solving part should help you in memorizing the correct way to solve these problems in the
future)

2. If you're uber organized, you could probably undergo this really detailed approach you mentioned - in my case, it was more intuitive let's say - i would identify the general topics in which I kept making mistakes, and I would go back to the MGMAT books, revise their advice on how to solve them, and go back and solve problems - it was a back and forth - for probabilities, I pbbly did this about 4 times - by the end, I was getting them right. I don't think there is a clear mathematical formula to go by (check 3 times on SC, check twice on geometry DS) - I think that with time, your brain gets accustomed to the types of questions the GMAT gives you. You start acting intuitively - especially in Verbal (sometimes, an answer just LOOKS RIGHT).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, as I said, I wish I had the answers, it would have made my job a lot easier too

All the best and good luck to you

You were more helpful than you can ever imagine .. thank you and best regards
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts