Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [108]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink]
Kudos
It worked for me.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mappleby wrote:
It worked for me.

Hey mappleby
It would be awesome if you could elaborate a little about your GPA and your story.
I think it would really help people who are dreading some GPA issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [23]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sure. My first GMAT attempt I broke the magic 700 so I thought I was set, but as you can see from all the red when I applied last year that with a low GPA a 700 GMAT just wasn't enough to make the cut. I also think that my applications probably weren't as polished as they needed to be but the combination of having both a GPA and GMAT well below the median was a big red flag.

So I went back to studying for the GMAT in earnest, bought some better study materials and took the Kaplan Advanced Online class. There really wasn't much in the class I couldn't have learned from the books but for me it added a timing and structure that I found helpful. Also the course has a great quiz bank with tons of customization options to help you focus where you need it. Second time around I scored a 750 and broke the 80/80 percentile split people love to talk about.

My undergrad degree is in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech and I had 3 F's on my transcript. I would think that the admissions committee probably gave me a little more leniency considering all of my F's were in challenging engineering classes and I got 2 A's and a B when I re-took them. I used the optional essay for each school to address the F's on my transcript. I didn't make excuses I just told the truth; I over-extended myself in extra-curricular activities and lost focus on school work. My last year in college had my highest GPAs for any 2 semesters so that also probably played to my favor.

Even with the poor GPA and F's and I got accepted ED to Columbia and invited to interview at Booth. I think I would have been accepted at Booth as well but I withdrew my application after hearing from CBS. So even with a bad GPA it can be done. I'm also a white, American male in case that matters.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Hi Souvik101990, Thank you for this awesome thread. Can you please refer some institute or Body where we can get our GPAs (percentage to Grade point) done . Thanking you ,
Regards,
kumud
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Under "what you can do" I thought I would also add that your recommenders can be part of your story and help address concerns about aptitude or attitude. So recommenders + essays can help alleviate concerns. I did this and thought it was a good strategy as they are obviously more objective and a valued perspective.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kumudkantish wrote:
Hi Souvik101990, Thank you for this awesome thread. Can you please refer some institute or Body where we can get our GPAs (percentage to Grade point) done . Thanking you ,
Regards,
kumud

Hey kumudkantish
It really depends as most schools do not ask you to convert your grade point because they are well aware of the grading systems in different colleges.
However, if a school does ask then it will also provide a conversion guideline (Columbia for example).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
what about the opposite situation? low gmat but a high gpa?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
chamisool wrote:
what about the opposite situation? low gmat but a high gpa?

This is pretty easy and a better situation to be in: re-take the GMAT. You can't change your GPA, but you can improve your GMAT score. Keep in mind you can even take it again after the application deadline because some schools will accept an updated score, and also, if you application is strong but the GMAT is lacking and you end up on the waitlist, providing a higher score is a good way to stand out from the WL pack.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Kudos
I've some questions.
I've a low-ish GPA (3.09) with upward trend (2.83>3.42>3.7>3.83 for last 4 semesters) I've no excuse for my low GPA during Freshman and Sophomore years. That's mostly due to DotA Allstar and too much clubbing. At that time I didn't really care about GPA. and I also didn't do well in some quant classes (Stat-C, Fundamental Math-C, Finance-C+ but Managecial Accounting-A, Fundamental Accounting B+ and Business Quantitative Analysis B+). Do you think that will hurt my chances despite the upward trend?
Do you guys think I should have alternative transcript or just concentrate on the GMAT preparation?

PS. I've graduated from one of the most competitive B-school in Thailand, where only one of my classmate (from about 80 Marketing majors) manage to get more than 3.5 GPA. If that can help.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iVoRy wrote:
I've some questions.
I've a low-ish GPA (3.09) with upward trend (2.83>3.42>3.7>3.83 for last 4 semesters) I've no excuse for my low GPA during Freshman and Sophomore years. That's mostly due to DotA Allstar and too much clubbing. At that time I didn't really care about GPA. and I also didn't do well in some quant classes (Stat-C, Fundamental Math-C, Finance-C+ but Managecial Accounting-A, Fundamental Accounting B+ and Business Quantitative Analysis B+). Do you think that will hurt my chances despite the upward trend?
Do you guys think I should have alternative transcript or just concentrate on the GMAT preparation?

PS. I've graduated from one of the most competitive B-school in Thailand, where only one of my classmate (from about 80 Marketing majors) manage to get more than 3.5 GPA. If that can help.

Yeah so upward trend is a clear winner :)
Also another important aspect is, what was your class percentile in terms of GPA?
I think if you haven't taken the GMAT yet, that is where you should start!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [3]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Kudos