Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: My Personal Statement for MAcc, thoughts? [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
For the record, I know very little about MAcc programs (or even whether this is the right place on this site for this). However, I'll offer a bit of feedback.

"That is an honest answer amidst all of the personal statements describing childhood fascination with numbers or money, and the ensuing inevitability of a career in accounting."

Isn't this implying that your fellow applicants are embellishing or being deceitful? I am not sure you want to start your essay off with such negativity.

Good point, thank you.

Edit-

Great idea with the story. I actually have a pretty dramatic one that I had almost forgotten about! Here's my new, more positive, first paragraph.

To say a lot went through my mind when I had a gun pointed at me is an understatement. I was a victim of an armed robbery a few years ago, and it shifted my life perspective. I realized that I had not been living life, but instead merely following blindly where I thought it was going. I decided, in that moment of both chaos and clarity, to assertively live and to create my own way. Since then, it has taken a lot of questioning and effort to determine what career path I would like to pursue. In fact, I had no idea at the time I wanted to become an accountant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
"As for my educational background, my English degree gives me not only the ability to communicate, necessary in public accounting, but also a unique perspective among those with accounting backgrounds that I can bring to __________ program.

how will you having an english degree bring a unquie perspective a an accounting grad program?

"My path began when I graduated from ________ in 2008 with a degree in English during a severe financial crisis"

whats the point of telling us it was during the severe financial crisis?

"I have had a number of jobs since graduating, and I have learned to embrace the diversity of their experiences"

their? your's? job's?

"I have worked in offices crunching numbers and I have worked directly with people solving problems, both of which are important aspects of accountancy."

how are they important in accounting? at least for public accounting i believe it is more developing audit procedures and testing, the number crunching is nothing you can't do with a basic calculator.

"I had always enjoyed reading BusinessWeek and The Economist, mainly to understand the great recession I was enduring, but to actually learn how companies operate and succeed by examining financial statements took my interest to a new level"

Unless The Economist have begun publishing 10-k's I don't see the connection between reading a magazine and examining and auditing the assertions made my management in the annual report (which public accountants are paid to do)

you haven't stated why you are applying to ____ school. Is it the region, do you want to work in the region after graduation? Is it their reputation among employers? Is it their high job placement rate? Is it the high pass rate on the CPA of there graduates? Is it the firms they attract on campus? Is it there affordability yet challenging curriculum?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
backto1986 wrote:
"As for my educational background, my English degree gives me not only the ability to communicate, necessary in public accounting, but also a unique perspective among those with accounting backgrounds that I can bring to __________ program.

how will you having an english degree bring a unquie perspective a an accounting grad program?

"My path began when I graduated from ________ in 2008 with a degree in English during a severe financial crisis"

whats the point of telling us it was during the severe financial crisis?

"I have had a number of jobs since graduating, and I have learned to embrace the diversity of their experiences"

their? your's? job's?

"I have worked in offices crunching numbers and I have worked directly with people solving problems, both of which are important aspects of accountancy."

how are they important in accounting? at least for public accounting i believe it is more developing audit procedures and testing, the number crunching is nothing you can't do with a basic calculator.

"I had always enjoyed reading BusinessWeek and The Economist, mainly to understand the great recession I was enduring, but to actually learn how companies operate and succeed by examining financial statements took my interest to a new level"

Unless The Economist have begun publishing 10-k's I don't see the connection between reading a magazine and examining and auditing the assertions made my management in the annual report (which public accountants are paid to do)

you haven't stated why you are applying to ____ school. Is it the region, do you want to work in the region after graduation? Is it their reputation among employers? Is it their high job placement rate? Is it the high pass rate on the CPA of there graduates? Is it the firms they attract on campus? Is it there affordability yet challenging curriculum?

Great, though-provoking comments!!! I registered on this forum to say this, lol. Really helpful!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts