Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
jiggedyjared wrote:

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.

I'm 31 and I had the same doubts about ROI. My current salary is only 10k below the McCombs post MBA salary. What convinced me was the long term ROI and the knowledge that I will move towards a career path where I believe I can do my best work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jiggedyjared wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.

Yeah, I'm doing a slight career change which was the only reason I applied. From a dollars and cents perspective, it would have been pretty hard to justify. Anyway, I'll keep crossing my fingers; maybe I'll see you in class next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

Yeah, I'm doing a slight career change which was the only reason I applied. From a dollars and cents perspective, it would have been pretty hard to justify. Anyway, I'll keep crossing my fingers; maybe I'll see you in class next year.

Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
rjdunn03 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
tigerman23 wrote:
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?

I applied on 1/23 and never heard anything back. No interview. No Ding. Nothing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.[/quote]

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.[/quote]

agreed. happy to recommend if u need. or just search the forums. but 780 can get u decent if ur story is good and rest of stats decent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
tigerman23 wrote:

If you mean full time non-consortium R3, then it may very well be a mistake. McCombs applicant system is pretty flawed, but their staff is quite helpful. Might be worth just asking them directly. They fired off a mistaken update to me about a month ago. You should hear back next week for sure, though.

... also, I agree that with a 780, 3.25, international/management experiene, and decent extra-currics, you should set your sights on some additional schools. An admissions consultant might just be the help you need. Heck, I have much lower test scores than you, and if I weren't tied to Texas, I would have applied to NYU/Columbia/Yale. The top tier type (about the top 10) schools present much more solid post-mba options than the 2nd tier schools (about 11-25) in my opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Maybe you're right. I'll start doing some research on consultants, it couldn't hurt to shoot out a couple last apps in round 3. Thanks for the input, I'll keep you guys posted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
tigerman23 wrote:

I got the email and I am on the waitlist...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:

I'm 31 and I had the same doubts about ROI. My current salary is only 10k below the McCombs post MBA salary. What convinced me was the long term ROI and the knowledge that I will move towards a career path where I believe I can do my best work.

I am 33, 1.5 years back during my performance review my supervisor put on a serious look and said I would no where be making 90K (I am a Civil engineer in Chicago) even after a promotion THREE years from now, when I questioned him about promotions and pay raises. I felt no incentive to get out of bed the next day & that is when I decided MBA was the path forward. Now again I would not just work for the $ but the kind of work would matter to me a lot. So the point I was trying to make is age is not everything, so let that not be the biggest factor in your decisions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I did get an email for WL update. I am on WL since my R2 WL notification. I have not been invited for an interview but still on WL so I plan to use the video as a interview substitute. There is confusion about dates mentioned in the email but a phone call to the admissions office should get it answered.

UTDB wrote:
tigerman23 wrote:

I got the email and I am on the waitlist...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Got the below email from UT today. I guess I plan on doing the video interview. I went back and found one video interview report in this thread (https://gmatclub.com/forum/mccombs-ut-austin-2013-calling-all-applicants-139659-360.html?hilit=video#p1176926) -- but does anybody else have details? Wondering if the same 3 questions were asked of others as well.

Quote:
Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program!

We continue to be interested in your candidacy and would like to provide you with some information which we hope will be useful for you.

1. Updates:

a. Please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu with any of the following items which may be relevant to your candidacy:

i. Improved test scores – be sure to include a PDF of the score and request that the official score be sent to you

ii. Material changes in your current employment including promotions, increase in job responsibilities, etc.

b. We do not generally need any additional recommendations so please do not request that any of these be sent to us.

c. Any updates should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1st, 2013.

2. Video Interview Opportunity (Optional)

a. Please note that these are completely optional.

b. If you wish to have the opportunity to present your candidacy in a video interview, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by March 25th, 2013 with your request with the subject of “Video Upload Request” and we will follow up with detailed instructions.

c. Please note that these must be completed by April 1st, 2013.

3. Decision Notification:

a. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you by early May with a decision on your application.

If you no longer wish to remain on our waitlist, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

The Texas MBA Admissions Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Did you already interview? I was WL-ed after applying through the Consortium and interviewing via Skype. So I asked them if I can still do another video interview but haven't received a response yet.

Good luck to everyone, it truly is a grueling process but I am confident it will work out for everyone in the end :) I've tried researching WL stats but it's pretty impossible to figure out what happens from here.

Good luck everyone

brosnan6 wrote:
Got the below email from UT today. I guess I plan on doing the video interview. I went back and found one video interview report in this thread (https://gmatclub.com/forum/mccombs-ut-austin-2013-calling-all-applicants-139659-360.html?hilit=video#p1176926) -- but does anybody else have details? Wondering if the same 3 questions were asked of others as well.

Quote:

We continue to be interested in your candidacy and would like to provide you with some information which we hope will be useful for you.

1. Updates:

a. Please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu with any of the following items which may be relevant to your candidacy:

i. Improved test scores – be sure to include a PDF of the score and request that the official score be sent to you

ii. Material changes in your current employment including promotions, increase in job responsibilities, etc.

b. We do not generally need any additional recommendations so please do not request that any of these be sent to us.

c. Any updates should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1st, 2013.

b. If you wish to have the opportunity to present your candidacy in a video interview, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by March 25th, 2013 with your request with the subject of “Video Upload Request” and we will follow up with detailed instructions.

a. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you by early May with a decision on your application.

If you no longer wish to remain on our waitlist, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu

Best,

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Oh yes, should have mentioned - I was waitlisted in R2 with interview (was asked to interview in the first batch that went out about a week after the R2 deadline)

silvaware wrote:
Did you already interview? I was WL-ed after applying through the Consortium and interviewing via Skype. So I asked them if I can still do another video interview but haven't received a response yet.

Good luck to everyone, it truly is a grueling process but I am confident it will work out for everyone in the end :) I've tried researching WL stats but it's pretty impossible to figure out what happens from here.

Good luck everyone

brosnan6 wrote:

Quote:

1. Updates:

Best,

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts