Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: McDonough ($$$) vs. deferring for a year [#permalink]
I completely agree with CobraKai here. Georgetown seems like a good program, but I think you can do better. And, you can only play the MBA card once, so you don't want to waste it. If I were in your shoes, I'd try again and focus on schools 4-15.

Given your goals, I'm really surprised you didn't apply to Fuqua. I'm interested in consulting, so I can tell you that Fuqua places very well at many of the top firms. I've also heard that brand management is huge there, too. Looking more broadly, I could definitely see you getting into at least one school at the Fuqua/Ross/Darden level and perhaps a school in the top 10 (Kellogg?).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
I completely agree with CobraKai here. Georgetown seems like a good program, but I think you can do better. And, you can only play the MBA card once, so you don't want to waste it. If I were in your shoes, I'd try again and focus on schools 4-15.

Given your goals, I'm really surprised you didn't apply to Fuqua. I'm interested in consulting, so I can tell you that Fuqua places very well at many of the top firms. I've also heard that brand management is huge there, too. Looking more broadly, I could definitely see you getting into at least one school at the Fuqua/Ross/Darden level and perhaps a school in the top 10 (Kellogg?).

Thanks for the input! Fuqua is a program that really interests me on paper but that I wrote off due to location and didn't look much into until after I had applied. Yale is also in that boat. I really wanted a school in a major city, which I still feel I would prefer, but there are also some personal factors which may not be as relevant if I am deferring for a year. I also was recently in North Carolina and enjoyed it much more than I expected.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Thanks for the input! Fuqua is a program that really interests me on paper but that I wrote off due to location and didn't look much into until after I had applied. Yale is also in that boat. I really wanted a school in a major city, which I still feel I would prefer, but there are also some personal factors which may not be as relevant if I am deferring for a year. I also was recently in North Carolina and enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Makes sense. One of the problems with focusing only on schools in major metropolitan areas is that their acceptance rates are usually super low (as you know). Whereas the acceptance rates for Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, CBS, and Kellogg are all 11-20%, the acceptance rates at Duke, Ross, and Darden are 25%-40%. Just something else to keep in mind!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Makes sense. One of the problems with focusing only on schools in major metropolitan areas is that their acceptance rates are usually super low (as you know). Whereas the acceptance rates for Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, CBS, and Kellogg are all 11-20%, the acceptance rates at Duke, Ross, and Darden are 25%-40%. Just something else to keep in mind!

Good to know; I hadn't researched rates at college town schools much given my preference for a major metro. I guess if I make the call to defer I will have to explore a little bit more.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Also keep in mind that the location of your school isn't forever! I want to end up in NYC after my MBA, but I didn't apply to Stern or CBS because I wanted to go to schools with small class sizes and where MBA life was the center of the social life. I looked closely at how well schools placed in NYC when choosing.

Would I want to work in Ithaca, NY? HELL NO. Would I want to go to school there? You bet - I'll have 270+ like minded classmates who want to meet people and have fun in clubs and other activities outside of class. People make the place - that's especially true for B-school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Also keep in mind that the location of your school isn't forever! I want to end up in NYC after my MBA, but I didn't apply to Stern or CBS because I wanted to go to schools with small class sizes and where MBA life was the center of the social life. I looked closely at how well schools placed in NYC when choosing.

Would I want to work in Ithaca, NY? HELL NO. Would I want to go to school there? You bet - I'll have 270+ like minded classmates who want to meet people and have fun in clubs and other activities outside of class. People make the place - that's especially true for B-school.

True, but there are personal/relationship factors involved (as I'm sure for many others that prefer big cities). Although I imagine my dog would prefer a college town haha. Also I prefer the idea of a bigger class/alumni base, but am not tied to it (Georgetown is small as well).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I think you should wait a year as well. I completely agree with kingfalcon that you need to apply to schools like Ross/Darden/Duke instead of so many top 10 programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with what everyone else has said. I think you're definitely on the young side and could benefit from another year of work experience. Your stats are great so if you execute your essays (and story) properly I agree you should definitely be able to get into a school that is higher ranked (though I've heard great things about Georgetown from people who went there). I also think that now that you have been through the application process you will be able to actively do things at work that will help you have good leadership stories. Maybe before you wouldn't have been so inclined to take on a special project, but now that you know they want to hear about ways you've shown leadership at work or have experiences at work that fit in line with your goals, you'll be able to actively make some good stories happen.

Not sure if your work experience now translates to your career goals, but I would definitely make sure that your prior work experience somehow has prepared you for your goals (doesn't have to be obvious, I would just caution away from a complete career change story) and that you are clearly explaining your motivations for your goals. I really think that is the most important aspect of the essays - having clear career goals and explaining how the work you have done to date prepares you for MBA and future and how the MBA is essential to getting to where you want to be.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the input! I appreciate the help. As of now my plan will be to go to admit weekend at McDonough with an open mind and see what it has to offer, but I see some definite benefits to deferring.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts