Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school should i attend?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: UNC ($$$$$) vs Emory ($$$$$) vs Kelley ($$$$) [#permalink]
Between consulting and banking, which are you more interested in? I've talked to students at tons of schools and they have all said it's nearly impossible to recruit for both, so you might as well make that tough decision now. Also, where would you rather live two years?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
goodtogreat wrote:
In terms of your long-term goals it seems like Emory is the better choice. If you are worried about whether Emory is a cultural fit for you, I would reach out to current students/alumni and get their perspective. Maybe the day you visited was a fluke. Have you visited for admit weekend?

I haven't attended the Admit weekend yet. It is probably in April 1st week. My only concern with Emory is the campus atmosphere. Looks very scattered with not much going on in terms of activities. I know I need to explore more. Thanks for your perspective.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UNC voters.. any perspective/reason behind your vote would be of great help?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
From my research: it will be very hard to land up in a specific vertical (healthcare etc.) at an MBB (or even Deloitte for that matter) if you haven't had solid experience in the industry. Generally graduates are hired in a generalist role, basically meaning the project allocation depends a lot more than random factors (what kind of projects the partner brings in, where are you located, whether its a time & effort or a fixed fee project etc.) than on what your interest is. Make sure you research on this a bit and ask the consulting clubs at UNC/Emory. Also, as pointed above, visit the admit events and talk to alumni about your apprehensions (sports and activities scene at Emory etc.)

I've seen people who have gone to MBB after Emory/UNC, but those are few and far between. I'm not trying to digress from the poll, but have you thought on the top 8-16 admits thoroughly? The dollars might not be worth the risk if you can't land up your gig. If you could let us know what are those schools and how much $ do you have there, people might be able to give a better answer.

good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Between consulting and banking, which are you more interested in? I've talked to students at tons of schools and they have all said it's nearly impossible to recruit for both, so you might as well make that tough decision now. Also, where would you rather live two years?

As I said, I am interested more in consulting right now. It might change later after some more research and talking to more people. Which of the two would you prefer for consulting - i guess it would be Emory. For Finance/IM UNC seems to have a very slight edge. As far as spending two years is concerned, I am fine with both Chapel Hill and Atlanta.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
From my research: it will be very hard to land up in a specific vertical (healthcare etc.) at an MBB (or even Deloitte for that matter) if you haven't had solid experience in the industry. Generally graduates are hired in a generalist role, basically meaning the project allocation depends a lot more than random factors (what kind of projects the partner brings in, where are you located, whether its a time & effort or a fixed fee project etc.) than on what your interest is. Make sure you research on this a bit and ask the consulting clubs at UNC/Emory. Also, as pointed above, visit the admit events and talk to alumni about your apprehensions (sports and activities scene at Emory etc.)

I've seen people who have gone to MBB after Emory/UNC, but those are few and far between. I'm not trying to digress from the poll, but have you thought on the top 8-16 admits thoroughly? The dollars might not be worth the risk if you can't land up your gig. If you could let us know what are those schools and how much $ do you have there, people might be able to give a better answer.

good luck

I agree with your first point. However, I would still like to gain more experience in the sector. The school that provides me with that opportunity would be a better choice for me personally.

About the last point - I thought about this a lot and decided against taking such a huge loan. I am not convinced the risk is worth it, even in the long run. Money could be recouped easily provided I get into consulting but I do not have the risk profile to handle the initial burden. MBB fight at those schools would be even more fierce - another reason the huge debt burden doesn't seem that enticing to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
what are your other admits, lets weight them into the mix
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:

It would only become more confusing for me as I pretty much have made up my mind not to think about them. I do not want to go back to where I started.

UNC folks please say a few words as well. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
boothcornellrock wrote:
kasonhills wrote:

It would only become more confusing for me as I pretty much have made up my mind not to think about them. I do not want to go back to where I started.

Ha! I understand where you are coming from when you say you don't want to open a door that you've already closed. In regards to your previous note, I agree it seems Emory is a little stronger for consulting whereas KF is stronger for finance. If you are ambivalent between the locations and cultures (a big if, I know), then I'd vote for Emory given your goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
boothcornellrock wrote:
kasonhills wrote:

Ha! I understand where you are coming from when you say you don't want to open a door that you've already closed. In regards to your previous note, I agree it seems Emory is a little stronger for consulting whereas KF is stronger for finance. If you are ambivalent between the locations and cultures (a big if, I know), then I'd vote for Emory given your goals.

Thanks. My mind seems to go with Emory but heart has a soft corner for UNC. It is going to be a really tough decision. If i take Emory, i might always have a regret about a bigger network and probably more enjoyable two years. If i choose UNC and end up at not so 'prestigious' consulting firm, i would wonder what if....

On a side note, UNC seems to be doing well in the polls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
You've got to go with your heart. Everyone here is so caught up in the rankings. All of the schools are great and will realistically get you to similar places. Neither of their 'prestige' is better than the other. Go with what feels good and which one you get most excited about.

I turned down a full ride at a school because I just couldn't get excited about it. If you're going into the program excited you will be more active in the program and more engaged with the other students and faculty, and truly that is where the opportunities will come from.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
PatBateman wrote:
You've got to go with your heart. Everyone here is so caught up in the rankings. All of the schools are great and will realistically get you to similar places. Neither of their 'prestige' is better than the other. Go with what feels good and which one you get most excited about.

I turned down a full ride at a school because I just couldn't get excited about it. If you're going into the program excited you will be more active in the program and more engaged with the other students and faculty, and truly that is where the opportunities will come from.

Posted from my mobile device

#FACT

This is why I took it a step further during my process and visited all the schools I was interested in and only applied to the schools I was excited about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Given the that (a) you're not 100% sure of your post-MBA goals and (b) you're considering prestigue jobs (i.e., MBB, IB, etc.), I would choose the school that offers you the greatest flexibility. My rank order would be:
- The schools ranked 8-15 that you got into
- Emory
- UNC
- Kelley

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
OA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
boothcornellrock wrote:
About the last point - I thought about this a lot and decided against taking such a huge loan. I am not convinced the risk is worth it, even in the long run. Money could be recouped easily provided I get into consulting but I do not have the risk profile to handle the initial burden. MBB fight at those schools would be even more fierce - another reason the huge debt burden doesn't seem that enticing to me.

I might not be able to help you further, apart from saying obvious things such as you should definitely go tho the admit weekends, visit campuses, talk to consulting clubs and career centers etc.

But I want to mention this:
I'm impressed by your clear thinking. There are no right or wrong arguments here. There are just better reasoned arguments. It seems you have given this a thorough thought. Good luck with your choice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimisticApplicant wrote:
Given the that (a) you're not 100% sure of your post-MBA goals and (b) you're considering prestigue jobs (i.e., MBB, IB, etc.), I would choose the school that offers you the greatest flexibility. My rank order would be:
- Emory
- UNC
- Kelley

OA

That helps but is Emory really above UNC for prestige jobs? If yes, how much would you say is the difference?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
boothcornellrock wrote:
- Emory
- UNC
- Kelley

OA

That helps but is Emory really above UNC for prestige jobs? If yes, how much would you say is the difference?

I think KF and Goizueta are more or less equivalent for "prestige" jobs. Honestly, though, if you're looking for "prestige" jobs, you really may want to reconsider the 8-15 school. It's not that you don't have the ability to get a job at one of those employers, but it's that those employers may not actually come to recruit at KF/G (verify this, of course!).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
boothcornellrock wrote:
- Emory
- UNC
- Kelley

OA

I think KF and Goizueta are more or less equivalent for "prestige" jobs. Honestly, though, if you're looking for "prestige" jobs, you really may want to reconsider the 8-15 school. It's not that you don't have the ability to get a job at one of those employers, but it's that those employers may not actually come to recruit at KF/G (verify this, of course!).

This.

Also, based on your post, it just feels like you're definitely interested in consulting, but would also consider finance jobs. Looking at the employment reports...

Emory - https://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f90 ... f900d1f9/5 - sends 57% of students into these two industries (37% consulting, 20% finance)

Keenan Flagler - https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/progra ... statistics - sends 47% into these two (just 16% consulting, 31% finance)

So Emory sends more grads into the two fields you're considering and way more grads into consulting (your primary interest to date). This article may shed some light on why they have stronger placement stats than K-F: https://poetsandquants.com/2013/02/12/em ... as-needed/

Quite honestly though, you can't go wrong here...they're both tremendous schools.

Best of luck,
OA
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts