Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: TERRIBLE DAY 560 :(( [#permalink]
Kudos
It's not uncommon to take the exam more than once. So think of this as your practice run. You now know what not to do and now you know about the practice center and all of those question marks won't be there next time around. You're going to go into it knowing what to expect.

Before my first exam, I put about two months in (admittedly, not taking the difficulty of this exam as seriously as I should have). I ended up with a 550 - so really close to where you were. I was practicing closer to 600, but for some reason thought that the practice tests were wrong and I'd do better. We all know how that works :) Anyway, I took about five months, studied hard, used my available resources and brought my score up to 660 and I'm still going. So if you know this is what you want - why give up after spending so much time on it? Just make sure it's what you want.

Without knowing your specific study schedule and how much of the Veritas schedule you actually followed (I'd see if you could go back and watch those classes - if that service is offered because I'm sure you missed a lot in three classes) - I can't say whether or not your study plan is effective. But I'm guessing with that score, you've got some improvements to make both in the time management portion and in the overall content portion. These boards are a great resource, though, so you should have no problem improving in both of those areas as long as you dedicate the appropriate amount of time to do so.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

First of all, one bad score is making you re-consider your life plans? I don't expect this from anybody, forget about professional athletes and people who know what it is to perform under pressure.

Thank you so much for your responses!! Checking back here today and reading these replies and reading other people's stories makes me realize that my experience was a lot more common then I expected and I really only have how I treated the day before the exam to blame.

Karishma- YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT! I was licking my wounds from the test but giving up is never the right way to go. I do appreciate the Veritasprep crew replying to this thread.

I am going to take a week off and then schedule the test again. I live in a top 5 populated city so you have to schedule a date a month in advance to get the day I want. Using the Veritasprep materials, what do you believe is the best method?

I am going to try to take a test 2 times a week, but my issue with the test software is that post test it doesn't let you know what areas you need to focus on and what areas you are strong. Yes you can group them on your own, but I feel I don't get an accurate idea of where my weak areas especially for Quant.

I know I have an issue with turning word problems into algebra, any suggestions? Thanks for your responses again, it definitely helps. I will be an active member of this site!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I'll let the Veritas people handle the specific strategy part since you're a student of theirs, but I just wanted to make two suggestions for you-

At the level you're at right now, I'd definitely recommend less tests and more drilling down the core concepts. Become confident in everything that can be tested and then worry about scheduling your test. Unless you're looking to submit an application this app year - you have more than enough time to do this. Use the official guide and your course materials and get REALLY confident in your abilities, tests aren't going to help you unless you take the test and review EVERYTHING - and if that is the case - it'd probably be easier to just go in order of the books rather than in a random manner that the tests will give you. Eventually you're going to want to take a bunch of CATs - but I wouldn't rush to do that. Learning and repeating problems and drilling down those concepts are what will really help you to improve. I never felt like I got much out of repetitive testing and the course I used required a ton of CATs itself, so anything in addition would have just been overkill.

Read some of the articles posted through this website (on the blog, etc.) and you'll see the common opinion is that repetitive testing isn't really the most effective approach.

I would also suggest downloading one of the error trackers and tracking your progress in the official guide. This will show you what areas you're weak in. At that point you can focus more specfically on those points.

We're here for you! If you come across any problems or any strategies you're unclear on - this is the place to ask them! There are so many awesome people here willing to help and it won't take you long to get a response.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
C13GMAT wrote:

Thank you so much for your responses!! Checking back here today and reading these replies and reading other people's stories makes me realize that my experience was a lot more common then I expected and I really only have how I treated the day before the exam to blame.

Karishma- YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT! I was licking my wounds from the test but giving up is never the right way to go. I do appreciate the Veritasprep crew replying to this thread.

I am going to take a week off and then schedule the test again. I live in a top 5 populated city so you have to schedule a date a month in advance to get the day I want. Using the Veritasprep materials, what do you believe is the best method?

I am going to try to take a test 2 times a week, but my issue with the test software is that post test it doesn't let you know what areas you need to focus on and what areas you are strong. Yes you can group them on your own, but I feel I don't get an accurate idea of where my weak areas especially for Quant.

I know I have an issue with turning word problems into algebra, any suggestions? Thanks for your responses again, it definitely helps. I will be an active member of this site!!

Once you are back from your break, send me/Ron a link of your test results. We will advise you accordingly.
GMAT Club Bot