Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The citizen didnt have no hesitation about apprehending the thief [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mba201456 wrote:
Hi all,

I am not a native, would please kindly explain this?

The citizen didn’t have no hesitation about apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.

a) The citizen didn’t have no hesitation about
b) There was no hesitation of the citizen for
c) No hesitation was of the citizen about
d) The citizen didn’t hesitate when
e) None hesitation was shown by the citizen for

The citizen didn’t have no hesitation about apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.

Incorrect. "didn't have no" is incorrect.

Incorrect. 'There was no hesitation of the citizen for apprehending the thief that stole the lady's purse' is saying that the citizen had no hesitation for the act of apprehending the thief - it changes the meaning of the sentence - this sentence isn't saying that the citizen apprehended the thief, it's just saying that he/she had no hesitation for the apprehension.

"No hesitation was of" is incorrect.

This is correct. 'The citizen didn't hesitate when apprehending the thief that stole the lady's purse."

This is incorrect. "No hesitation was shown by the citizen" would be the correct way to start that sentence but the "for" is incorrect as well.

It is my opinion that D is the correct answer, not B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The citizen didnt have no hesitation about apprehending the thief [#permalink]
sir,
pls explain the meaning of the sentence and options with a reason to eliminate
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mba201456 wrote:
Hi all,

Hesitation(noun) for ......ing would be the correct usage.

The original choice uses double negative didn't and no and thereby distorts the intended meaning.

Per the Choice A :- The citizen do have hesitation for apprehending the thief. This logically can not be the intended meaning.... why would a common citizen show hesitation for the apprehension of a criminal. So Choice A out.

B) CORRECT :- This choice clears the above mistake by removing verb didn't and putting linking verb was instead.

C) INCORRECT :- Sentence should start with there followed by linking verb was in the absence of clear subject. Confusing word order.

D) INCORRECT :- Distorts the Intended meaning. as per intended meaning Citizen did not hesitate for apprehending the thief (for particular state of thief), whereas per this choice, citizen did not hesitate when (for particular time). This implies that at some another time they might hesitate.

E) INCORRECT :- Passive structure.

Hope that helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
mba201456 wrote:
Hi all,

First of all I would like to say that please mention the source of this questions. Second whatever the source is, its very bad. It been months since I have seen such a bad written SC.
Between B and D, if I have to pick I would go for D. Reason being is there is no idiom called hesitation of….its either hesitation over or hesitate to….moreover D sounds better.

Now for the people who are arguing about "when" in D. If you were to pick that error then I would say this whole sentence is faulty and should be delete as soon as possible. Now read the whole sentence not just the underline portion. apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse. GMAT strictly uses WHO to refer to people. Whenever you see "that" to refer to people its just plain wrong and no argument about it.

So all the 5 choices are faulty but if you were to pick then Pick D. its active voice and has only 2 errors….usage of "when" and "that" now B has 4 errors…usage of "when", "that" "passive voice" and wrong idiom.

Overall this is very bad sentence and don't practise from this source.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Meaning in original choice and other choices is not matching because of double negation.
What is the source, I believe we must keep intended meaning from original choice as it is, while choosing grammatically correct option.
What is grammatically incorrect in A ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
mba201456 wrote:

PiyushK wrote:
What is grammatically incorrect in A ?

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, PiyushK, choice (A) has no grammatical error, but it has the logical error of a double-negative. Remember, ultimately, GMAT SC is about logic more than grammar.

I agree this is a terrible question. I am not sure that the author of the question is fluent in English. I completely disagree with the OA given. Choice (D) sounds the most natural, although this is far too casual to be correct on the GMAT. In fact, (D) make the error of following a subordinate conjunction ("when") with a gerund instead of a full [noun]+[verb] structure. Choice (B), the purported OA, is an awkward trainwreck disaster. The "there was" structure is woefully indirect, and using the noun form ("hesitation") instead of the verb form ("hesitate") make the whole phrase longer and more flabby. Also, "hesitation ... for" is not idiomatically correct. A truly abysmal question.

BTW, the grammatically correct way to say what the sentence unsuccessfully tried to say is either
The citizen didn’t hesitate when they apprehended the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.
or
The citizen didn’t hesitate in apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.

Here's a blog about choose verb forms over noun forms for the same word:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/
Here's an ebook on GMAT idioms
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks Mike,

I tried to simplify the original choice as following, do you also feel that original choice and other choices yield different meaning ?

no hesitation = confidence

a) The citizen didn’t have confidence about

didn’t have confidence = hesitated

a) The citizen hesitated about apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.

After simplification, above sentence tells that citizen hesitated, but other choices tell citizen did not hesitate, and as I understand we must preserve the meaning of original choice as it is in grammatically correct choice.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
Thanks Mike,

I tried to simplify the original choice as following, do you also feel that original choice and other choices yield different meaning ?

no hesitation = confidence

a) The citizen didn’t have confidence about

didn’t have confidence = hesitated

a) The citizen hesitated about apprehending the thief that stole the old lady’s purse.

After simplification, above sentence tells that citizen hesitated, but other choices tell citizen did not hesitate, and as I understand we must preserve the meaning of original choice as it is in grammatically correct choice.

Dear PiyushK,
Here's the funny thing, that can be a bit hard to appreciate if you are not a native speaker of English: On purely logical grounds, the sentence ....
The citizen didn’t have no hesitation about X.
...means
The citizen had hesitation about X.
In a purely mathematical sense, that is the logical meaning of the sentence. But that's not the intended meaning.

The trouble is, language is not mathematics, and the common mistakes that people make defy all logic. In practice, in especially colloquial American speech, people use double negatives as an intensifier --- it's grammatically and logically incorrect, but this is the common mistake people make.
I don't want no broccoli. (meaning: I have absolutely no desire for any broccoli.)
The mathematical person might misinterpret that person as saying that he wants broccoli, but that is is a reading that, in attaching to the literalism, misses the meaning in context. In context, the mistake many native English speakers make is using the double negative when they mean a single negative. When folks make this mistake, their intended meaning is different from the logical/mathematical meaning. When those two diverge, the GMAT SC wants us to be faithful to the intended meaning, the meaning in context.

GMAT SC is all about meaning, and in a truly good sentence, logic and meaning and grammar all work together and all support the same interpretation. This is a very poor question, so I would not take this as a model, but there are many official questions in which the prompt contains an error that, strictly logically, implies an absurdity, and our job is to figure out the sensible meaning intended and the logically consistent way to say it. On such a question, our job is most certainly not to try to maintain fidelity to the absolutely absurd thing the prompt literally implies, but to find a logically correct way to state the sensible thing the prompt was trying to say. If you get too mathematical with the "don't change the meaning" logic, that will get you in trouble.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Send PM
Oh thanks Mike, I got your point.
I have also read this double negation -colloquial style of conversation- in John Steinbeck's novel OF MICE AND MEN.
Now I can relate intended meaning, so double negation is almost always wrong in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
A – Double negative so incorrect
B – Correct
C – sentence is mixed up, was in particular seems to be in the wrong place. Incorrect
D –‘when’ is the wrong verb form
E – passive voice makes it the second choice, also has unidiomatic phrasing. ‘hesitation was shown for apprehending.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V44
Send PM
OA in The Ultimate GMAT CLUB Grammar Book is D. The recorded OA is B.
I am confused between B and D. Which is the correct answer?

Posted from my mobile device

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts