Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [14]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ivan 91

I can see that you want to justify your choice steadfastly, but honestly, I have not assumed anything as far as I see, but only that I have explained; however if you have found some assumption in me , which I am not aware, can you kindly spell out what that assumption is ? After all, learning is eternal from whatever source it is. Isn't it? .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Ivan 91

I can see that you want to justify your choice steadfastly, but honestly, I have not assumed anything as far as I see, but only that I have explained; however if you have found some assumption in me , which I am not aware, can you kindly spell out what that assumption is ? After all, learning is eternal from whatever source it is. Isn't it? .

I think that E changes the meaning.
The original sentance makes it clear that the dean is no longer a dean. If we take option E, it looks like that he is still the dean.
r
As the dean of the iniversity for 25 years, He shaked hands with more than 250 000 graduates.
How can you infer from this that he is no longer the dean ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If he is currently continuing as a dean, we don’t call him a former dean; additionally, if he is still a continuing dean, we will not use past tense and say he shook hands, but will say, he has been shaking hands; It is as simple as that.. Especially a verb, which is an action word, carries a lot of connotations with it and I can understand that use of tense can be tricky sometimes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
If he is currently continuing as a dean, we don’t call him a former dean; additionally, if he is still a continuing dean, we will not use past tense and say he shook hands, but will say, he has been shaking hands; It is as simple as that.. Especially a verb, which is an action word, carries a lot of connotations with it and I can understand that use of tense can be tricky sometimes

Thank you Ivan and Daagh for a nice explanation . OA is "E" . I went with "A" thinking that "e" changes the meaning by saying- Dean- and not a former dean .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 357
Send PM
Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith [#permalink]
Even after reading the entire thread, i fail to understand why A is incorrect , and e is correct. e doesn't refer to the dean as former and that in my opinion alters the meaning of the original sentence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith [#permalink]
Kudos
ishitadas1994@gmail.com wrote:
Even after reading the entire thread, i fail to understand why A is incorrect , and e is correct. e doesn't refer to the dean as former and that in my opinion alters the meaning of the original sentence.

Hi Ishita

Consider option (A) - it saying that as former dean for 25 years, Smith shook hands of 25000 students. The meaning that is conveyed is that he shook the hands of 25000 students in his role as a former dean.

There are a couple of logical problems with this meaning:

a) A role of "former dean" does not exist - it is simply that he stopped being dean.
b) How would one being a "former dean" facilitate hand shakes with over 25000 students? It is more logical to think that the 25000 hand shakes happened when he was the dean.

Hence, while you are right that there is a meaning shift, the shift is from an illogical meaning to a more logical one. GMAT definitely allows some real world knowledge to be applied to its questions, provided it is in the nature of commonsense and not very specific assumptions (it is not wrong, for example, to assume that dropped objects will fall to the ground, or a rise in prices typically leads to a drop in demand).

Moreover, if we say, "As the dean...", we do not mean to say that he is still the dean; we only mean to say that he shook hands with 25000 students when he was the dean. The use of the past tense "shook" makes it clear that he is no longer the dean, and him being the dean is only relevant to him shaking hands with 25000 students. Therefore, the use of the past tense for the verb ensures that we also convey that he is no longer the dean - there is no need to use "former" along with "dean" to communicate that.

Hope this clarifies.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts