Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 735 [349]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [113]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [53]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [35]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tarek99 wrote:
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.

C, IMO. Clearly A and B are out because of is looking

among C,D and E, D is out. are looking to its is erroneous.

C and E. Well, in E, you have looking at and in C, you have looking to.

What are you looking at? I am looking at this wall painting -- check the intention of the usage of looking at. The usage is clearly not suited for this SC statement; you just look at something as in 'You are looking at somebody improve something'

What are you doing? I am looking to improve my GMAT verbal. You can't look at improving your GMAT verbal!

so it is C
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ConkergMat wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract

(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract

(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract

(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting

(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Here is my analysis of this question:

The question is fairly straightforward. But there is one interesting concept it illustrates.

What does the sentence want to say? That Cleveland is one many communities that are hoping to improve quality of life and attract businesses using their waterfronts.

If we have ‘one of many’ as the subject, ‘one’ works as a singular subject in subject verb agreement but a modifying clause could modify either ‘one’ or ‘many.’

We know that Cleveland is one of many communities that are hoping to improve quality … etc.
Hence, options (A) and (B) are eliminated.

Option (D) uses the singular pronoun ‘its’ to refer to ‘many communities’ hence this option is incorrect too.

Option (E) uses ‘as a way they can improve…’ which is incorrect. We have put in a clause with a subject and a verb ‘they can improve the quality …’ without linking it to the rest of the sentence in an appropriate manner.
We can say ‘as a way to improve’ (preferable on GMAT) or ‘as a way for improving.’
We cannot say ‘as a way they can improve…’ Hence (E) is not correct.

Also, ‘look at’ means direct your gaze while ‘look to someone/something’ means ‘to expect someone/something to provide’
Look at him. (turn your eyes in his direction)
Look to him for guidance. (expect him to provide you guidance)

Hence, here, ‘look to’ will be correct, eliminating options (B) and (E). Though even if we do not know this distinction, we will still get the answer because these options have other errors.

(C) is correct.
Answer (C)
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
prinits wrote:

I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [15]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of
communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and
attract new businesses.

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
A and B are wrong because the subject is the "number of communities" "that are" "is" is the wrong verb.
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
CORRECT
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
"its" doesn't fit with the plural subject "communities"
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
"as a way that can" is unidiomatic, C is more clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Bookmarks
Although the answer is C, what about option E

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
btg9788 wrote:
Although the answer is C, what about option E

Is this incorrect because it is a run-on sentence. Or whether it has an issue with using "as a way"

Experts ,please comment...

Hi btg9788

E has two problems:

(1) Idiom "as a way".
The correct usage are "as a way to do some thing" or "as a way of doing something"
However, E uses "as a way they can ....." that is not idiomatic.

(2) "Look at" vs "Look to"

"Looking at" is a physical action. For example, I'm looking at you.
So, "look at their waterfront as a way" is not correct. You cannot physically look at something as a way to do something.

"Look to" means "expect to get help" or "hope". So, it conveys correct meaning.
For example: He looks to me to help improve his company sales figures. ==> He hopes I can help him improve his company sales.

C is correct. The structure is "looking to X to do Y.....and do Z..."

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [12]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Kudos