Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Ross vs Darden vs Tuck Vs Stern

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Ross($) vs Darden($$$) vs Tuck Vs NYU - For Consuting [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
inception1003 wrote:
Tuck :
pros: Strong brand; Core school for tier 1 consulting firms (MBB, Deloitte); Ranked highly and balanced program
Cons: no scholarship :(; middle of nowhere; Tech recruitment is sparse. Tier 2 consulting recruitment in minimal

If you don't like Tuck's location it's going to be a long two years there. People who end up at Tuck love it in part for it's location and what that brings to the community there.

You're right that Tuck has strong recruiting for MBB but schools can't be tops in recruiting for every single firm. Most schools have their favored firms they recruit to, so not having "strong" recruiting to tier 2 firms isn't a con for Tuck imo.

Have you visited any of these schools? I feel like if you're having reservations about Tuck, it's probably not the place for you -- but visiting helps sort these things out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, Aerien.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to visit any of these schools at the moment. I agree that that it would help greatly.

The middle of nowhere comment for Tuck was mainly from the perspective of off-campus career search. I wouldn't really mind spending 2 years in a beautiful town such as Hanover otherwise

aerien wrote:
inception1003 wrote:
Tuck :
pros: Strong brand; Core school for tier 1 consulting firms (MBB, Deloitte); Ranked highly and balanced program
Cons: no scholarship :(; middle of nowhere; Tech recruitment is sparse. Tier 2 consulting recruitment in minimal

If you don't like Tuck's location it'd going to be a long two years there. People who end up at Tuck love it in part for it's location and what that brings to the community there.

You're right that Tuck has strong recruiting for MBB but schools can't be tops in recruiting for every single form. Most schools have their favored firms they recruit to so not having "strong" recruiting to tier 2 firms isn't a con for Tuck imo.

Have you visited any of these schools? I feel like if you're having reservations about Tuck, it's probably not the place for you -- but visiting helps sort these things out.

Originally posted by inception1003 on 31 Mar 2013, 05:53.
Last edited by inception1003 on 12 Apr 2013, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
For me, it would be between Tuck and Darden. How much money did Darden offer you? Also, I'd have to disagree with the statement that Darden's MBB placement on a per-capita basis is low. Among the top companies where students interned last year were McKinsey (14), Bain (7), and BCG (11), which is impressive by yourself and even more impressive when you realize those three firms hire more students for full-time employment than internships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, kingfalcon.

Darden gave me a full tuition waiver.

It is true that there is not a big difference in terms of per capita MBB recruiting between Ross and Darden.

But when you add Deloitte, Booz, PWC, ATK etc into the mix, Ross seems to be significantly better. I could be wrong.

In fact, the above point is the main reason I am still looking at Ross since this would be my plan b, before i get into plan c which is high tech :)

kingfalcon wrote:
For me, it would be between Tuck and Darden. How much money did Darden offer you? Also, I'd have to disagree with the statement that Darden's MBB placement on a per-capita basis is low. Among the top companies where students interned last year were McKinsey (14), Bain (7), and BCG (11), which is impressive by yourself and even more impressive when you realize those three firms hire more students for full-time employment than internships.
Director
Director
Send PM
inception1003 wrote:
Thanks, kingfalcon.

It is true that there is not a big difference in terms of per capita MBB recruiting between Ross and Darden.

But when you add Deloitte, Booz, PWC, ATK etc into the mix, Ross seems to be significantly better. I could be wrong.

In fact, the above point is the main reason I am still looking at Ross since this would be my plan b, before i get into plan c which is high tech :)

kingfalcon wrote:

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even be considering Ross. Darden and Ross are unquestionably peer schools; with Darden offering so much more money, it makes the decision easy. Honestly, I'd strongly considering taking the Darden offer over Tuck with no money, too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your view, Kingfalcon. I have to admit that I would love nothing more than going to a good school without the burden of a big loan. But, with freedom of choice, my mind is playing games with me :)

Looks like there are not many takers for Ross here ?

kingfalcon wrote:
inception1003 wrote:
Thanks, kingfalcon.

kingfalcon wrote:

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even be considering Ross. Darden and Ross are unquestionably peer schools; with Darden offering so much more money, it makes the decision easy. Honestly, I'd strongly considering taking the Darden offer over Tuck with no money, too.
Director
Director
Send PM
inception1003 wrote:

Not with a full-ride from Darden on the table. I didn't apply to Ross, but I interviewed at Darden and it's a great program. Better weather in Charlottesville than Ann Arbor too!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hard to argue against the statement about the weather :-D

CobraKai wrote:
inception1003 wrote:

Not with a full-ride from Darden on the table. I didn't apply to Ross, but I interviewed at Darden and it's a great program. Better weather in Charlottesville than Ann Arbor too!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai wrote:
inception1003 wrote:

I agree with this. Ross would be out of question for me as well if Darden offered a hefty scholarship. I'd exclude Stern as well.

My decision would have been between Darden and Tuck. And, I'd probably would have gone with Darden in the end for the following reasons:

1.) $$$ vs Debt
2.) Tuck is a small school in the middle of no where. If you do not have a chance to visit, I'm not sure you will be able to completely capture the essence of the campus/town environment, which might trouble you once you are in the school. It might not be worth the risk.
3.) Mentioning the $$$ on resume might help you in recruitment as well at Darden.

Reciprocate the love Darden is showing :)

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
I voted for Darden. With a full-ride and the year on year stellar recruiting from top MC firms, I think it's a no-brainer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Appreciate your inputs... Thanks

jumsumtak wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
inception1003 wrote:

I agree with this. Ross would be out of question for me as well if Darden offered a hefty scholarship. I'd exclude Stern as well.

My decision would have been between Darden and Tuck. And, I'd probably would have gone with Darden in the end for the following reasons:

1.) $$$ vs Debt
2.) Tuck is a small school in the middle of no where. If you do not have a chance to visit, I'm not sure you will be able to completely capture the essence of the campus/town environment, which might trouble you once you are in the school. It might not be worth the risk.
3.) Mentioning the $$$ on resume might help you in recruitment as well at Darden.

Reciprocate the love Darden is showing :)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have updated my post with $$$ from Stern. Does this change anything ?

Originally posted by inception1003 on 01 Apr 2013, 06:39.
Last edited by inception1003 on 12 Apr 2013, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
inception1003 wrote:
I have updated my post with $$$ from Stern. Does this change anything :) ?

Depends - is that a full-ride from Stern? I
Director
Director
Send PM
inception1003 wrote:

Not really, no. Darden/Tuck place a much higher percentage of their grads in consulting and Darden in particular is in a much less expensive location in terms of cost of living. Now, had you said you were dead-set on living in NYC after school, my stance would be different.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, it is a full ride

CobraKai wrote:
inception1003 wrote:

Depends - is that a full-ride from Stern? I

Originally posted by inception1003 on 01 Apr 2013, 06:52.
Last edited by inception1003 on 12 Apr 2013, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, kingfalcon.

I was told during my interview that consulting is now the biggest recruiter at Stern in terms of % of students .
Maybe it is a whole bunch of niche consulting firms based out of NY.
It wouldn't hurt to live in NY after my MBA, though that is not a top aspiration for me.

kingfalcon wrote:
inception1003 wrote:

Not really, no. Darden/Tuck place a much higher percentage of their grads in consulting and Darden in particular is in a much less expensive location in terms of cost of living. Now, had you said you were dead-set on living in NYC after school, my stance would be different.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
inception1003 wrote:

Still Darden for me! They both are peers, but Darden's consulting recruitment is definitely better than NYU's. And as KF pointed out, NYU would turn out to be more expensive than Darden.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts