Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [25]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
gmatprep1982 wrote:
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage. this doesn't explain Marvin situation
B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner. This is tricky but doesn't explain IF marvin drunk entirely punch or not
D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found. Idem
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. Idem

Please help me understand why B is the correct answer?
Why can't E be the correct answer. Doesn't E give us an alternate reason that Strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

In B, the answer seems exaggerated by stating that the person examining the title for evidence has been able to detect such evidence in considerably MORE obscure, HIDDEN places. I would have gone with this answer if it didn't include words like more obscure and hidden places.

Thanks for the help.

E doesn't weal the argument simply because is not related to it. E doesn't explain at all marvin's situation

Hope it is clear

Premise: There was no spillage.

A says that some is usually spilled. Hence we can conclude that Marvin didn't drink any?

Okay I think I got it while posting this. It says it's spilled when imbibed not drunk.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there [#permalink]
gmatprep1982 wrote:
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.
B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.
D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.

Why can't E be the correct answer. Doesn't E give us an alternate reason that Strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

In B, the answer seems exaggerated by stating that the person examining the title for evidence has been able to detect such evidence in considerably MORE obscure, HIDDEN places. I would have gone with this answer if it didn't include words like more obscure and hidden places.

Thanks for the help.

can we not quote the answer with question so that people give a fair try to questions ! It defeats the purpose of the forum .You can post your answers or doubt as a separate thread !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
gmatprep1982 wrote:

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.

Thanks for the help.

The answer is (B) and not (E) as on carefully reading the option (E) it suggests that in parties similar to this the punchbowl itself was thrown out of the window but in this case the punchbowl was left lying on table with all the punch being drank ....so this criteria of throwing away the punchBOWL contradicts with the case given which says only punch disappeared.
Hence (B) is the answer !
Moreover B is more accurate as it satisfies the premise that there was some spillage (If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled ) but it was not necessarily on table but in hidden corners !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Shilpi85 wrote:

The answer is (B) and not (E) as on carefully reading the option (E) it suggests that in parties similar to this the punchbowl itself was thrown out of the window but in this case the punchbowl was left lying on table with all the punch being drank ....so this criteria of throwing away the punchBOWL contradicts with the case given which says only punch disappeared.
Hence (B) is the answer !
Moreover B is more accurate as it satisfies the premise that there was some spillage (If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled ) but it was not necessarily on table but in hidden corners !

But doesnt the argument say that the person had examined the TILE carefully and found no evidence of spill. Then choice B is just injecting some new info which we are unsure of.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
IMO B

Conclusion: Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl
Evidence: If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Hence, to strengthen the argument, we need to substantiate and strengthen force of this evidence to help strengthen the conclusion.

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage. Incorrect- Irrelevant. How does this strengthen?

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places. Hold on as this option does strengthen our argument.

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner. Incorrect- Martin's behavior is irrelevant to our conclusion

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found. Incorrect- This too is irrelevant to confirm our evidence. Even if we have other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed, it doesn't conclusively say anything to strengthen our argument.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. Incorrect- Irrelevant and out of scope too.

Thus, IMO B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.
I was confused between option (b) and (e) but I choose (e).
How is option (e) irrelevant. If we consider this statement to be true then chances are rife that this punchbowl might have been thrown out of the window, thereby strengthening the argument that Marvin didn't drink the punch.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Send PM
To answer your question, we must also look at the conclusion i.e. Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.. Looking at option E which merely says that in parties like the one mentioned, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. This is a possiblity and moreover, the stem says that
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile.

Now can we say that option E provides an evidence to strengthen our conclusion? Surely this would not seem a strong evidence to arrive at our conclusion.

But when we look at option B, it conclusively allows us as an evidence to strengthen our conclusion. As in, we have an expert examining the relevant matter i.e. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places
This option indeed strengthens our evidence and conclusion.

Again I am no expert but the above was my understanding. Hope this helps. :-)

Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.
How is option (e) irrelevant. If we consider this statement to be true then chances are rife that this punchbowl might have been thrown out of the window, thereby strengthening the argument that Marvin didn't drink the punch.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mba1382 wrote:
To answer your question, we must also look at the conclusion i.e. Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.. Looking at option E which merely says that in parties like the one mentioned, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. This is a possiblity and moreover, the stem says that
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile.

Now can we say that option E provides an evidence to strengthen our conclusion? Surely this would not seem a strong evidence to arrive at our conclusion.

But when we look at option B, it conclusively allows us as an evidence to strengthen our conclusion. As in, we have an expert examining the relevant matter i.e. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places
This option indeed strengthens our evidence and conclusion.

Again I am no expert but the above was my understanding. Hope this helps. :-)

Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.

Hi,
I completely agree with what you're trying to convey for option (b), but I am still not able to discern exactly how option (e) is not relevant to the statement and cannot be the answer.
I mean, even if he (or anyone else perhaps) has spilled the entire container out, then also the option explicitly states that the he has not drank it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Sukant2010 wrote:

IMO B
A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.-Incorrect -Most drinks result in spillage doesnt mean that this time also it did hold true

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.-Correct

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.-Incorrect-Out of scope

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.-Incorrect It says the Punchbowl was consumed but doesnt say anything rergarding if it was consumed bu Marvin or not

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.-Incorrect.Doesnt explain Marvins situation

What is the OA? Can someone post it please..

Originally posted by aks456 on 28 Jan 2014, 05:56.
Last edited by aks456 on 28 Jan 2014, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akankshasoneja wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

IMO B
A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.-Incorrect -Most drinks result in spillage doesnt mean that this time also it did hold true

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.-Correct

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.-Incorrect-Out of scope

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.-Incorrect It says the Punchbowl was consumed but doesnt say anything rergarding if it was consumed bu Marvin or not

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.-Incorrect. Its actualy weakening the agrgument..Means Marvin didn't drink it

What is the OA? Can someone post it please..

Hi akankshasoneja,
OA is (b). How can option (e) weaken the argument.
The conclusion of the argument is that marvin didn't drink it. That's what option (e) saying. I was mainly confused between option (b) and (e) and I donot find any logical difference between the two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [1]
Send PM