Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink]
mba20155 wrote:
Question for the R1 Waitlisters.

In the waitlist FAQ, it says the following:

"Before requesting feedback from our office, we advise that you review your application while considering the following list of the most common areas of concern and suggestions for addressing them"

So does this mean we can request feedback from admissions committee on the weaknesses of our application?

Has any of you R1 waitlisters asked for feedback on the application and gotten a response?

Please let me know if any of you have, and how detailed the response was.

Thanks!

Hi- I asked for feedback after R1 and received a short paragraph a few weeks after asking (I sent the query email a few days after the decision). The paragraph of feedback was specific (in my case, it was "'there's nothing overtly wrong with your app' but you didn't make the cut" (paraphrasing). I decided to take a quant class and do some more things, anyway. Still on the WL though will likely withdraw next week. I have a full fellowship at Stern... and I have a feeling that even if I was accepted off the WL (at some mystic future date), there won't be $$ involved.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
burgundy2015 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:

"Before requesting feedback from our office, we advise that you review your application while considering the following list of the most common areas of concern and suggestions for addressing them"

So does this mean we can request feedback from admissions committee on the weaknesses of our application?

Has any of you R1 waitlisters asked for feedback on the application and gotten a response?

Thanks!

Hi- I asked for feedback after R1 and received a short paragraph a few weeks after asking (I sent the query email a few days after the decision). The paragraph of feedback was specific (in my case, it was "'there's nothing overtly wrong with your app' but you didn't make the cut" (paraphrasing). I decided to take a quant class and do some more things, anyway. Still on the WL though will likely withdraw next week. I have a full fellowship at Stern... and I have a feeling that even if I was accepted off the WL (at some mystic future date), there won't be $$ involved.

Hey, thanks for the response. Did they actually point you to specific things that you can address? or was that general "no huge problems with your app" pretty much it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
mba20155 wrote:
burgundy2015 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the response. Did they actually point you to specific things that you can address? or was that general "no huge problems with your app" pretty much it?

Well, like in the WL FAQ, I'm sure they could have (/have said to other people) "take a quant class" "retake the GMAT" etc. Nothing specific for me - just what you said "no huge problems".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
burgundy2015 wrote:
Well, like in the WL FAQ, I'm sure they could have (/have said to other people) "take a quant class" "retake the GMAT" etc. Nothing specific for me - just what you said "no huge problems".

I see. Thanks for the help. Good luck at Stern! Free ride is always good. I might end up there too haha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
aerien wrote:
powerpuff wrote:
I know people have spoken about retaking the exam. I applied with my GRE Score and it is old (2009 July). Could that have caused my being waitlisted?

Only retake your exam if you think you can significantly improve your score and/or your score is expiring and you still want to apply.

That being said, being waitlisted doesn't come down to one specific factor. Adcoms as far as I know don't look at an application and say "darn, if only this person scored 10 points more on the Gmat, we would accept them". While the score (the score itself, not when you took it) could be a factor, there's also your essays, your transcript, your recs, and your interview -- all go into it.

For the record I applied with near expiring scores too and things worked out. I really didn't want to retake so I made sure Id go somewhere this year.

Thanks aerien! Made a list of things I want to give an update about, lets see if things work out! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

Originally posted by chessmaster1 on 31 Mar 2013, 16:00.
Last edited by chessmaster1 on 03 Mar 2014, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
chessmaster1 wrote:
When do r2 WLs usually hear back? Post deposit deadline? With r3 decision? Anyone have any yield predictions? I'm guessing any movement will depend on yield more than anything else...

I'd guess with R3 since R1 WLs heard with R2s, but I have no actual facts to back that up with. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Has anyone sent any updates or letter of intent yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I did both and received positive feedback from an AdCom member on the letter of intent stating, "Thanks so much for your thoughtful note. I will certainly convey your thoughts to the Admissions Committee later this week."

But not sure if its worth following in my footsteps as I was dinged on Thursday (Rd1 Waitlisted candidate).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I already have a list of things to update the adcom on, but I am still going to ask them for official feedback today. Once I get that response, I am going to send them the letter of intent along with all the things I am addressing to strengthen my app. All the waitlisters should submit additional info latest by May 1st since that is the deposit deadline for R2 folks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.58
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
junaidjanjua wrote:
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haxx19 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.

# of apps isn't as relevant as yield for WLers. Even more important than compared to last year is what they were expecting - I assume they expected an increased yield based on the last few years trend. No school wants to OVER enroll so they always err on the side of under enrolling and filling from WL.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
chessmaster1234 wrote:
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.

All very true. I'm just hoping the yield r2 is much lower than expected. But thats me being selfish!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts