Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation (somewhat non-traditional) [#permalink]
Quote:
When you worked for your family business, what did you do? Were you working full time?

Just realized I never responded to this. I worked as a restaurant server/manager and yes, it was mostly full time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
As a fellow competitive grappler, from what I've read/seen it matters how you spin it as an extracurricular. You may have had the opportunity to coach others, mentor beginners, etc. Using your experience to demonstrate leadership can make competitive grappling a valid extracurricular IMO.

PS I'm a huge Demian Maia fan (if that's what your SN is for)

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
Accepted.com wrote:
dmaia11 wrote:
27/Caucasian/Male

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

1 year 2 months as a product analyst for a big financial services firm (think BoA/Citi/American Express). Was promoted to my current position after 11 months (quicker than average). 6 months as an analyst for a small software consulting firm before this.

2) Your GMAT.

720 (50Q, 37V)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

I have an unusual education history. After high school I enrolled at a top 30 LAC but dropped out after my first semester due to personal issues. Ended up moving back home and working for the family business for four years (full time) while I took classes at a local community college (part time). I eventually transferred to the University of Memphis and in 2011 graduated with degrees in economics and math and a 3.7 GPA.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

VP of my school's econ club. Lead a group of college students who mentored/taught high school kids at my church for three years.

Not sure if this is relevant but I'm a competitive grappler (submission wrestling/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and have had a fair amount of success in regional tournaments over the past year.

6) Your target programs.

Michigan, Johnson, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1/R2 2013-2014

7) Your post-MBA goal.

General management

I'm aware that my lack of relevant WE is likely a major weakness. Will waiting another year (and gaining an extra year of WE) significantly improve my chances at admission to these programs?

Thank you!

When you worked for your family business, what did you do? Were you working full time?

You have a chance at all your target schools, especially UT and USC. You might be stretching a little with the others and you certainly don't have any safeties here. You may also want to consider UNC.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot