Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Re: Usage of That - Doubt [#permalink]
Hi - yes that's correct the 'that' could be replaced with 'the courage'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Plumber.

To sum up the uses of "that"

1. Connecting 2 clauses (may be omitted if sentence meaning remains unaltered)
2. Replace subject (used as relative pronoun)
3. Object of verb (The study suggested that the world is flat - can you please explain the use of "that" as object of verb)
4. Object of clause

Can you please advise on any other uses of "that" also, please advise if my understanding is correct (as above)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Hi, one forum post on 'that' would take too long to be comprehensive.

For really general grammar questions like this I recommend using a standard Internet search.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
sdas wrote:
Thanks Plumber.

To sum up the uses of "that"

1. Connecting 2 clauses (may be omitted if sentence meaning remains unaltered)
2. Replace subject (used as relative pronoun)
3. Object of verb (The study suggested that the world is flat - can you please explain the use of "that" as object of verb)
4. Object of clause

Can you please advise on any other uses of "that" also, please advise if my understanding is correct (as above)

Hi sdas,

Here is my take on your questions. The below is the complete usage of "THAT" except one, however I haven't seen that usage in GMAT. I would advise you to stick on with below constructions only.

1- That as a Relative Pronoun - In this case, that will modify some noun, and that noun may work as either subject or object.

e.g 1 - This is the book that I love - > Here, that is working as Object of Clause. Ask, What do I love - > I love that book, Since book is the object, hence that is working as Object. In this, construction, you can remove "THAT" without any double thoughts.

e.g 2 - Car that is red in Color is mine. Now, here- that is working as Subject of Clause, as you can see there is no subject other than "that", which is associated with aux verb "IS". You can't Omit That, since it will result into Run on Sentence. Moreover, here that is working as Relative Pronoun only

I'm assuming that you know how to identify clauses, because the knowledge of identifying clauses helps in dissecting the "THAT" funda. If not, let me know.
2- Object of Verb- Here, that is used to connect two clauses.
Scientists believe that the universe started with a big bang.

Clause 1- Scientists believe
Connector ->" That "
Clause 2 - The universe started
In above sentence, you may remove THAT, but in GMAT land, I haven't seen such question in which "that" is removed from this construction.

Rather, believe that, propose that, contend that, these all are recommended usages

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi himanshu, I am able to identify clauses. But where I am getting stuck is identifying "that" as object/subject of clause....

help much appreciated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sdas wrote:
Hi himanshu, I am able to identify clauses. But where I am getting stuck is identifying "that" as object/subject of clause....

help much appreciated

Object of Clause- What does it mean? As name suggests, it means that "THAT" must be working as OBJECT of some clause. Normally, we have structure of sentence such as - Subject + Verb + Object. ---(A)
So, when "That" would be working as Object of clause, it will receive some type of action just as every object does.

Now,see the below sentence-

This is the book that I love - > Consider the part - That I love.. Now, that is referring to THE BOOK here, right.. because it is working as Relative Pronoun. so, the sentence becomes, Book I love ; and this is inverted construction. So, how will I say in normal language. I love the book.

Since, The BOOK = THAT(relative pronoun) - I am bringing some maths here---You may write - I love THAT ---(B)
Compare B with A -
Subject - I
Verb - Love
Object - THAT

Hence, THAT is working as Object

e.g 2 - Car that is red in Color is mine. Now, here- that is working as Subject of Clause, you may use the above funda for getting whether That is working as subject or not.
Break down into clause - Car is ; and That is; Here, THAT referring to Car
Try to find the subject of verb "IS" i.e WHAT is red in Color. answer -> CAR. Hence, The car is red in color

SO, in nutshell- THAT as object of Clause means- The noun to which that will be referring will work as Object, and in case of subject of CLause, it will be referring to subject.

If you are unable to get whether THAT is working as object or subject and you need to see if removing "THAT" will be correct or not, then the only golden rule is - if there are 2 clauses and each has its subject of its own, then removing that will not introduce error.

Let me know if something is unclear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks mate. Very helpful.
One last doubt, "that" also confuses in essential modifier, the example of car, is "that" not acting as modifier?If yes, then how can it both be modifier and refer to subject too?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Send PM
sdas wrote:
Thanks mate. Very helpful.
One last doubt, "that" also confuses in essential modifier, the example of car, is "that" not acting as modifier?If yes, then how can it both be modifier and refer to subject too?

Hi sdas,

The answer lies in your question itself. "That" alone is referring to noun Car, but on the whole its a modifier. "That is red in color".

Whenever you are in doubt, go back to basics.

What is a Modifier - It gives some more/essential/non essential description about something. Now, the whole clause that is red in color is giving description about Car, but to see what "that" alone is referring to, you need to understand whether it is working as subject or object or clause.(Here, comes the understanding of finding object/subject) Also, Why we need to understand what that is referring to in order to make sure that subject verb must make sense and equivalent in number. such as - the verb in clause "that is red in color" is "IS"->this verb must make sense with "CAR", since that is referring to Car.

In the end, the reference of "THAT" is just telling you that i am going to modify this subject/ object, but its the whole clause that modifies the car.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Many thanks Himanshu. I am clear on it now.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts