Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Med student who wants an MBA [#permalink]
Thank you very much for the excellent advice from both of you!

1. I currently work at a small residential drug addiction treatment center (~50 employees). We employ PhDs and PsyDs and other therapists to treat heroin addicts, alcoholics, etc. in house. I am the house manager - besides running day to day operations, I've reorganized workflows and started the process of digitizing much of our operations in order to enhance efficiency and effectiveness. It's worked well so far (my initiatives have stuck and the company is using them now), but I've only been here 1 year and I will be leaving soon.

2. Yes, as part of my program we will be able to choose to work in an academic or industry setting on medical technologies. Luckily, there is definitely time built in for this purpose, so I will definitely explore my options during medical school.

3. Whew. The GPA is honestly my biggest insecurity. It was dragged down by basic science classes, which I made up for with the MCAT grade. I have good grades in advanced biology/physiology courses. Unfortunately all I have in terms of quant courses are 2 calculus courses, one of which I took P/NP. This I recognize as a problem, as I will be incredibly rusty in calculus when I'm out of medical school. I am confident with most of my mathematical ability (MCAT includes a bit of algebra, trig, and med school includes some probability and stats) but calculus was never really my strong point to begin with.

4. I will definitely explore activities for the underserved. I will be in a large urban center with a very large underserved population, so I may have the opportunity to create services where there are none.

5. I agree, I will need to clarify this as I progress through school. Right now it looks like I will be taking the angle of improving healthcare delivery through the adoption and deployment of new enabling technologies.

Thank you so much for your help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
bkn89 wrote:
Thank you very much for the excellent advice from both of you!

1. I currently work at a small residential drug addiction treatment center (~50 employees). We employ PhDs and PsyDs and other therapists to treat heroin addicts, alcoholics, etc. in house. I am the house manager - besides running day to day operations, I've reorganized workflows and started the process of digitizing much of our operations in order to enhance efficiency and effectiveness. It's worked well so far (my initiatives have stuck and the company is using them now), but I've only been here 1 year and I will be leaving soon.

2. Yes, as part of my program we will be able to choose to work in an academic or industry setting on medical technologies. Luckily, there is definitely time built in for this purpose, so I will definitely explore my options during medical school.

3. Whew. The GPA is honestly my biggest insecurity. It was dragged down by basic science classes, which I made up for with the MCAT grade. I have good grades in advanced biology/physiology courses. Unfortunately all I have in terms of quant courses are 2 calculus courses, one of which I took P/NP. This I recognize as a problem, as I will be incredibly rusty in calculus when I'm out of medical school. I am confident with most of my mathematical ability (MCAT includes a bit of algebra, trig, and med school includes some probability and stats) but calculus was never really my strong point to begin with.

4. I will definitely explore activities for the underserved. I will be in a large urban center with a very large underserved population, so I may have the opportunity to create services where there are none.

5. I agree, I will need to clarify this as I progress through school. Right now it looks like I will be taking the angle of improving healthcare delivery through the adoption and deployment of new enabling technologies.

Thank you so much for your help!

You mentioned one of the calc courses was taken pass/fail, what did you get in the other one? Also - did you take any stats courses?

Depending on your answers above, taking calc/stats at a local university could be beneficial if you have enough time to ensure As.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jko wrote:

You mentioned one of the calc courses was taken pass/fail, what did you get in the other one? Also - did you take any stats courses?

Depending on your answers above, taking calc/stats at a local university could be beneficial if you have enough time to ensure As.

I got a B+ in my other calc course. I didn't take stats - you're right, it's a good idea to get that under my belt. I'll probably look into it sometime after med school just before I apply for b-school.
GMAT Club Bot