Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink]
Kudos
Can you please explain the use of THAT in this sentence. I am confused.

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
a)persisting
b)persists
c)persisted
d)they persisted
e)are persisting

The OA is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
maaadhu wrote:

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
a)persisting
b)persists
c)persisted
d)they persisted
e)are persisting

The OA is A.

IMO A is the correct answer.
Here is my analysis: Breaking the sentence to understand the modifiers:
Astronomers have theorized X
X= that {that1} the Big Bang governs Y
Y= the behavior of interstellar dust, particles (modifying dust = Noun + Noun modifier) that {that2} comprise P and Q
P= the atoms
Q= molecules Modifier1 and Modifier2
Modifier1 = created in the progenitive explosion
Modifier2 = persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
Option Analysis:
A) Modifier1 and Modifier2 correctly modify molecules and are parallel. hence correct
B) C) D) and E) try to introduce unwanted verb hence incorrect.
Now let’s observe the role of ‘that’s
That1- introduces dependent Noun clause. And that1 acts as the connector.
That2- introduces an adjective clause. And, this adj clause modifies ‘particles’. ‘That2’ is the pronoun subject of this adj clause.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Kudos
SENTENCE STRUCTURE
Now we will simplify the sentence structure. We see that the subject of first clause is “rock samples”. The portion “taken from the remains of an asteroid” is a verb-ed modifier. “taken” cannot be a verb since it is not preceded by is/are/was/were. As we continue reading, we come across the word “that”, which signals presence of a clause. – that eradicated the dinosaurs. Then we continue reading and we find what appear to be the two verbs of the subject “rock samples” in the beginning of the sentence.

• Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid
• that eradicated the dinosaurs
• has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

ERROR ANALYSIS
Now that we have the simplified sentence structure, we can perform the error analysis. Notice how you can now focus on each clause one by one and figure out the grammatical correctness and errors. The SV pairs have been color coded. As you can see “that” in this sentence refers to the preceding noun – asteroid. It has its verb “eradicated”. We also clearly see the verbs for the plural subject – rock samples. These verbs are singular and hence there is SV number error here. So the correct choice should have plural verbs. This is the first and the primary error. The second error is the idiomatic usage of the phrase – dated to be. The correct idiom is ‘dated at’.

As per this analysis and if I've understood the article properly in this particular OG example. In this example "that" is playing the role of a subject and its not a connector. Correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
maaadhu wrote:

a)persisting
b)persists
c)persisted
d)they persisted
e)are persisting

The OA is A.

Hi Sharaddha,

Can u explain this question.
Cl 1:Astronomers have theorized. . particles
Cl 2: that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust ( That is the connecting word)
Cl 3: that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and ("That" is the sub)
Cl 4: persisting in even the emptiest regions of space - There is no subject in this clause

so i thot OA in D. But how come OA is A.

Please explain.

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi rrsnathan,

a )persisting
b) persists
c) persisted
d) they persisted
e) are persisting

MEANING ANALYSIS:

Let's begin with understanding the meaning of the sentence. The sentence says that according astronomers, Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust. Then it explains the "interstellar dust". These are particles that are made up of atoms and molecules. Further, the sentence presents a few characteristics of these "atoms and molecules". These "atoms and molecules" are created in the progenitive explosion, and they persist in even the emptiest regions of space.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

Let's break the sentence in its clauses.

Cl. 1: Astronomers have theorized
Cl. 2: that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles
Cl. 3: that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.

A thing to notice in this sentence is that "created" and "persisting" both are modifiers that present information about the "atoms and molecules". Also note that "persisting" just by itelf CANNOT be a verb because there has to be a helping verb is/am/was/were etc present before the -ing word to make a verb.

Also notice that "created" and "persisting" both are noun modifiers that modify the same entity. they preform the same function of modifying a common noun entity. Hence, they are perfectly parallel. So there are NO ERRORS in this sentence. Let's move on to the answer choice now.

PoE:

a) persisting: Correct.

b) persists: Incorrect. "persist" is not parallel to "created" anymore because it is a verb. It is now parallel to another verb "comprise". But singular verb "persist" doe snot agree in number with plural "atoms and molecules".

c) persisted: Incorrect. Same parallelism error as in Choice B. "persisted" in not even in the same verb tense as "comprise".

d) they persisted: Incorrect. This Independent Clause is NOT PROPERLY connected to the rest of the sentence. It is neither preceded by any Comma + FANBOYS nor by a semicolon, a colon, or a dash.

e) are persisting: Incorrect. Same errors as in Choice C.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
bagdbmba wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shradhha,
For the sentence in your article "Mary found certain evidence that even the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) could not find." 'that' is a connector for sure.

But,had the sentence been "Mary found certain evidence that even could not be found by the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI)." then I think 'that' is modifying the noun 'evidence' through the purple clause and is the subject of the purple clause as per "Usage 1" mentioned in this article.

Please share your feedback on this.

Hi Shradhha,
I'm awaiting you feedback on the above...! :)

Much appreciate your response.

Mary found certain evidence that even could not be found by the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI).

Here, that is the subject of the clause.
In 1st sentence, if we say that 'that' is used as subject of the clause, then if we replace the subject of the clause with 'that' then it becomes - "that (the evidence) even the CSI could not find" -
The evidence even the CSI could not find - This is awkward. So here that is a clause connecter.

But if subject is replaced by 'that' in 2nd sentence, it is like "that (the evidence) could not be found by CSI" - The evidence could not be found by CSI - CORRECT. So here that is subject of the clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi all,

How Can I improve my SC? I have both studied verbal foundation and sc by manhattan. However, results are not satisfactory when it comes to solve SC questions...What else should I do to eradicate this problem?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Does this work for the word "which", too?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Great article to brush up a funda that is often overlooked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please guide me to divide this sentence into Phrase, Independent Clause and Dependent Cause:

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until

completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest

translation in any language.

According to my view :

In 1713- is a Phrase
Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad- Independent Clause
a work that, taking him seven years until completion- I have doubt for this sentence
and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language- Independent Clause
connected by FANBOYS-And

Please correct me wherever I am wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
PDF file of the concept pls.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts