Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [29]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [5]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,
"having a compliance" seems to indicate that they still have a compliance with MPAA standards, however this additional information should have been presented in the same past tense, in which the sentence is written.

B.Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,
Looks correct.

C.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards
Meaning change : Even if we ignore comma, this seems to indicate that a few of the "all the films which complied with MPAA standards" however the intended meaning is "all the films in which a few were complied with MPAA standards"

D.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,
Meaning Change

E.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,
Meaning change
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Although C is not grammatically incorrect, option B is preferable because the modifier "which complied with MPAA standards" follows the modifier touch-rule. In absence of B, C would be correct.
(C can be grammatically justified by an exception rule to modifier touch rule, according to which a mission-critical modifier may fall in between a modifier and the noun it refers to. The less important modifier then modifies the noun and the mission-critical modifier together as in option C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Kudos
Could you please explain why option B is correct and not c?

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.

First try to understand the following rules:

Rule A - Modifier touch rule: A noun modifier should ideally touch the noun it modifies.

Rule B.1 - Exception 1 to modifier touch rule: ( The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explaining the first exception of the touch rule):
In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

Now consider option B and C. Option B is alright as per rule A.
Option C is alright as per rule B.1.

If you still have doubts, please post again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
VKat wrote:

First try to understand the following rules:

Rule A - Modifier touch rule: A noun modifier should ideally touch the noun it modifies.

Rule B.1 - Exception 1 to modifier touch rule: ( The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explaining the first exception of the touch rule):
In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

Now consider option B and C. Option B is alright as per rule A.
Option C is alright as per rule B.1.

If you still have doubts, please post again.

Hi Sayantan,

Though I chose the correct ans, I still have some doubts. I eliminated option E, because I think, this option lacks one comma in the end and this made this option inappropriate. But I am not sure why option A is incorrect. Can you please explain?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM