Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [50]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1587 [16]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2292 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [4]
Schools:Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of [#permalink]
Kudos
53. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - UNIDIOMATIC
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - Misplaced Modifier
(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. - Misplaced Modifier
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. - Misplaced Modifier
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - OK

IMO - These are the errors
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
E is correct. Here my 2 cents.

(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
Wrong. Change meaning.

(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-20-2014
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
LucyDang wrote:
According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

I chose E. However, I can't figure out whether the modifier "which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year" refers to "consumption" or "the U.S.". Normally, noun modifier can modify slightly far away noun as in this link " noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html " if using that modifier will not create ambiguous. In this sentence, "19 pounds a year" cannot be used to describe "the U.S"; thus, I think that this modifier refersto "consumption". However, as I read, many folks mention that using this modifier can modify "the U.S", leaving me a huge confusion.

Experts, please help to explain this issue to me! Many thanks and kudos for you!

Hey Maybe i can help here.
IMO E
"which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year"refers to "consumption"..Lets see meaning of each choice

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - In this option, "which" incorrectly modifies United states.United states cannot approach 19 pounds/yr. It has to be some quantity which must reach the value of 19p/yr.[/color]

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Incorrectly worded sentence..Here the " National Pasta Association " seems to modify "approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States"

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Meaning changes here "National Pasta association predicts" by the" twenty-first century" is not the intended meaning.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Same error as above

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Perfectly worded
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. --> WHICH is referring to US. Hence, incorrect
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. --> Illogically modifying NPA.
(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. --> Same as A.
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. --> They will predict by 21st century. LOL.
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.--> CORRECT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
WinIT wrote:
According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - Wrong: Meaning. Consumption can't "achieve".

(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - Wrong: Misplaced Modifier

(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. - Wrong: Misplaced Modifier

(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. - Wrong: Misplaced Modifier. Meaning issue because of "having".

(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - Correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Here I want to understand problem with A.
Although I did it wrong, I don't see modifier problem with "which". Here, "Which" is clearly modifying the per-capita consumption of pasta, not US because meaning is clear logically. Sometime which follows exception of touch rule.

It might be wrong because of achieve because per-capita can't not achieve something. It can reach to a level.
Therefore, I agree with E.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Eliminate Option Aper-capita consumption of pasta ... will achieve 30 pounds is illogical and unidiomatic. For secondary purposes, we can eliminate because ‘which’ modifies United States

Eliminate Option B
– incorrect placement of modifier; therefore altered intent – says that NPA is already approaching

Eliminate Option C
– altered intent – secondary reason can be that ‘which’ is modifying incorrectly.

Eliminate Option D
– Altered intent – says by 21st century NPA will predict

Option E is the best option!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GRE 1: Q166 V161
Send PM
Hi Crack Verbal Team,

Just a doubt, don't you guys think that the "WHICH" in the sentence can modify the per-capita consumption as "in the United States" is a prepositional modifier, so "which" can jump over it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts