Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern ($$$$) vs Tuck ($) [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
What are your goals? What's important to you in a school? Where would you like to live post-MBA in the near-term and long-term? Would you rather live in a rural or urban setting?

I want to go in management consulting and be in New York in long term as well as near-term. At the same time, being a part of a prestigious university and the entire experience of a college town also appeals me.. But the factor is I have got full scholarship from Stern for first year! I think that might weigh more. Your takes?
Director
Director
Send PM
How set are you on consulting? From my research, it appears easier to break into MBB from Tuck than Stern. Then again, Stern doesn't release very detailed employment reports, so it's very hard to tell.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
How set are you on consulting? From my research, it appears easier to break into MBB from Tuck than Stern. Then again, Stern doesn't release very detailed employment reports, so it's very hard to tell.

I am currently in I.T consulting and looking for good opportunities in management consulting post MBA. I believe both have good presence in consulting field. But even I concur that Tuck ranks out better. But is that substantial w.r.t the monetary advantage that I would get at Stern?
Director
Director
Send PM
saya1905 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

I am currently in I.T consulting and looking for good opportunities in management consulting post MBA. I believe both have good presence in consulting field. But even I concur that Tuck ranks out better. But is that substantial w.r.t the monetary advantage that I would get at Stern?

I don't think anybody can tell you that. I'd suggest reaching out to the consulting clubs at each school. Perhaps they will share with you (if they know) what percentage of MBB applicants got first-round interviews. After all, once you're in the interview, no one will care where you went to school.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
In the case in which top MC recruits at both schools, the ability of landing a job at the top MC is on the candidate. I would take NYU's money and not look back.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think MBB at Tuck recruits mainly for Boston office. With that said, its quite possible to get a NYC office offer.

If I was in your situation, I would pick the $$$$.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but I think MBB at Tuck recruits mainly for Boston office. With that said, its quite possible to get a NYC office offer.

If I was in your situation, I would pick the $$$$.

Thanks for this insight. I would definitely want to see my future in NYC.
Tuck is very strong in management consulting. NYU is good as well but not as good as Tuck. I heard that Stern is not a core school for Bain (But many students at Stern can still get offers).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Kudos
Go to Stern. If you see yourself in NYC in the short- as well as long-term, then it's a no-brainer with the $$$$. Tuck is a great school as well, but I do believe that being in NYC would be of an advantage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but I think MBB at Tuck recruits mainly for Boston office.

I disagree with this.

hailmary620 wrote:
With that said, its quite possible to get a NYC office offer.

I agree with this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also think Tuck's college town experience would be unique even though I would miss the hustle bustle of New York.
I have contacted some students at both these colleges and would get some more data points about careers in management consulting in New York post MBA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:

There is much more to the world of consulting than MBB. Most people (regardless of school) who want to get into consulting do not go to MBB (especially for their internship). I understand that those are the top 3 firms, but sometimes I get the impression that people think they are the only 3 firms and that it's a given that if they recruit for consulting that's where they will end up. It's an unrealistic expectation that gets perpetuated by conversations like these.

OP, look at the full range of consulting companies recruiting at these schools (both on campus and off campus). Talk to students who recruited for consulting internships at both schools. That will give you a better idea of how likely it would be to make the career switch from either school. Also understand going in that there are many more positions available for full-time consulting jobs than for summer internships. Best of luck with your decision.
Director
Director
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

There is much more to the world of consulting than MBB. Most people (regardless of school) who want to get into consulting do not go to MBB (especially for their internship). I understand that those are the top 3 firms, but sometimes I get the impression that people think they are the only 3 firms and that it's a given that if they recruit for consulting that's where they will end up. It's an unrealistic expectation that gets perpetuated by conversations like these.

OP, look at the full range of consulting companies recruiting at these schools (both on campus and off campus). Talk to students who recruited for consulting internships at both schools. That will give you a better idea of how likely it would be to make the career switch from either school. Also understand going in that there are many more positions available for full-time consulting jobs than for summer internships. Best of luck with your decision.

I completely agree. The only reason I mention MBB specifically is that most aspiring consultants seem to want jobs with those firms.

Again, the real difference at either of these schools in terms of your outcome is how likely you are to get that first interview in consulting. So, to cheeterah's point, definitely reach out to people at both schools who have gone through the process to see how they fared. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
saya1905 wrote:
I got invites from both of them and need to make a decision soon. Any thoughts ? If I choose NYU, my loan for cost of education and living would be practically nil. Also, I have the advantage of location as I stay in New York city.

Any advice appreciated..please

Saya,

I am in the exact same predicament as you (live in NYC, got scholarship $$, accepted to Tuck), except I am planning to lever a stint in management consulting into a middle-market private equity role long-term. My fiancee works as a recruiter at one of the MBB, and I can assure you that Tuck > Stern when it comes to top-tier management consulting and frankly I don't think its very close. Stern is definitely not a tier-1 school when it comes to MBB recruiting, but people do get placed there. Your probability getting placed is most likely higher at Tuck, although you do have to factor in mix (i.e. there are most likely more people at Tuck aiming for MC than at Stern). If the goal is purely to break into MBB, than I personally think Tuck is the choice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAbound12 wrote:
saya1905 wrote:
I got invites from both of them and need to make a decision soon. Any thoughts ? If I choose NYU, my loan for cost of education and living would be practically nil. Also, I have the advantage of location as I stay in New York city.

Any advice appreciated..please

Saya,

I am in the exact same predicament as you (live in NYC, got scholarship $$, accepted to Tuck), except I am planning to lever a stint in management consulting into a middle-market private equity role long-term. My fiancee works as a recruiter at one of the MBB, and I can assure you that Tuck > Stern when it comes to top-tier management consulting and frankly I don't think its very close. Stern is definitely not a tier-1 school when it comes to MBB recruiting, but people do get placed there. Your probability getting placed is most likely higher at Tuck, although you do have to factor in mix (i.e. there are most likely more people at Tuck aiming for MC than at Stern). If the goal is purely to break into MBB, than I personally think Tuck is the choice.

I have also kind of made my choice now to go for Tuck. Just waiting on how much financial aid I receive from Tuck! since I am an international student, the finance also matters especially when no private bank in this country wants to loan out w/o a US cosigner...;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
What did you finally decide? Stern or Tuck?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
cheetarah1980 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

True that mb/b/b aren't the only firms, but its certainly a good indicator of a schools consulting strength. If a school places well with m/b/b then they will likely place well with any consulting firm. It's a good relative measure for those interested in consulting and deciding between top tier schools.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts