Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Practice results and trends [#permalink]
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Yikes! Yeah I'd do as raxsin12 suggested and take a week off or something. You're obviously capable of scoring well on this exam, maybe you're overthinking the questions or getting confused with the concepts? Your score shouldn't be dropping hundreds of points as you practice! Look through the questions you got wrong on the most recent tests and see where you may have gone wrong. Is it possible these 5 tests weren't all from the same source? It wouldn't really explain such a drop but it might be something to consider.

Best of luck!
-Ron

I've just returned from a holiday, and each attempt has been with the GMATPrep software. raxsin12 made a good guess because I have felt the pressure of this year's application deadlines, but I've missed those deadlines now.

Sticking to strict exam conditions: to help revitalise my the mind between sections, do I have access to my personal belongings during the 10 minute breaks?
Send PM
Expert Reply
stormbind wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Yikes! Yeah I'd do as raxsin12 suggested and take a week off or something. You're obviously capable of scoring well on this exam, maybe you're overthinking the questions or getting confused with the concepts? Your score shouldn't be dropping hundreds of points as you practice! Look through the questions you got wrong on the most recent tests and see where you may have gone wrong. Is it possible these 5 tests weren't all from the same source? It wouldn't really explain such a drop but it might be something to consider.

Best of luck!
-Ron

I've just returned from a holiday, and each attempt has been with the GMATPrep software. raxsin12 made a good guess because I have felt the pressure of this year's application deadlines, but I've missed those deadlines now.

Sticking to strict exam conditions: to help revitalise my the mind between sections, do I have access to my personal belongings during the 10 minute breaks?

Hi stormbind, for all intents and purposes, you don't have access to your personal belongings during the break. I've heard of students getting their scores cancelled for checking their e-mail. Now, if you need an inhaler or something medical, it's not the same, but if you want to "brush up" on some material during the exam, forget about it.

Do you have a specific situation in mind?

-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
stormbind wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

Best of luck!
-Ron

Hi stormbind, for all intents and purposes, you don't have access to your personal belongings during the break. I've heard of students getting their scores cancelled for checking their e-mail. Now, if you need an inhaler or something medical, it's not the same, but if you want to "brush up" on some material during the exam, forget about it.

Do you have a specific situation in mind?

-Ron

I read that a human brain operates optimally for about 30 minutes with one medium (i.e. computer screen), after which concentration fades. The recommendation was to change the medium during breaks.

Some examples that came to mind: 10 minutes of music, a strong-tasting snack, or some press-ups. Each of these ideas would exercise different neural pathways to those used during the exam; and most ideas require access to personal belongings.
Send PM
Expert Reply
I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately I don't make the rules. If you can convince the proctor that whatever you're planning at the break won't constitute cheating, then you're good to go. My best advice: Go outside for 5 minutes and breathe in the fresh air. If you want, maybe do a set of push ups or two! Whatever works for you!

I agree that the human brain gets fatigued during the GMAT (like any other long test). The trick is to find a way to combat it without breaking the established rules. It's like telling your boss that you'd rather be at the gym for an hour than at your desk, because it's good for your mind and body. He or she may agree with you, but you're still probably not going to get paid to go to the gym during work hours :)

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
hey...I get paid to use gym during work hours...It is a different story that I work at google and I work 18-19 hours... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's similar to most large companies - they typically pay employees to spend time doing yoga or anything else that can help to keep their mind fresh.

My employer has more than 120,000 employees - according to LinkedIn (I have not counted), and my employer does not have a gym! We get free chocolate and free soda instead :shock:

Anyway.. my GMAT is going horribly wrong! The trend has continued along the same course stated above. I started out scoring 80% in quantitative, that sagged to an abysmal 50%, and is now a horrendous 25%!! I've stopped using GMATPrep because I exhausted the questions database.

Ironically, my work assigns me only pure maths and C++ because apparently that's what I am (or was) good at *sigh*

My verbal is above 90%, which is equally bemusing, but less worrying. Oddly, my employer does not assign me language-based tasks, and they say that's because my English isn't good enough.

I'm looking forward to waking up and remembering that we all live on Mars, and that soda doesn't actually exist.
GMAT Club Bot