Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 516 [125]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618782 [83]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 [#permalink]
Bunuel, very nice explanation. I believe, the second method can be derived logically and the first one with some knowledge of equations in permutations and combination. Thanks once again.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gmatrant wrote:
Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 cards each. Each of the 6 cards within a suit has a different value from 1 to 6; thus, for each value from 1 to 6, there are two cards in the deck with that value. Bill likes to play a game in which he shuffles the deck, turns over 4 cards, and looks for pairs of cards that have the same value. What is the chance that Bill finds at least one pair of cards that have the same value?

a.8/33
b.62/165
c.17/33
d.103/165
e.25/33

My approach-

We need to calculate 1-p(x) where x is the probability of not drawing identical numbered cards.
1.From 12 cards we can pick any one number as the first card - No of ways =12
2.We now have 10 ways of picking the next card that does not have identical number = 10 ways
3. Picking up the 3rd card in 8 ways since 2 cards are already chosen and we cannot choose the same numbered card.
4. Similarly as in 3 we can now have 6 ways to choose the fourth card

Total ways of not picking even one identical number pair card = 12*10*8*6
Total ways of picking up 4 cards out of 12 = 12 * 11 * 10 *9
Probability of x is (12*10*8*6) / (12*11*10*9) = 16/33
Hence p(1-x) = 17/33.

I have a question here The total way of picking up 4 cards our of 12 is 12C4 and it will give me a different number than I calculated above. Can you please tell me where I am going wrong here, though I get the answer.

In method 1, the order of picking matters
In method 2, when you use the C(n,r) formulae, the order of picking does not matter
As a result method 2 will always yield a lower number of ways than method 1
Eg. In method 1, you will count the set Suit1No1, Suit1No2,Suit2No3,Suit2No4, 4! times, one for each ordering between the 4 cards that exists, whereas in method 2, you will count it only once.

It is essentially the difference between P(n,r) and C(n,r)

This subtlety is present in a lot of probability questions and must be clarified in the Q. The above question is in MGMAT (I got it on my CAT), but it fails to tell you if the 4 cards that are picked are picked simultaneously (i.e. order does not matter) or one by one. In my opinion such questions are ambiguous and the answer is dependent on the assumption you make. Unfortunately there are more Qs like this one on the MGMAT CATs, just something to be weary of.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [6]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shrouded1 wrote:
This subtlety is present in a lot of probability questions and must be clarified in the Q. The above question is in MGMAT (I got it on my CAT), but it fails to tell you if the 4 cards that are picked are picked simultaneously (i.e. order does not matter) or one by one. In my opinion such questions are ambiguous and the answer is dependent on the assumption you make. Unfortunately there are more Qs like this one on the MGMAT CATs, just something to be weary of.

Whether you pick the four cards simultaneously, or pick them one at a time (without replacement) doesn't actually matter if you are finding a probability; the two situations are mathematically identical. You can see this intuitively by thinking of taking hold of four cards in the deck first. If you take them all out at the same time, or if there is a nanosecond between your removing each, why would the probability that you get a pair be affected? It won't be, so the 'ambiguity' you suggest is present in such questions is no ambiguity at all.

You can see that either perspective will give you the same answer, though it's easier to illustrate with a simpler example. Say you have 3 red marbles and 4 blue marbles in a bag, and you pick two (either simultaneously, or without replacement - it's the same thing), and you want to find the probability of picking two red marbles. If we look at the problem as though we are picking marbles one at a time, we have 3*2 ways of picking two reds, and 7*6 ways of picking two marbles, so the probability would be 3*2/7*6 = 1/7. If we look at the problem as though we're picking two marbles simultaneously, we have 3C2 ways of picking two red marbles and 7C2 ways of picking two marbles, so the probability would be 3C2/7C2 = 1/7. So when you stick your two hands in the bag and grab two marbles, it doesn't matter if you lift your two hands out at the same time, or take them out one at a time; the probability is the same.

Note though that you need to be consistent in the calculation - if you assume order matters when you calculate the numerator, you must also assume order matters when you calculate the denominator.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
You are right, what I should have said is that the ambiguity occurs if you are solving the combinatorial problem, where you are counting outcomes.
In calculating probability it is irrelevant as the ordering terms will cancel themselves out.

In the question mentioned, the problem is if you calculate the number of relevant ways using one assumption and the total number of ways using another assumption
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [2]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
mainhoon wrote:
Bunuel - I understand the 6c4 x 2^4 approach.. but why is this wrong:
6c2 - 2 cards from 1st suite
4c2 - 2 cards from the 4 remaining (the other 2 have the same #s as the ones selected from 1st suite)..
so 6c2 x 4c2?

There is 2 major problems with this :

(a) By choosing 2 cards from one suit and 2 from the other, you are forcing that the choice has exactly 2 cards from each suit, which is not true

(b) Even if you had to calculate no of ways to pick 4 cards such that no pairs and 2 cards from each suite, this is wrong, because it needs to be multiplied by 2 [2 ways to choose which is the "first suite"]
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [3]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This calculation is not really too lengthy. Although this is a difficult question, it is fair game for the GMAT at higher score levels.

Required probability = 1 -prob(no pair of cards have the same value)
= 1 - [(12x10x8x6/12x11x10x9)]
= 1 - 48/99
= 17/33

Option (C)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [4]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bill has a small what? :)

sorry for that joke ))) Actually, this question was discussed trillions times. that is why I cant do anything, but smile )

https://gmatclub.com/forum/bill-has-a-small-deck-of-12-playing-cards-made-up-of-only-2-suits-of-6-cards-each-96078.html

P.S. my advise- use google search and ur life will be brighter :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Bill has a small what?

sorry for that joke ))) Actually, this question was discussed trillions times. that is why I cant do anything, but smile )

bill-has-a-small-deck-of-12-playing-cards-made-up-of-only-2-suits-of-6-cards-each-96078.html

P.S. my advise- use google search and ur life will be brighter https://www.google.ru/#hl=ru&newwindow= ... 54&bih=579

actually i don't care what has Bill and what size it is - but it took me more than two min to find it out
compared to trillion +-1 doesnt make any difference )
but ,anyway, thank you for an advice - a quite good one!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
The way that is given here I understand.
pairs-twins-and-couples-103472.html#p805725

But I am trying to do in another way , wonder what I am doing wrong.
at least one pair means either one pair or two pairs
so lets suppose we have A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 AND B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

I understand the 1 - p( opposite event )

but just for understanding sake , if I tried the direct way , how could it be done.

P( One pair) + p( two pairs )

one pair

6C1*5C2(4!/2!)= 720

6C1 = ways to select the one card from 6 which will form the pair
5C2 = select two different cards from the 5 remaining to form the singles * This I think this is not correct , what would be correct *
4!/2! = permutations of 4 letters where two are identical

for two pairs

6C2 * 4!/2!2! = 90

6C2 = ways to select the two cards which will form the pair .
4!/2!2! = ways to arrange the 4 letters where 2 are same kind and another 2 are same kind .

hence total ways for at least one pair -> 6C1*5C2(4!/2!) + 6C2 * 4!/2!2! = 810 ( what is wrong here)
however this will not the required answer, can anybody please correct my logic and show me how to approach this direct way ?
total ways 4 cards can be selected 12C4 = 495 hence I am getting a probability more than one which is not possible

Would highly appreciate any help.

Originally posted by stne on 17 Sep 2012, 05:28.
Last edited by stne on 17 Sep 2012, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [4]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
stne wrote:
The way that is given here I understand.
pairs-twins-and-couples-103472.html#p805725

But I am trying to do in another way , wonder what I am doing wrong.
at least one pair means either one pair or two pairs
so lets suppose we have A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 AND B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

I understand the 1 - p( opposite event )

but just for understanding sake , if I tried the direct way , how could it be done.

P( One pair) + p( two pairs )

one pair

6C1*10C2(4!/2!)= 720

6C1 = ways to select the one card from 6 which will form the pair
5C2 = select two different cards from the 5 remaining to form the singles * This I think this is not correct , what would be correct *
4!/2! = permutations of 4 letters where two are identical

for two pairs

6C2 * 4!/2!2! = 90

6C2 = ways to select the two cards which will form the pair .
4!/2!2! = ways to arrange the 4 letters where 2 are same kind and another 2 are same kind .

hence total ways for at least one pair -> 6C1*10C2(4!/2!) + 6C2 * 4!/2!2! = 810 ( what is wrong here)
however this will not the required answer, can anybody please correct my logic and show me how to approach this direct way ?
total ways 4 cards can be selected 12C4 = 495 hence I am getting a probability more than one which is not possible

Would highly appreciate any help.

One pair - should be 6C1*5C2*2*2 = 6*10*4 = 240. Choose one pair out of 6, then two single cards from two different pairs. You have two suits, so for the same number two possibilities.
Two pairs - just 6C2=15.
Total - 255
Probability 255/495 = 17/33.

10C2 also includes remaining pairs of cards with the same number, so choosing 2 out of 10 does not guarantee two non-identical numbers.
Another problem is that 495 represents the number of choices for 4 cards, regardless to the order in which they were drawn. Then you should consider the other choices accordingly, and disregard the order in which they were chosen.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM