Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink]
I guess pronoun ambiguity is being tested. C perfectly represents the role of teachers and that of students as presented in the SC.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
btg9788 wrote:
I guess pronoun ambiguity is being tested. C perfectly represents the role of teachers and that of students as presented in the SC.

Well, I would say the logical issue of what modifies what is also a big part of this sentence. Suppose there were no pronouns present, and think about (A) ------
... in neglecting to provide the academic challenges, the students ....
The students aren't the ones who would provide, or neglect to provide, the academic challenges. The GMAT loves logical glitches like this. Remember, the GMAT SC tests logic as much as it tests grammar.
Mike :-)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
C should be the answer

1) A comma immediately after underlined part indicates that the underlined part should be subordinate clause and should logically be connected to the following main clause students………….it implies. This is because later is consequence of an earlier action

2) The usage of their is ambiguous. I also have doubt that that may be referring to providing

3) Correct Choice. Corrects both errors presented above.

4) Incorrect for the same reasons sited in Choice A and B

5) wordy and awkward usage in being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges.

Regards,

Narenn
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
[quote="mikemcgarry"]Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential, the students often accept this damaging diagnosis and the life limits it implies.
(A) in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential
(B) when they neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential
(C) when teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
(D) in neglecting in providing the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
(E) in being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential

Good testing of modifier...

clearly if you understand the meaning of the sentence you can nail this one seconds
since:
"in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential"===>this one followed by students so it is modifying students....but it is not the students who are neglecting to provide academic challenges..instead teachers are neglecting...

so now if you scan through....you will find only C IS MAKING SENSE.

SKM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I understand that this question has a pronoun error and we can get the best answer by correcting the pronouns. But my question is, i have learned that 'when' is used to only refer to a time frame. How can the usage of 'when' be correct here?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jacobneroth wrote:
I understand that this question has a pronoun error and we can get the best answer by correcting the pronouns. But my question is, i have learned that 'when' is used to only refer to a time frame. How can the usage of 'when' be correct here?

Dear jacobneroth
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, "when" always refers to a time frame, but we have many ways of referring to a time frame. One way is to refer to the particular time frame during which a particular action takes place or took place.

When Athens condemned Socrates to death . . .
When Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo . . .
When a pope dies . . .
When Obama has his press conference tomorrow . . .
When a soccer team has a corner kick . . .
When a GMAT student asks a question . . .
When teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges to their students . . .

All of those are particular time frames. Some of them are unique one-time-only time-frames, and some of them are recurrent and maybe even frequent. For example, soccer is played all over the world, so it may happen hundred of time each day that a soccer team somewhere on the planet has a corner kick. The frequency doesn't matter. At that particular time and place, the action of a corner kick is happening, and the "when" refers to events during that very specific time frame.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5649 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation

Split #1: modifier problem. The sentence begins with an independent clause, then a comma and the word "and", introducing a second independent clause, the main clause of which follows the underlined part. If the underlined part begins with participial phrase, this must modify "the students", the subject of the second independent clause. This is problematic, because the students don't "neglect to provide the academic challenges" --- that's a teacher's job, not a student's job! Choices (A) & (D) & (E) all have a participial phrase that illogically modifies "the students", so these are incorrect.

Split #2: choice (B) makes the classic repeated pronouns mistake. "… when they [the teachers] neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their [the students'] intellectual potential …" The pronoun "they"/"their" refers to two different antecedents in the same sentence! That's 100% illegal on the GMAT. (B) is incorrect.

This leaves (C) as the only possible answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Could you please explain this one also AndrewN? Thanks a lot in advance.

I couldn't understand the sentence, highlighted in red:
If the underlined part begins with participial phrase, this must modify "the students", the subject of the second independent clause.

While I understand the ambiguity between "teachers" and "students" in this sentence, I am not so clear why the participle phrase after "and" cannot refer to the "teachers", which is also the subject of the previous sentence?

Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and
(A) in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential

aragonn wrote:

Official Explanation

Split #1: modifier problem. The sentence begins with an independent clause, then a comma and the word "and", introducing a second independent clause, the main clause of which follows the underlined part. If the underlined part begins with participial phrase, this must modify "the students", the subject of the second independent clause. This is problematic, because the students don't "neglect to provide the academic challenges" --- that's a teacher's job, not a student's job! Choices (A) & (D) & (E) all have a participial phrase that illogically modifies "the students", so these are incorrect.

Split #2: choice (B) makes the classic repeated pronouns mistake. "… when they [the teachers] neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their [the students'] intellectual potential …" The pronoun "they"/"their" refers to two different antecedents in the same sentence! That's 100% illegal on the GMAT. (B) is incorrect.

This leaves (C) as the only possible answer.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:

If the underlined part begins with participial phrase, this must modify "the students", the subject of the second independent clause.

While I understand the ambiguity between "teachers" and "students" in this sentence, I am not so clear why the participle phrase after "and" cannot refer to the "teachers", which is also the subject of the previous sentence?

Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and

Hello, Pankaj0901. Although I agree that the participle on its own could modify teachers, if that were so, we would expect to see them mentioned again after the underlined portion, where we get students instead. To be clear, the following standalone variant would be fine (changes are highlighted):

1) Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students' intellectual potential, the teachers...

In the original sentence, because we cannot negotiate the students immediately after the underlined portion, and especially because their prior to the comma does, in fact, refer to this group rather than the teachers, we find ourselves in a logical quandary to qualify the participle. It seems to refer to teachers until we jump across the comma, at which point a more compelling case can be made, grammatically at least, for the students.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
I completely got the point. Thank you for such nice explanations as always @AndewN. You have made my process of learning so easy I had not expected. Thanks to @GMATCub for having such great people under one umbrella in this forum! :please:

AndrewN wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:

Hello, Pankaj0901. Although I agree that the participle on its own could modify teachers, if that were so, we would expect to see them mentioned again after the underlined portion, where we get students instead. To be clear, the following standalone variant would be fine (changes are highlighted):

1) Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students' intellectual potential, the teachers...

In the original sentence, because we cannot negotiate the students immediately after the underlined portion, and especially because their prior to the comma does, in fact, refer to this group rather than the teachers, we find ourselves in a logical quandary to qualify the participle. It seems to refer to teachers until we jump across the comma, at which point a more compelling case can be made, grammatically at least, for the students.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts