Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: GMAT Tutoring During MBA - Legal ? [#permalink]
Hi Veritas Prep Ron,
Do you imply that GMAT Tutoring during MBA is allowed in Canada

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Send PM
dipen01 wrote:
It accounts to a form of business / source of income, so in my opinion your regular Education Visa might not permit it.

Yeah you are right. However student VISA does allow part time jobs inside or outside university.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
My gut feeling is.. You probably wont be allowed to join a proper test prep company like MGMAT or Veritas.. But there probably should not be any problem with someone offering personal tuition (maybe through a craigslist ad).. If it is not invoiced and such, it would not be a taxable transaction.. But then again what do I know.. :P

But I think another question to be considered would be GMAT Tutoring During MBA - Possible?.. From all the people I've talked to, they hardly seem to have time to juggle between classes, clubs, events and recruiting...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
The visa does not permit any formal employment unless A) you do it as an internship or B) it is on campus.
What you are referring to is most likely A) Working for a formal company - not permitted or B) doing it as a self-promoted tutor/teacher and taking mostly cash payments - not permitted but there is no easy way for them to track you.

P.S. It is fairly hard to be a self-promoted teacher/tutor - I did it a bit on a side after the admissions director at my school asked me to tutor one of the students (she needed a lot of help) but that was the only tutoring I ever did that was paid (other lessons/students were free). There is a lot of competition for tutoring :-)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Veritas Prep Ron,
Do you imply that GMAT Tutoring during MBA is allowed in Canada

Hi abhiJ, no I'm just comparing my experience of trying to cross the border to teach/tutor GMAT without a formal work permit. Most countries have the same types of laws, so I don't think you'd be allowed to do it any more in Canada than you would in the States. However I have no experience with Canadian work permit laws as I am a citizen born here.

I think BB summed up your situation the best. You can't formally work for someone but you could probably do it if you promoted yourself independently. However I'm fairly sure that this isn't legal so if you get caught the ramifications could be unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it, but of course the decision is ultimately yours alone to take.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks Bb, MacFauz and Ron for your comments. With a 710 no one is going to give me their time and money :). I was just thinking of another motivation for retaking the GMAT. Mind games you know, sometimes they work.
GMAT Club Bot