Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink]
Thanks aerien.

I could use your suggestion with respect to my profile.

1) I have done my Engineering in Information Technology followed by Masters in Operations Management.
2) I was handling family business for 2 years wherein, I was responsible to set up an export oriented manufacturing unit from scratch.
3) Since last 2 years, I have been working in SCM/Project Management profile - a challenging position with a wide scope, in a famous Consumer Durables company.
4) I plan to work in this company for another year after which I will take a call to either pursue MBA or shift to slightly different role in a different company for a year or two.

In future I am looking for roles in SCM/Logistics and more so I am inclined towards International Business.

So my question is - Which of 3 (MLOG, LGO, Regular MBA at Sloan) seem fit for my profile ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dipen01 wrote:
Thanks aerien.

I could use your suggestion with respect to my profile.

1) I have done my Engineering in Information Technology followed by Masters in Operations Management.
2) I was handling family business for 2 years wherein, I was responsible to set up an export oriented manufacturing unit from scratch.
3) Since last 2 years, I have been working in SCM/Project Management profile - a challenging position with a wide scope, in a famous Consumer Durables company.
4) I plan to work in this company for another year after which I will take a call to either pursue MBA or shift to slightly different role in a different company for a year or two.

In future I am looking for roles in SCM/Logistics and more so I am inclined towards International Business.

So my question is - Which of 3 (MLOG, LGO, Regular MBA at Sloan) seem fit for my profile ?

Considering you already have a master's in Operations Management, I'm not sure how much value an MLOG / MSCM will help you career wise. I have the impression that those degrees will cover basically the same material (though I'm not in the program so I could be wrong).

That being said, I do think an MBA seems more in line with your goals. What you should think about more is defining your goals -- how will an MBA enhance what you already have? You don't want the two years to just repeat what you already know. What other skills, besides SCM, do you feel would help you with your career and can an MBA help you gain those skills?

As far as Sloan's MBA vs LGO, you'll have to consider if you need the additional masters in engineering (and which engineering specialty). That depends on your goals post MBA, though I do think your background would make you a pretty viable candidate (most have engineering/science/math backgrounds).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CIPS
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello Aerien,

I'd really appreciate if you can review my profile and advise about my chances to get into MIT SCM Program. I'm really motivated to join to the program based on the information provided on its website. HOwever, its quite hard to find any references to understand about the future prospects and chances of getting into the program.

GMAT Score:
Q 49, V 31, IR 6 (650)
Demographics:
Indian, 28, Male

Work Experience:
Procurement & Supply Chain Management - 6 years ( 5 years in UAE), Construction, Oil and Gas
Currently working as a Buyer with Abu Dhabi Government Organization. Youngest Employee in the Division. Average work experience of the peers is 10+ years.

Short Term Goal: Pretty happy with Procurement and Supply Chain environment. The main idea is to build up a great professional network and to develop a 180 degree understanding of management priinciples. My aim is to remain in Middle East and to propel my career into new heights.

Academic:
Bachelor of Engineering - Electrical & Electronics, from a state level Indian University - 62.8%, first Class (No GPA System)

Certificates:
CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) - Level 3 and Level 4
CPP (Certified Purchaisng Professional ) - Awarded by APICS
PMP - Expected to complete the second quarter of 2014.

Thanks in advance. BR

Rizz
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rizz wrote:
Hello Aerien,

I'd really appreciate if you can review my profile and advise about my chances to get into MIT SCM Program. I'm really motivated to join to the program based on the information provided on its website. HOwever, its quite hard to find any references to understand about the future prospects and chances of getting into the program.

GMAT Score:
Q 49, V 31, IR 6 (650)
Demographics:
Indian, 28, Male

Work Experience:
Procurement & Supply Chain Management - 6 years ( 5 years in UAE), Construction, Oil and Gas
Currently working as a Buyer with Abu Dhabi Government Organization. Youngest Employee in the Division. Average work experience of the peers is 10+ years.

Short Term Goal: Pretty happy with Procurement and Supply Chain environment. The main idea is to build up a great professional network and to develop a 180 degree understanding of management priinciples. My aim is to remain in Middle East and to propel my career into new heights.

Academic:
Bachelor of Engineering - Electrical & Electronics, from a state level Indian University - 62.8%, first Class (No GPA System)

Certificates:
CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) - Level 3 and Level 4
CPP (Certified Purchaisng Professional ) - Awarded by APICS
PMP - Expected to complete the second quarter of 2014.

Thanks in advance. BR

Rizz

Hey rizz,

I'm not up to date on the SCM program anymore but you seem to have the appropriate background for it. If you do plan to get a holistic view of management principles from the degree though, I would suggest looking into MBA programs with an emphasis on SCM (MIT LGO, Kellogg MMM, and Ross Tauber are all great programs for this). My (dated) understanding of the SCM program is that it's specifically geared towards people wanting an SCM specific role, but you should look into what adcom has to say at MIT and assess your options from there. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
I wish if someone in the group could able to help me with median GMAT score for MIT SCM program. Even range would do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.21
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
AshutoshThakur wrote:
Hi,
I wish if someone in the group could able to help me with median GMAT score for MIT SCM program. Even range would do.

You can chk their website for this info. I think it is 710. I am trying to connect with some Alums to figure out how's the program.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Sloan (MIT) Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Sloan (MIT) Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Sloan (MIT) Forum for all fresh things related to the Sloan (MIT) MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts