Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Let offers expire or decline? [#permalink]
Hi there,

If you are fortunate enough to be in a position to have acceptances from numerous universities, you have a responsibility to play by the rules you expected of these programs. You don't necessarily have to tell them why you are declining (they may ask, and you can be as specific or as ambiguous as you would like) but you should absolutely notify programs where you will not be attending as soon as possible.

After all, there are other candidates out there who are all trying for the same spots! The world's a small place and it's an easy way to stand up and do the right thing the right way.

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Please decline the offer. That is the correct thing to do. I don't understand why you would even feel the need to lie. If they ask why you are declining you can leave it blank if you like, but why would you lie?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Hi all. I am declining the offer at one of the schools I was accepted to. I have already declined through the online form.

Do you think it's necessary/unnecessary to personally email the adcom who interviewed me to thank him and let him know of my decision?

Thank you!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
@ADROCK: that is a very nice touch and I think you don't hurt yourself by doing so. Like I mentioned, the world is small and in more ways than just one. I think it's a really nice gesture that they'll appreciate. You may not ever get anything from it, but you surely won't lose anything either!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Thanks for posting this.

If you are going to decline an offer of admissions from a school, please notify them by whatever means they ask. This is not much to ask and you will free the spot up for another deserving candidate. Another way to think of it -- they were kind enough to admit you -- you should be kind enough to let them know that you will not be accepting their invitation.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Im in a tough situation guys.
A good school has offered me a place and the first reservation fee deadline is a few days away.
But, I am still waiting for some more schools to respond to make an informed decision.
At the same time, not knowing if I will be accepted or rejected from the remaining schools, I want to make the initial payment (pretty small) so that I don't lose the place I have already.

But what do I do in case, my target school offers me a place after I have made this payment?
How would I go about rejecting a place from the school XYZ?
I hope they do not issue the CAS letter as soon as I transfer the reservation fee.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
michelangelo88 wrote:
A good school has offered me a place and the first reservation fee deadline is a few days away.
But, I am still waiting for some more schools to respond to make an informed decision.
At the same time, not knowing if I will be accepted or rejected from the remaining schools, I want to make the initial payment (pretty small) so that I don't lose the place I have already.

But what do I do in case, my target school offers me a place after I have made this payment?
I hope they do not issue the CAS letter as soon as I transfer the reservation fee.

You can decline admission after paying the deposit fee. Only Columbia ED is binding. You lose the deposit fee though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
michelangelo88 wrote:

You can decline admission after paying the deposit fee. Only Columbia ED is binding. You lose the deposit fee though.

That's good to know. I was worried about the binding part.
Deposit fee of most schools in the initial stages is generally minimal, thank god for that.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts