Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.52
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink]
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
cyril94115 wrote:
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)

Totally agree with Cyril... Don't quit your job if you don't need to... Worst case, you could end up with no job and no school admittances... No need to do that to yourself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
NewCardinal wrote:
cyril94115 wrote:
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
C.

Hi there,

Totally agree with Cyril... Don't quit your job if you don't need to... Worst case, you could end up with no job and no school admittances... No need to do that to yourself.

I'm going to take a slightly different stance.

First, you certainly sound like a fit for the program, so apply.

Second, know that Stanford applauds risk taking, particularly when the intention is to drive change. So I don't think that quitting your job to work on a new venture will hurt you. That is what I did. In fact, I think that it would be difficult to interview as a candidate that doesn't enjoy their job and has a venture idea, but is unwilling to commit to it. If you are quitting just to take a sabbatical, that could be problematic (unless your going to do something really cool like climb everest).

One piece of advice - which is particularly important if you do decide to leave your job - I believe it is essential to schedule a campus/class visit and a face-to-face interview with the admissions staff. I did so and I feel like it help tremendously as it allowed me to explain my position and discuss my new venture. In fact, I don't believe I would have been admitted without the interview. Cyril is right, your industry experience is well represented. But, I would assume it is also one of the most competitive for admittance.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thank you very much for your replies. It is very helpfull.
I am planning on coming to SF this summer. In order to meet the admission staff, should I just call the number (on their internet site) or do you have a better suggestion?
Many thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
claudayst wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies. It is very helpfull.
I am planning on coming to SF this summer. In order to meet the admission staff, should I just call the number (on their internet site) or do you have a better suggestion?
Many thx

just call that number.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

I applied for Stanford MSx this year and got accepted for 2016 class. Now this is a decision time and time to figure out financial options as well. I have a couple of questions. I hope some of you, who are recent alumni, might be able to help.

1). Does anyone know what is the approximate breakup of self funded v/s employer sponsored in this program for current or previous years? I looked at class profile on school website but they do not have this detail.
2). Can anyone share if you have been able to take any financial aids apart from standard education loan for this program?
3). I have not been able to find any employment statistics for current or past years. I know this is a program for experienced leaders with diverse background and not all might be looking for a job after the program. But I am sure most of the self-funded students might be looking for a job. Can anyone share details regarding employment statistics or at least the major companies which have been more commonly hiring from Stanford MSx class especially in general management, consulting or technology management area?

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Stanford Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Stanford Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Stanford Forum for all fresh things related to the Stanford MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts