Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3284 [16]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [10]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink]
Hello Mike, Would you mind clearing my doubt?

(C) an investigation of four investment banks by securities regulators has found that all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use

In this option i thought how can an investigation find something, it must be human to do so?

Is my observation valid in this case? :(

Regards
Atal Pandit
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
atalpanditgmat wrote:

(C) an investigation of four investment banks by securities regulators has found that all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use

In this option i thought how can an investigation find something, it must be human to do so?

Regards
Atal Pandit

Dear Atal,
I'm sorry to say, but I think you are splitting hairs too much. If the noun were a concrete object, then yes, we could say --- a concrete object could not find anything: it must be a human. But here, the noun is "an investigation" --- that means, a bunch of people investigating. At no time is the investigation taking place that there aren't real human people doing the investigating. It's an irreducibly human action, so it most certainly can "find" things. Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
yes it is clear but i still look forward for some examples to polish my understanding.

kindly give some examples if possible..
thank You..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
atalpanditgmat wrote:
yes it is clear but i still look forward for some examples to polish my understanding.

kindly give some examples if possible..
thank You..

Dear Atalpanditgmat,
Sure, here are a few examples. First of all, in the OG13,
in SC #10, a "theory holds that..."
in SC #16, a "surge in new home sales ... suggests ...."
in SC #18, "the National Academy of Science has urged ..."
in SC #75, "cities are stressing the arts ..."
Those are a few examples in the OG of larger non-personal nouns taking personal actions.

It would also be perfectly acceptable to talk about ----
... an investigation has found ...
... an exploration of X has revealed ....
... experimentation with X has found ...
... a new understanding of X holds that ...

My friend, I am going to recommend that you make a regular practice of reading a good newspaper, such as the NYT or WSJ, or even better, the Economist Magazine.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-reading-list/
In any sophisticated news source, you will see an abundance of phrasings just like these.

Does all this make sense?
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
C must be the correct answer. It uses the parallel structure "that" in all the parts of the descriptors.
In D the major fault is it avoids parallelism...use should be written as using..
I believe entire question is just based on parallelism.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
atalpanditgmat wrote:

Regards
Atal Pandit

Dear Atal,
I'm sorry to say, but I think you are splitting hairs too much. If the noun were a concrete object, then yes, we could say --- a concrete object could not find anything: it must be a human. But here, the noun is "an investigation" --- that means, a bunch of people investigating. At no time is the investigation taking place that there aren't real human people doing the investigating. It's an irreducibly human action, so it most certainly can "find" things. Does this make sense?

Hi Mike,

Correct me pls if I am wrong. In the not-underlined section, "instead" is not used properly.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Expert Reply
alphaseeker wrote:
Hi Mike,

Correct me pls if I am wrong. In the not-underlined section, "instead" is not used properly.

Dear alphaseeker,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here is the prompt sentence again:
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions, four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half of the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets.
In this prompt, the word "instead" is used perfectly correct. Fundamentally, the word "instead" is an adverb, a verb or action modifier, and so can appear in many places in a sentence or clause. As you may understand, verb modifiers have many fewer restrictions on their placement, unlike noun modifier. This is a relatively sophisticated use of the word "instead" but it is perfectly correct.

My friend, if this sound odd to you, it means you are not reading enough. The only way you can develop an "ear" for sophisticated English is to read. See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
alphaseeker wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear alphaseeker,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here is the prompt sentence again:
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions, four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half of the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets.
In this prompt, the word "instead" is used perfectly correct. Fundamentally, the word "instead" is an adverb, a verb or action modifier, and so can appear in many places in a sentence or clause. As you may understand, verb modifiers have many fewer restrictions on their placement, unlike noun modifier. This is a relatively sophisticated use of the word "instead" but it is perfectly correct.

My friend, if this sound odd to you, it means you are not reading enough. The only way you can develop an "ear" for sophisticated English is to read. See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Thank you Mike, please bear in mind I am a non-native speaker..

I think I confused it with "instead of". I did not know that "instead" is an adverb. It is now clear to me. Thank you again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
monirjewel wrote:
(A) four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use
(B) an investigation by securities regulators of four investment banks have found all four consistently misusing funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
(D) four investment banks were investigated by securities regulators who found all four misusing funds, with many banks deteriorating, and more than half the banks did not use
(E) an investigation by securities regulators has found that, of four investment banks, all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using

Hi mikemcgarry

Can you demystify the structure of this sentence. I am not able to comprehend the structure of this sentence - doesn't look like two independent clauses are joined !

Regards,
SR
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
solitaryreaper wrote:
monirjewel wrote:
(A) four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use
(B) an investigation by securities regulators of four investment banks have found all four consistently misusing funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
(D) four investment banks were investigated by securities regulators who found all four misusing funds, with many banks deteriorating, and more than half the banks did not use
(E) an investigation by securities regulators has found that, of four investment banks, all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using

mikemcgarry
Can you demystify the structure of this sentence. I am not able to comprehend the structure of this sentence - doesn't look like two independent clauses are joined !
Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help. :-) That sentence has only one independent clause.

Let's just look at version (C), the OA:
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions, an investigation of four investment banks by securities regulators has found that all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets.

Once again, the split infinitive ("to artificially support") is an embarrassing gaffe for the authors of the question. We'll leave that aside. Here is how this sentence is organized

The word "after" is an subordinate conjunction that opens a dependent clause. What's tricky is that this subordinate conjunction is modified by an adverb phrase "almost three years," but this is perfectly acceptable. Here's the whole dependent clause:
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions . . .
Notice that this contains an infinitive of purpose ("to ... support") that contains a long string of prepositional phrases.
For more on infinitives of purpose, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/the-infini ... orrection/
For more on infinitive phrases, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

So all that, everything up to the first comma, is dependent clause. That by itself would not be a complete sentence.

After the comma, the main clause of the sentence begins.
"an investigation" = MAIN SUBJECT of sentence
"has found" = MAIN VERB of sentence

What's particularly interesting is that the direct object of the verb is a set of three substantive clauses in parallel. Substantive clauses, also known as noun clauses, are clauses that take the place of a noun. For more on these, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/
Each one is a "that" clause that contains its own subject and verb:
1) that all four consistently misused funds
2) that many banks deteriorated
"and"
3) that more than half the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets

The last "that" clause features two verbs in parallel: "did not use . . . and instead used." This construction is 100% grammatically correct, but not necessarily the most elegant. I think a considerably more GMAT-like structure would be a "not . . but" parallelism:
that more than half the banks used the funds not for the greater economy, but for their risky financial bets.
That would be more concise, direct, and GMAT-like.

This question is in many ways far from the high standards of the GMAT. Here's a more GMAT-like question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3586

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks a lot mikemcgarry !!

This is very informative :)

Just one last piece to cement my understanding.
Is it true that any subordinate conjunction can give rise to a grammatically correct dependent clause ? Or there is a list of a bona fide conjunctions that can only be used to frame dependent clauses.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
SR
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
solitaryreaper wrote:
Thanks a lot mikemcgarry !!

This is very informative :)

Just one last piece to cement my understanding.
Is it true that any subordinate conjunction can give rise to a grammatically correct dependent clause ? Or there is a list of a bona fide conjunctions that can only be used to frame dependent clauses.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, think about your question. The definition of a "subordinate conjunction" is "a word that introduces a dependent clause." If a word could not correctly introduce a dependent clause, it couldn't possibly be a subordinate conjunction. You can see a list of these here:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/top-six-gm ... orrection/

Dependent clauses can be introduced by either a subordinate conjunction or by a relative pronoun/adverb (who, what, that, which, how, why, whose, whom, etc. ) Both can start grammatically correct dependent clauses.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this question is not too hard, test takers can use their ears to find the correct answer. C is clear and least awkward.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts