Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V25
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [0]
Send PM
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink]
Thank you very much, Brian! I am very excited for getting individualized alanysis of my test from you! I surely have to think it more thoroughly, but for the moment I understand your response a good news, right? I will feedback my real score too! Please know that I did not want to contest the algorithm quality - even if I was positively surprised, I have been preparing for the exam very dilligently (e.g. did most of the GMAT Club 700+ problems twice, with analysis). All right, shhh for now, I don't want to jinx it. Back to math :).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Some more feedback here. I corroborated my score with GMAT Prep: 730 (finished on time). The split was quite similar: V 40 (11 incorrect), Q49 (13 incorrect), compared to Veritas' V 42 (12 incorrect), Q 48 (13 incorrect + 8 n/a). The strange fact is that I made more mistakes in Quant and still got significantly higher percentile than in Verbal. The more that I even feel more confident in Verbal.

But that's it for the good news. Here's the bad news.
Drained but confident after a few days of learning without respite, I have taken the Manhattan CAT. Now I know it was a bad idea to take a number of full-lenghts one a day in a row and then to approach Manhattan. I wasted it getting my lowest score ever: 590. Q 34 (12 errors + 10 n/a), V 36 (15 errors). As for quant, I took off very confident and that's what lost me. I should have remembered that first questions are 500-600 level and not to look for a trap. Thus, I trapped myself. Anyways, the strange fact again: my Q performance was way worse than the V performance, yet they differ only by 2 points. How come?

Ultimately, I am in a muddle. What score should I expect after hitting 660 (1st GMAT Prep), 730 (Veritas), 730 (2nd GMAT Prep), and 590 (Manhattan)? What I know for sure is that I will not be learning two days prior to the GMAT: the highest scores I got after a longer break, the lowest after a longer study.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Humpty Dumpty

On my first gmat prep, with 13 incorrect; i scored 49 on Quant.
Ony my second gmat prep, with 12 incorrect; i scored 45 on Quant.

The difference between the two was that on my first attempt i did not made a single mistake till 12th or 13th question, whereas on 2nd attempt i made a few mistakes on first 10 to 15 questions.

I do not know how to rate my performance.
Regarding Veritas prep, the test is a real reflection of your actual gmat score. MGMAT test has not been so successful when it comes to comparision with the actual score.
They need to redesign the quant section....Veritas presents a balanced CAT, which is close to real gmat.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
On my second gmat prep, with 12 incorrect; i scored 45 on Quant.

The difference between the two was that on my first attempt i did not made a single mistake till 12th or 13th question, whereas on 2nd attempt i made a few mistakes on first 10 to 15 questions.

Thanks for answering. So true, the same influenced my score.

Archit143 wrote:
Regarding Veritas prep, the test is a real reflection of your actual gmat score. MGMAT test has not been so successful when it comes to comparision with the actual score.

Based upon...?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Archit143 wrote:

Based upon...?[/quote]

The quant section on MGMAT is focused a lot on formula and hectic calculation. Veritas presents a more concept based quants question..But yes overall structure of Quant on veritas is bit simpler compared to MGMAT. No doubt the verbal part of veritas except for SC is a good and I say harder version of GMAT.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey HumptyDumpty,

Thanks for the debrief, and it's great to hear that our scoring holds up so well to GMATPrep!

As for your situation, a few thoughts:

1) There just isn't a better predictor available than the GMAT Prep tests, so if you're worrying about which tests to trust, trust that one.

2) Regardless of the scoring algorithm / question quality on that most recent test you took, there are plenty of factors that could have contributed to a lackluster performance - your stamina might have been sapped as you near the finish line, you may have been a little distracted having done so much work leading up to it, etc. And not to make excuses for you, but take that lesson as "When I'm on I'm mid 700s, but if I let my attention wander, if I don't go in well-rested and focused, etc., nothing is guaranteed". There's something to be learned from that most recent test. Try to replicate the conditions from those 730s on test day.

3) Maybe most importantly...YOU CANNOT FAKE A 730 on GMAT PREP! Unless you saw a bunch of repeat questions, that 730 isn't a fluke, and with a very-similar breakdown 730 on the Veritas test you have some validation that it most certainly wasn't a fluke. Be confident - no one scores 700+ on one of those tests by accident, so it's pretty clear that the MGMAT test was the outlier, for whatever reason. You have 700+ potential this week, so be confident in that, and keep doing the things that led you to those back-to-back 730s recently and you should be successful on test day!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
Exactly, No matter how many times you take the GMAT prep, unless it presents a good bunch of repeat question, you will score as per your exact potential...10 points here and there....

GMAT PREP are the best predictor of what your true score can be.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I took the Veritas exam and got a 720 . I have given a couple of Manhattan tests before and found that the difficulty level of Veritas test was a little more comparable to the actual GMAT than the Manhattan ones .

The Manhattan tests are a little more time consuming and grilling than the actual GMAT (Just my view )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Hello,

Even I found the Manhattan test questions to be tougher than GMATPrep Mock test questions as well as GMAT Review questions. I was a little scared after seeing my low score of 630 (dropping from 680 from the free Manhattan GMAT test). Anyone here knows about the quality of GMATPrep paper tests?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
650, Q 48, V 33, 78 Percentile. I do not know my IR and AWA score yet.

This is both good and bad news. Good because I am still above my business school threshold, bad becuase I was not learning so hard to get 650. This score is enough, but could be better.

Until the verbal part everything went smoothly, Q 48 is what I expected. However, V 33 is low as for me: I expected ab. 40-43. I must confess that I did feel drained after the first 2.5 hours, I felt how my concentration disperse. Insufficient endurance, it is my self-diagnosis. The more that I had to guess few last questions in Q, but in V I finished in time.

As for the moment, I cannot say if I am going to take the test once again. On one hand my score will suffice to get to my school, but on the other hand my ambitions for 700+ loom large. Have some of you experienced similar story? What did you do?

Honestly, one thing poses a serious obstacle to students like me: the costs. I suggest that the GMAC think this over. I know there is this thing called "geographical price preference" and you can use it with various companies from USA, e.g. National Geographic. The cost of the GMAT is 250 USD, 300+ USD with VAT in my country and if I were e.g. German or USA citizen, I could easily earn this in a week. But here it takes 3 work weeks to cover all the costs. Going to the nearest test center 300 miles does not help neither. As a result many more people from wealthier countries take the test multiple times putting the others at disadvantage. Everyone is well aware of the Purchasing Power Parity and the argument of equal price to everyone is just balls. The GMAT is not a 100% commercial product, but an educational one with increasing influence and accessing it should not be the matter of price, as it is in many cases, I believe. Perhaps it is whining, but isn't it also true? I'd like to know your opinion.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi Humpty

i too took the test on 29h, this was 3rd attempt. I scored 630 Q 45 V 31.... AWA and IR still awaited. I expected little bit higher on quant.
But greatest problem during the test happened when the computer got auto switched off...hail Caesar!!!! i thought that i am nailed.....what, seriously after paying such high amount for tests, if something that sort happens on test...I thinks its totally unprofessional from their part.

Yes, I second your thought on the currency conversion factor. GMAC must pay heed to it.

By the way, which college are you applying to....

Archit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If the incident consumed your test time, think about reporting it.
I want to apply to Mannheim University (Germany) or St. Gallen University (Switzerland).
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi
I have already reported the incident, but they have not replied back yet. Lets see, what do they reply....

I am still waiting
By day way both colleges are equally good. But post mba if you do not know to speak german it will be a problem

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
@HD

I agree that the currency exchange and other demographic factors put some guys in some geography to an undue disadvantage. But, whether there should be a limit on the total number of attempts or number of attempts in a year is an open question ;). Also, I agree that the number and accessibility of centers could be improved as 250$ is still a descent sum!

@Archit

This sounds terrible what happened during your exam. I would say you can track GMAC reps. here about the updates on your issue. I hope for a positive decision:)
Director
Director
Send PM
Gian wrote:

@Archit

This sounds terrible what happened during your exam. I would say you can track GMAC reps. here about the updates on your issue. I hope for a positive decision:)

Yes i have posted it on its official thread. I am only afraid that they may not cancel my score, i do not want to go through the 4 hrs torture again.

lets see!!

Archit
Director
Director
Send PM
Finally, got some info about the technical problem on GMAT. They say that from the time of shutdown of computer to restart there was no time loss. They wont consider any time loss from raising of hand to administrator switching off the computer....This is ridiculous.

However I have not received the official note on my email. I will wait for it.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
Hi Humpty Dumpty

Ony my second gmat prep, with 12 incorrect; i scored 45 on Quant.

I do not know how to rate my performance.
They need to redesign the quant section....Veritas presents a balanced CAT, which is close to real gmat.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit

I managed to get a 540 on veritas mock Q 40 and V 25

the quant section did seem wierd lol maybe I've been rusty I did manage to get 44 in quant before..

The verbal had 3 passages instead of 4.... I ran out of time in the end and had to randomly guess 7 questions in a row.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5