Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,

this could not have come at a better timing for me. I know the content that needs to go into the essays, but am particularly looking for style. Also, there is a lot I want to tell to the adcom, but don't know how I can get the gist of my achievements and credentials into the few essays that a B-school requires.

To start with, are there any good sites that offer advice on style? and while typing in this message I checked out The GMATCLUB Journal (Signature in Praet's message!) - and have decided that this is going to be my starting point for the journey forward.

As always, I agree with Baner on every front!

Regards
Vithal
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Re: Hjort's Offer [#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
To avoid the crush of essay reading requests that came last year, I would like to invite GMAT members to send me their essays and portfolios earlier this year. While the price will remain the same for those who submit early (it's still free) it is more likely that I will be able to review your essays in a timely manner if you submit early. Of course, this is done on a FCFS basis so it is likely that I will not be able to get to all requests. While I try to be a good sport about this, please have realistic deadlines in mind.

Finally the grand question: Why do you offer these services for free?

Some questions are best left as mysteries . . .(on a similar subject, see the great Greco-Roman myth Eros and Psyche).

Thats great, Hjort. thank you very much for your generous support to the Gmat CLub Members.

himalaya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Re: Hjort's Offer [#permalink]
Hjort,

Thank you for your kind offer. You are wonderful. I will take you up on this ASAP.

Pat

Hjort wrote:
To avoid the crush of essay reading requests that came last year, I would like to invite GMAT members to send me their essays and portfolios earlier this year. While the price will remain the same for those who submit early (it's still free) it is more likely that I will be able to review your essays in a timely manner if you submit early. Of course, this is done on a FCFS basis so it is likely that I will not be able to get to all requests. While I try to be a good sport about this, please have realistic deadlines in mind.

Portfolio Selection: Free. This is almost certainly the most fun and the most important stage of the entire application process. Be suspicious of services that charge more than Hjort and fail to ask how you selected your portfolio.

Review of Essay: Free.

Consultation(via PM): Free.

Hjort's Package Deal: Send more than one essay and it's still free.

As always, you (the applicant) have complete discretion to accept or reject my suggestions as you see fit.

I strongly encourage second and third opinions regarding my suggestions. I urge you to view services that discourage you from seeking second opinions with great caution.

Finally the grand question: Why do you offer these services for free?

Some questions are best left as mysteries . . .
(on a similar subject, see the great Greco-Roman myth Eros and Psyche).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You ROCK! :wave
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
By the way: Portfolio Selection includes what some others call "University Selection" or "Choosing MBA Programs to Apply to"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
great! how should I contact you Hjort?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please send me a PM.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear GMAT Club Members,

Just a reminder- please make sure that you are NOT sending me your SSN or other highly confidential information on your essay. This has happened in the past and I obviously have no interest in that type of information.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some students prefer to send a slighlty redacted form of their essays or resume in which they replace the real name of their employer with a fake name.

For instance if the real name is Imperial Consulting Services they change the name to "XYZ Consulting" in the version they send to me.

While it is easier just to leave your materials as is, I do not have any strong objections to editing firm names in this way with the following reservations:

1) If the firm is especially important or impressive not having the right name will not give me a full impression of your work history

2) Please make sure to be consistent in your use of your corporate alias. In other words, make sure that you use the same fake name for your firm throughout the essays you send to me. If you are using fake names for several firms that appear in your essays, please make sure to use a different name for each firm (don't laugh- this has happened before).

As always, include only the information that makes you comfortable. Of course, the more information I have, the eaier it is to evaluate what you send me.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd like to express my deepest gratitude and appreciation to Hjort for reviewing my essays. Hjort takes time to review essays and provides constructive feedback, including suggestions, typos, editorial comments etc etc. In addition, I've found Hjort to be very knowledgable about business schools and the application process.

Hjort is a great contributor to GMATCLUB.

Hjort please continue to serve the GMATCLUB community! You are awesome.

Warm Regards,
Spiderman
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Two updates:

1) GMAT Clubbers are welcome to send me essays for Masters of Finance, Masters of Accounting, etc. programs.

2) Please do not send me zip files.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Update:

Some Club Members have been reluctant to ask about the progress of their review. This is not necessary- if you have any questions, even a simple status question, please send me a PM.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is an awesome offer, Hjort. I've just PMd you with (sorry in advance) kind of a long message. Your insight and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again! :-D
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear GMAT members,

I am heartened by the fact that so many applicants have taken me up on my offer. Alas, my offer is currently oversubscribed so I cannot accept the essays of any new applicants until I can close out some of my current positions. I am afraid that if I accept any more applicants at the present time quality might suffer.

I expect to be able to accept more essays in the near future.

Best,

Hjort

PS: Coffeelover, I have included your essays in the queue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cheers :)

And thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

Are you accepting essays now? I would like to submit one for your critique.

Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort's Offer is OPEN AGAIN!

Thanks to the progress of your fellow member/applicants, I have been able to clear room for new applicants.

If the offer becomes oversubcribed again, I will briefly suspend the offer another time.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3