Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 787 [4]
Given Kudos: 70
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Verbal Challenge 1.1: SC Questions [#permalink]
Kudos
A mixture of reggae and jazz

What does this part modify? The music: out B and E. (in which modifies the artist)

(A) the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were
Comparison music-contemporaries
(C) the artist’s music was more innovative than that of most of his contemporaries
CORRECT
(D) the music of the artist being more innovative in comparison to the music of most of his contemporaries
"being more innovative" is awkward, C is clearly better

IMO C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
3. A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were.

(A) the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were
music is compared to contemporaries
(B) the artist was more innovative in his music than most of his contemporaries
music is compared to contemporaries
(C) the artist’s music was more innovative than that of most of his contemporaries
Correct comparison
(D) the music of the artist being more innovative in comparison to the music of most of his contemporaries
the dreaded being :)
(E) the artist, in his music, was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were
incorrect modification of the artist by mixture of reggae and jazz

Originally posted by ankurgupta03 on 19 May 2013, 23:38.
Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 20 May 2013, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
doe007 wrote:
3. A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were.
(E) the artist, in his music, was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were

Question 3
Answer should be C

A) Wrong Comparison music was more innovative than other contemporary artists.

B) The logical referent of a mixture of reggae and jazz is artist's music and not artist itself.

C) Correct Choice

D) Sentence Fragment - No verb in the choice

E) Incorrect for the same reason sited at Choice B

Narenn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 787 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Re: A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was [#permalink]
doe007 wrote:
A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were.

Explanation:

Concepts tested: Modifier, Comparison

As the sentence begins with a modifier phrase which is in non-underlined part too, it is important to check the start of part after the comma.

A) Illogical comparison between “music of the artist” and “his contemporaries”. “Music of the artist” should be compared with music of his contemporaries. Wrong.
B) As the sentence is starting with the modifier phrase “A mixture of reggae and jazz”, the part after comma should start with “music” and not “artist”. Wrong.
C) Correct. “A mixture of reggae and jazz” is modifying “the artist’s music” correctly. Comparison between music of the artist and music of his contemporaries is correctly structured.
D) The sentence is unnecessarily verbose and awkwardly structured. Use of “being” is imprecise. Wrong.
E) As the sentence is starting with the modifier phrase “A mixture of reggae and jazz”, the part after comma should start with “music” and not “artist”. Wrong.

Correct Answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
A mixture of reggae and jazz the music of the artist [#permalink]
A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was more innovative than most of his contemporaries were.

If you have got the answer correct. Please, tell me why B is wrong.

Originally posted by umeshpatil on 23 May 2013, 05:08.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 May 2013, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: A mixture of reggae and jazz the music of the artist [#permalink]
Expert Reply
umeshpatil wrote:

If you have got the answer correct. Please, tell me why B is wrong.

It is wrong for Three reasons.

1) Misplaced Modifier
Sentence starts with adjectival phrase A mixture of reggae and jazz. What can be a mixture of reggae and jazz, Human or music ? Certainly that adjectival phrase should logically be followed by the noun it modifies i.e. Artist's music
This error has led to an another error - Meaning

2) Meaning
Due to the error presented above, meaning of the sentence also get changed ; Choice B says, The artist himself was innovative while in fact The music, that was a mixture x and y, was innovative.

3) Comparison
Artist was more innovative IN music than IN Contemporary peoples???????

It should be Artist was more innovative in his music than most of his contemporaries were

Hope that Helps!! Patil Saheb!!! :)

Narenn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

Regarding the OA, isn't possessive noun Artist's Music a bad antecedent of 'his' :shock: . That's the reason why I reject the OA in the first place :x . What is the rule am i missing here. :(

/Vaibhav
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
hi Vaibhav,
I also thought the same but other options are more worse.
also I have read some where that pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule.hence we can ignore it if we are left with not other choice.

experts pls comment

br//suryav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
suryav wrote:
hi Vaibhav,
I also thought the same but other options are more worse.
also I have read some where that pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule.hence we can ignore it if we are left with not other choice.

experts pls comment

br//suryav

Hi Suryav,

I think I cracked this one after pondering over a bit. So here it goes:
When we have a possessive noun in the sentence we can have a possessive pronoun to indicate noun's possession.

For eg: the artist’s music was more innovative than that of most of his contemporaries.

Here "his" is a possessive pronoun and hence the usage is correct. However, it would be incorrect to use 1st person pronoun like him, her etc. as these stand for some noun which is mentioned some where in sentence or has some contextual reference in the sentence.

Lesson learnt!! :wink:

Frankly speaking this sentence intended to test this particular concept.

Vaibhav.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
doe007 wrote:

Source: Aristotle Prep

Explanation: a-mixture-of-reggae-and-jazz-the-music-of-the-artist-was-153189.html#p1227703

Opening noun modifier should have the noun after the modifier. Eliminate B and E. A is comparing music with the contemporaries. Incorrect. D is wordy and the usage of being is incorrect. C uses the modifier correctly and does the correct comparison. Hence C.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was [#permalink]
A mixture of reggae and jazz modifies music. The underlined part should start something which is related to music

Eliminate B, E

Eliminate A as the music of the artist is compared with contemporaries were

In D, the usage of Being is incorrect so Eliminate D
Below is the correct usage of Being

>Being is used as a noun.
>When passive continuous verb tense is required to communicate the meaning

Correct choice is C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts