Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [42]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink]
@ankurgupta03 as you have already interviewed in ISB Just one quick query...how much importance does a gmat score count...how different is 700+ from 700 (particularly from ISB point of view )..what could be a safe target for ISB..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
sujit2k7 wrote:
@ankurgupta03 as you have already interviewed in ISB Just one quick query...how much importance does a gmat score count...how different is 700+ from 700 (particularly from ISB point of view )..what could be a safe target for ISB..

Hey sujit2k7

The profile is evaluated on the whole in ISB and they need a spike in your profile. I have a very average profile with an average GPA, so i thought of bringing that spike in my profile with probably a 740 750 GMAT score.

I would say that 700 is not a low score in terms of ISB as it falls around the average score for ISB, it would fetch you a call for sure with decent essays, but during the interviews, you need to be brilliant to compensate for the just average score.

They give some weight-age to the acads in terms of the GMAT score and GPA, so a low GPA should be compensated by a high GMAT score. And in the case of ISB, 700 is not high.

The main thing which i found out is required to be present in your profile is that spike which shows that you have excelled in one field or the other, be it work experience, extracurricular, GPA or the GMAT score.

I hope i would have helped you a bit instead of confusing you more :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ankur

Sad to note that with 700 you could not make through ISB.. One of my friend with just 660 made through ISB last year. Well I think as re applicant you cannot justify just by saying that one whole year kept preparing for the GMAT. You need to justify and present something substantial in essay 5...(only for re applicant)

So i do not think even a 740, would work a lot. Why do not ask the feedback that why were you rejected? they give you a reason, so you must focus on the point presented by them.

I am really sad to note that you did not get thru NUS and NTU; it proves the myth that GMAT is not all that you need for the college.

Good luck, with your GMAT re take....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Archit143 wrote:
Hi ankur

Sad to note that with 700 you could not make through ISB.. One of my friend with just 660 made through ISB last year. Well I think as re applicant you cannot justify just by saying that one whole year kept preparing for the GMAT. You need to justify and present something substantial in essay 5...(only for re applicant)

So i do not think even a 740, would work a lot. Why do not ask the feedback that why were you rejected? they give you a reason, so you must focus on the point presented by them.

I am really sad to note that you did not get thru NUS and NTU; it proves the myth that GMAT is not all that you need for the college.

Good luck, with your GMAT re take....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit

Hey Archit thanks for the insights :)
I am improving on other aspects of my profile also, have been recently promoted too :)
I know that a 740 750 alone will not make a difference, but clubbing it with other improvements might prove beneficial.

ISB have stopped giving particular feedback based on the last year application, all they do now is a session with their ADCOM members who do not know anything about your profile or the previous year application, which was present earlier also. So the concept of feedback hos gone more or less.

NUS and NTU dinged me without an interview, may be because they found similar or better profiles before me.
That is why i want to improve on every aspect of my profile, and retaking GMAT is a part of it :)
(This might make them think about my commitment also that i want to improve everything :P)

Thanks a lot for the wishes :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
good maan ,

anything is achievable...i knw after such hectic application procedure of NUS and with 700 getting rejected is really a depressing feeling.

Archit
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent score..and all the best for retake...I am sure you can gain from 50 to 51 and in verbal as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Have you tried getting a profile evaluation by one of the experts? 'Cos, let's be honest, your GMAT score isn't too bad. Maybe it would be nice to get a 760, but is that all?

I know you mentioned the promotion. But then again, these are just pieces of information that are part of the bigger puzzle - your overall profile. So I would recommend having one of the MBA application consulting experts on this site or another evaluate your whole application and tell just what you may need to do to get an "accepted"!

Cheers!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Send PM
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
Have you tried getting a profile evaluation by one of the experts? 'Cos, let's be honest, your GMAT score isn't too bad. Maybe it would be nice to get a 760, but is that all?

I know you mentioned the promotion. But then again, these are just pieces of information that are part of the bigger puzzle - your overall profile. So I would recommend having one of the MBA application consulting experts on this site or another evaluate your whole application and tell just what you may need to do to get an "accepted"!

Cheers!

Hey thanks for the insights, will surely get my profile reviewed, would be helpful if you can tell me some credible resources.
Also i think that i should improve on every aspect of my profile, hence the GMAT retake.

A 760 looks good ... much better that a 700 :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: HBS '16
Send PM
Hey ankur Congrats for decent score
indeed its a good score
as u r planning to retake- all the best to score 700+ , u can do it easily with some more efforts.

Am very thankful to you for sharing your experience in detail,it helps a lot of GMAT takes.

ankurgupta03 wrote:
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:

Cheers!

Hey thanks for the insights, will surely get my profile reviewed, would be helpful if you can tell me some credible resources.
Also i think that i should improve on every aspect of my profile, hence the GMAT retake.

A 760 looks good ... much better that a 700 :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 ,

Thank you sincerely for your guidance & thoughts above, this thread is very simple and to the point. I wish you the very best going forward to your next level of preparedness for ISB! All the best mate!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
vishnuns39620 wrote:
ankurgupta03 ,

Thank you sincerely for your guidance & thoughts above, this thread is very simple and to the point. I wish you the very best going forward to your next level of preparedness for ISB! All the best mate!

Thanks a lot for the wishes :)

Life is too short to make all mistakes yourself, so learn from other's mistakes ... :)

This was the line which made me write this post and i am glad that it is serving its purpose :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Different schools have different priorities. Along with GMAT would suggest you to read some MBA essay guide side by side, keep a scrap pad where you jot down ideas as they come to your mind. So when time comes for essays you will have lot of scratch work to hit the road running. It's increasingly difficult to get ideas when you are under great stress(close to application deadlines). Would also suggest to get resume overhaul to present things in a way that appeals to MBA Adcoms. The tech resume in general needs an overhaul.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Very detail debrief! Frankly, I wish I could do all the mock tests as you did. You study so seriously. I'm 100% sure you will be paid off down the road. All the best for your retake.
Regards.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
Very detail debrief! Frankly, I wish I could do all the mock tests as you did. You study so seriously. I'm 100% sure you will be paid off down the road. All the best for your retake.
Regards.

Thanks a lot pqhai, i think i did not study as much as is reflected by the post :P
The mocks are on this time around also, have taken some 7 8 mocks till now ... scoring consistently around 740,
But i am stuck at the score and dont know how to get past it :(
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Alas!!! GMAT got the best of me and i ended up with a 700 again (Q50 V33)
The lowest verbal score ever :(
Finally i am done with the GMAT ... After the score, it feels that 2.5 months of studies gone in vain
Over to the applicaton process
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
What was your target BTW. What were your GMAT Prep scores ?

If you are targeting ISB/NUS, you still can give another shot. For ISB, application/goals/ extra-curricular are less important IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
@Ankur

I understand the pain and perseverance you must have underwent during your preparation. Don't be disheartened and GMAT score is certainly not the end of the road. But, NOBODY is stopping you from taking another shot!

Although I am not an expert, would like to share my views if they can help:

OPTION 1) First of all, give GMAT another shot. Remember you have nailed our Indian CAT with 98-99%.You have to focus on Verbal only, as Quant is already in your back pocket. You can take some course from XYZ prep companies that give a money back guarantee if the score doesn't improve by 40-50 points.(e-GMAT Verbal Live prep, Knewton etc)

Here you invest time, lets say 1 month, if score improves, well and good otherwise your move ahead with whole fee refunded. Most of the US colleges will have their deadline around end-of Sept. So, you still have 1 solid month to give it a shot somewhere mid-August, go for it. For ISB,NUS and Nanyang, see the Indian economy (currency fluctuations), lot of guys will be aiming at Asian colleges and with exp around 3-4yrs for an IT guy, it is becomes super tough.

OPTION 2) You continue with 700 and spend some time working on your profile. Remember joining an NGO now and showing to adcoms that you participate in NGO activity won't help at all. I guess you already know your choice of schools well so that research time will be saved. If you don't have any idea regarding your choice of schools, won't be much of a problem considering the power of networking these days. Essays, you can write in 1 month assuming you have fair knowledge/exp since you already wrote for ISB. Also,for LOC, it won't be a big problem to get the feedback from your Team Lead/Supervisors.To evaluate your profile and for further help, we have experts in this wonderful forum.

To sum up, you can't improve GPA, volunteer work, ECs, and you come from a very competitive pool. The one thing that can quickly make you DISTINCT is a 750+ :-D

Well, I may sound as if I have aced GMAT, but unfortunately I am in the same boat to join 700+ clubbers. But,after reading your whole journey I believe you can/should nail this monster.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts