Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink]
rubicon85 wrote:
hkustmba wrote:
rubicon85 wrote:
Hi HKUST Admissions team,

Does HKUST consider applicants across various rounds? I came across old posts where students who applied in R1 got interview invities in subsequent rounds that is R2 and R3. How true is this? Please let me know.

Many thanks!

Hi rubicon85,

We will inform all the applicants the shortlisting results (whether invited to interview or not) by the interview notification deadline in that round, which can be later than the application deadline of the next round. Sometimes, an applicant may be put in the waiting list and only get invited to interview or rejected in later rounds. But it is quite rare.

Towni
Marketing & Admissions, MBA Programs
HKUST Business School

Hi Towni,

Thanks for the information and the wonderful job you are doing with answering our queries. So if a person has been invited to interview in R1, will his application be compared to other R2 applicants after his interview? The reason I ask this is because I know you have already recieved R2 applications and assuming an R1 student appears for his interview now, will his final offer / reject be based on the quality of R2 applicants. ( I am aware that you take 4 weeks from the interview date to intimate a person about his admit / reject).
Thanks a lot for your help!!

Hi rubicon85,

I don't think you need to worry about that too much. If a candidate is invited to interview, the admissions committee has already found his application satisfactory and the interview performance plays a much more important role in whether he will get the offer or not.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much, Towni for answering the query. It is good to know that each round is treated as an independent process and applicants from one round are not compared with applicants of another round.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rubicon85 wrote:
Thank you very much, Towni for answering the query. It is good to know that each round is treated as an independent process and applicants from one round are not compared with applicants of another round.

Originally posted by Archie112 on 11 Jan 2013, 05:10.
Last edited by Archie112 on 14 Jan 2013, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sad to receive rejected application email. thank you for reviwing my application!

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Inrocks wrote:
sad to receive rejected application email. thank you for reviwing my application!

Hi Inrocks,

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for your interest in HKUST MBA.

Wish you all the best in 2013.

Towni
Marketing & Admissions, MBA Programs,
HKUST Business School
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi

When will HKUST start sending the interview invite for Phase 2 application?

:)
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
Hi

When will HKUST start sending the interview invite for Phase 2 application?

:)

Hi getgyan,

Sending out the interview invitations is an ongoing process after the application deadline until March 1 for round two. Some candidates will hear from us earlier while some may only receive the invitation by March 1. There is no fix amount of time required for candidates to receive the invitation.

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I want to know how good is Msc Information Systems Management from HKUST

I just took my GMAT and did not score very well.
OA Score - 640
Quant - 47
Verbal - 29

Overall Experience - 4 years in information technology
Degree - MCA

Can I apply for the ISM HKUST course, or should I consider taking GMAT again.

Send PM
Sikarwar786 wrote:
Hi,

I want to know how good is Msc Information Systems Management from HKUST

I just took my GMAT and did not score very well.
OA Score - 640
Quant - 47
Verbal - 29

Overall Experience - 4 years in information technology
Degree - MCA

Can I apply for the ISM HKUST course, or should I consider taking GMAT again.

Hi Sikarwar786,

I am afraid this thread is mainly for people who have questions on our MBA program. The ISM course is managed by a separate team at our business school, I suggest you to contact them directly at mscis@ust.hk

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Admission Team,

how likely a candidate will be admitted in R2 or the final round. how many remaining spaces left?
Would you suggest me to apply in R1 during 2014 to secure better opportunity?

thanks!
Send PM
lovelygolden wrote:
Hi Admission Team,

how likely a candidate will be admitted in R2 or the final round. how many remaining spaces left?
Would you suggest me to apply in R1 during 2014 to secure better opportunity?

thanks!

Hi lovelygolden,

From our previous experience, there really isn't a clear difference in the admissions chance between the three rounds. We usually admit similar number of candidates in each round.

Whether to apply for intake 2013 or 2014 depends more on your personal schedule and if you have enough time to prepare for your application and GMAT.

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hi HKUST,

For students interested in working in investment management, how does the HKUST career office help them in landing summer internship / full time offer after graduation? Do investment management firms conduct on campus recruitment? Do you have a list of investment management firms that recruit HKUST MBA students after graduation?

Thank you in advance.
Send PM
excel86 wrote:
Hi HKUST,

For students interested in working in investment management, how does the HKUST career office help them in landing summer internship / full time offer after graduation? Do investment management firms conduct on campus recruitment? Do you have a list of investment management firms that recruit HKUST MBA students after graduation?

Thank you in advance.

Hi excel86,

Our career office uses the 4C strategy to support our students' career pursuits.

1. Clarify students' career goals and provide professional advice on what network, skills and exposure they need to achieve their goals through individual career coaching
2. Develop students' capabilities by organizing industry sharing sessions, career clubs, executive meetings so that they will have more practical exposure in their chosen fields before looking for a job
3. Connect students with recruiters through company visits, recruitment talks and networking events. Refer job leads to students through our internal MBA job board
4. Convince recruiters to hire students by improving their job hunting skills through various workshops and trainings, e.g. financial modeling workshops, i-bank mock interviews

Usually, only the larger financial institutions, e.g. HSBC, Standard Chartered, ANZ, Citi, will have campus recruitment through recruitment talks. Jobs from smaller investment management firms will mostly be posted on our internal job board since these firms do not have regular hiring seasons.

In 2012, 13% of our graduates got recruited into investment management/ research roles. Here are some of the recent recruiters who have hired our graduates in this field.

Gingko Asset Management, CVC Capital Partners, CITIC Securities International, RCM Asia Pacific, Azure Partners, CCB Principal Asset Management , AXA Asia Pacific, Ariel Investments, JPMorgan Funds (Asia), HSBC, Golding Capital Partners, BEA Union Investment, etc.

If there is any further question, please let me know.

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Towni,

Thank you for the response, that was very informative. So I guess for students who want to pursue investment management after graduation, they tend to take the "enterprising" approach and network to get the job? For the larger banks that have campus recruitment, are they mostly focused on the commercial banking side or they recruit for investment banking/management jobs as well?
Send PM
excel86 wrote:
Hi Towni,

Thank you for the response, that was very informative. So I guess for students who want to pursue investment management after graduation, they tend to take the "enterprising" approach and network to get the job? For the larger banks that have campus recruitment, are they mostly focused on the commercial banking side or they recruit for investment banking/management jobs as well?

Hi excel86,

Larger banks may recruit roles for different areas including investment banking & management (especially in i-banking), PE/VC, private/commercial banking, etc. But many of our graduates who got into investment/fund management usually worked for smaller firms.

In those cases, the network will be really important since very often those firms are looking for someone with a particular set of experience. The person you know will immediately think of you and refer you to the job.

Also, we always encourage our students to go for the "enterprising" approach and network no matter where they want to work. You never know when your network will come into play especially if you are not from Hong Kong. There is a big hidden job market out there and the best kind of jobs our graduates got were through networking. In some cases, internship/job positions were even created for them after the recruiters found them to be a fit in their teams.

Hope it helps.

Towni
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Towni,

Thanks again for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello,
I want some consultation on whether I am suitable for your college. I have 750gmat (q49,v42),good acads, indian male, have 3 yrs work ex(will have 4yrs by next july) as junior management in one of the biggest fortune 500 manufacturing companies, with more than 2yrs international work ex(2yrs USA, 2 months Thailand and 1 month Poland), fluent in English + 3 other indian languages and A1.1 basic proficiency in French. Lots of CSR work, medium level of extracurriculars in college(no sports though!), and diverse hobbies. How much of a chance would you say I have of getting accepted at HKUST?
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts