Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [12]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The conflict between [#permalink]
then what would be the answer .. I was thinking D ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
tgt2012 wrote:
then what would be the answer .. I was thinking D ?

Answer is A

(A) bring artists and gallery managers into closer contact, so as to increase the artist’s input into the way the exhibit is held.

SEE as i have stated in above post:
problem of the argument:
managers dont know how to present the art..as it is inteded by artists.
so now if both mangers and artist are in regular touch then this problem can be solved.
that is what option A IS saying.

D cant be the answer:
provide a uniform environment for all the works in an exhibition so that they appear within the same context===>if you provide the same environment for all the environment then in that case is it solving the conflict of MANAGER and AUTHOR==>NO

example : you put all the painting in a beautiful well designed room==>you are providing same environment for all.
but does this mean that the managers will present the art as per the artists intention.===> we cant say
hence option D is wrong

KUDOS if it helped.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Vineetk wrote:
I thought A is wrong as it will be difficult for Manager to incorporate the inputs by artists as artists can have different views on the way exhibition is held and Manager cannot make everyone Happy. That's why I went with B. Did I thought too much on this? B does the Job well. It gives Manager sufficient information to execute the exhibition.

Yes you thought too much. The text does not say anything like that so you cannot assume it. Stick to what it's given.

B does not the job well. We know that "canvases have been hung in an improper context because the gallery managers have not understood what the painter envisioned as the work’s proper environment."

Even if you "B provide brochures at the exhibit that describe the artist and how he or she intended the exhibit to look" but you do not change anything about the context, the problem remains.
The brochure could say something like "the artist designed this painting with light in his mind", but if you place the canvas in a dark room the problem remains.

Hope it' s clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The conflict between an artist s work and the context in [#permalink]
Experts, please advise what is wrong with option E.

The way I understood the questions ---

Managers don't know the context of the picture -----> Picture's Placement is wrong.

E says --> If managers are made well versed to understand the context of the Picture, they themselves can correct the placement. (In other words, to counter option A -- We don't even need painters help if managers are well aware about the context of the picture.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Managers don't know the context of the picture -----> Picture's Placement is wrong.

E says --> If managers are made well versed to understand the context of the Picture, they themselves can correct the placement. (In other words, to counter option A -- We don't even need painters help if managers are well aware about the context of the picture.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
RMD007 wrote:

The problem arises because the managers do not understand how the painter envisioned the work's environment, not because they do not understand the meaning of the painting. Therefore getting the managers trained to understand the meaning of the painting would not help. They need to understand what the painter thought about the environment of the painting. Hence A is better than E.

Its clear. Thanks for the reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
What about the the artists who are dead, how is option A gonna help in that case while E might help still. How do we understand that from the context?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Hi sayantanc2k nightblade354 eakabuah GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo

I was confused between A and E, but I eventually picked E. My line of reasoning was that maybe it will not be possible always for the artist and manager to be able to communicate. For example: the painter was Da Vinci.
Whereas, in E, the problem of improper context is solved because there is a uniform context for every painting.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
The conflict between an artist s work and the context in [#permalink]
Kudos
Argp wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k nightblade354 eakabuah GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo

I was confused between A and E, but I eventually picked E. My line of reasoning was that maybe it will not be possible always for the artist and manager to be able to communicate. For example: the painter was Da Vinci.
Whereas, in E, the problem of improper context is solved because there is a uniform context for every painting.

Argp
I must say you have a very interesting point. In the meantime, let's try to understand the argument and analyze answer choices A and E.

The conflict between an artist's work and the context within which it is placed is a traditional problem in aesthetics. Why? Too often a painter’s canvases have been hung in an improper context because the gallery managers have not understood what the painter envisioned as the work’s proper environment.

You would realize that the conflict spoken about is not generic. Why do I say the problem is not generic? Because every artist is unique, the context of the artwork of different artists cannot be the same. We can even argue that two artworks made by an artist may have different contexts. Of what use will an instruction of art gallery managers in the fine points of aesthetic theory be to the understanding of the context of a particular artwork? E will work if all artworks have a generic context and we just have a case of a misunderstanding between the art gallery managers and artists in general. This, however, is not the case. So you can clearly see why E is not appropriate.

Now A says that bring artists and gallery managers into closer contact, so as to increase the artist’s input into the way the exhibit is held. Artist A has a specific context associated with his artwork XYZ; he explains the context to the art gallery manager. The art gallery manager takes this into consideration, and he or she resolves the problem.

Back to your interesting point. Da Vinci is dead, how do we bring him back to tell us about the context of his painting? I would say we can refer to his memoir on each of his artworks. That would pretty give us the context of each artwork. That's why B kind of looks interesting but it doesn't resolve the problem since the brochure is presented at the exhibit and not that it is given to the art gallery manager so that he/she can display the artwork in compliance with the context of the artist.

My advice: don't overthink. Focus on understanding the stimulus, as it goes a long way to help you to eliminate the wrong options.

Hope this is somehow helpful in clearing your doubts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
The conflict between an artist s work and the context in [#permalink]
Thank you so much eakabuah! Not only for such a quick revert but also for such an elaborate one. Really appreciate it!

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts