Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [219]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [109]
Given Kudos: 81568
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [21]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International business
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: It takes the high-speed train x hours to travel the z miles [#permalink]
I solved it this way:

Speed of high speed train =z/x
Speed of normal train = z/y

Let d be the distance covered by high speed train when they meet.
So distance covered by normal train is z-d

When they meet, the time taken by both is same. So,

d/x = (z-d)/y
d*y = z*x - d*x
d(y+x) = z*x
d = z*x / x+y

the difference between the distance would be d - (z-d) which is equal to 2d - z
= 2z*x / (x+y) - z
= 2z*x - z*x - z*y / (x+y)
= z(x-y)/x+y

which is option b

please let me know where am I going wrong.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prax wrote:
I solved it this way:

Speed of high speed train =z/x
Speed of normal train = z/y

Let d be the distance covered by high speed train when they meet.
So distance covered by normal train is z-d

When they meet, the time taken by both is same. So,

d/x = (z-d)/y
d*y = z*x - d*x
d(y+x) = z*x
d = z*x / x+y

the difference between the distance would be d - (z-d) which is equal to 2d - z
= 2z*x / (x+y) - z
= 2z*x - z*x - z*y / (x+y)
= z(x-y)/x+y

which is option b

please let me know where am I going wrong.

You can solve this way too, but you made a mistake in calculation: \(time=\frac{distance}{rate}=\frac{d}{\frac{z}{x}}=\frac{z-d}{\frac{z}{y}}\) --> \(dx=zy-dy\) (not d/x = (z-d)/y) --> \(d=\frac{zy}{x+y}\).

Difference \(2d-z=\frac{2zy}{x+y}-z=\frac{z(y-x)}{x+y}\).

Answer: A.

You could spot that answer B cannot be the correct choice as it's negative (numerator x-y<0) (high speed train needs less time to cover the distance than regular train, so x<y) but the difference in distances cannot be negative as high speed train would cover greater distance than regular train when they meet (for exact same reason choice D can be eliminated as well).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
The problem can be solved very easily with the concepts of Relative velocity..

if we assume that slow moving tarin is at stand still and high speed train is moving with the speed : x+y

time taken to travel the distance : z/(x+y)

diffrence in the distance tarvelled = distance traveled by high speed tarin - distance traveled by slow moving train
= x[z/(x+y)] - y[z/(x+y)]
= z(x-y)/(x+y)

hope it will be helpfull.. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
joyseychow wrote:
It takes the high-speed train x hours to travel the z miles from Town A to Town B at a constant rate, while it takes the regular train y hours to travel the same distance at a constant rate. If the high-speed train leaves Town A for Town B at the same time that the regular train leaves Town B for Town A, how many more miles will the high-speed train have traveled than the regular train when the two trains pass each other?

(A) z(y – x)/x + y

(B) z(x – y)/x + y

(C) z(x + y)/y – x

(D) xy(x – y)/x + y

(E) xy(y – x)/x + y

You can also use ratios here.
Ratio of time taken by high speed:regular = x:y
Ratio of distance covered in same time by high speed:regular = y:x (inverse of ratio of speed)
So distance covered by high speed train will be y/(x+y) * z
and distance covered by regular train will be x(x+y) * z
High speed train will travel yz/(x+y) - xz/(x+y) = z(y-x)/(x+y) more than regular train.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [5]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
ishanand wrote:
It takes the high-speed train x hours to travel the z miles from Town A to Town B at a constant rate, while it takes the regular train y hours to travel the same distance at a constant rate. If the high-speed train leaves Town A for Town B at the same time that the regular train leaves Town B for Town A, how many more miles will the high-speed train have traveled than the regular train when the two trains pass each other?

(A) z(y - x)/(x + y)

(B) z(x - y)/(x + y)

(C) z(x + y)/(y - x)

(D) xy(x - y)/(x + y)

(E) xy(y - x)/(x + y)

Merging similar topics. Please ask if anything remains unclear.

z represents distance, x and y represent time.
The answer requires an expression with units of distance.
We can immediately eliminate answers D and E, both have units of time squared and not distance.

The regular train is slower than the high-speed train, so necessarily y > x. We can eliminate choice B, being negative.

Since (x + y)/(y - x) > 1, we can eliminate choice C, as neither of the two trains could have traveled a distance greater than z until they passed each other.

We are left with the only choice A.
The above posts confirm that it is the correct answer.

Answer A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rate of high speed train: \(\frac{z}{x}\)
Rate of regular train: \(\frac{z}{y}\)

t: time it takes for two trains to pass each other from opposite direction

\(\frac{z}{x}(t)+\frac{z}{y}(t)=z\)

Calculate t: t = \(\frac{x+y}{xy}\)

Distance travelled by high-speed train minus regular train:

\((\frac{z}{x})(\frac{xy}{x+y})-(\frac{z}{y})(\frac{xy}{x+y})\)

Answer: \(z(\frac{y-x}{x+y})\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Prax wrote:
Hi,

I have another doubt:

z(y – x)/x + y

z(x – y)/x + y

z(x + y)/y – x

xy(x – y)/x + y

xy(y – x)/x + y

Please help me with this question.

It takes the high-speed train x hours to travel the z miles --> rate of high-speed train is \(rate_{high-speed}=\frac{distance}{time}=\frac{z}{x}\);

It takes the regular train y hours to travel the same distance --> rate of regular train is \(rate_{regular}=\frac{distance}{time}=\frac{z}{y}\);

Time in which they meet is \(time=\frac{distance}{combined-rate}=\frac{z}{\frac{z}{x}+\frac{z}{y}}=\frac{xy}{x+y}\).

Difference in distances covered: {Time}*{Rate of high-speed train} - {Time}{Rate of regular train} --> \(\frac{xy}{x+y}*\frac{z}{x}-\frac{xy}{x+y}*\frac{z}{y}=\frac{z(y-x)}{x+y}\).

Hey can someone help me. So something I sort of missed was why we combine the rate (understood this) but then to figure out the time the trains cross each other to simply divide the distance z by the combined rates?

The distance z is the total distance for A to B. Which is different for what we're looking for, no? Aren't we looking for the time (and hence corresponding) distance where A and B cross each other? That is not the same as z (to me) but should be shorter than z
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Prax wrote:
Hi,

I have another doubt:

z(y – x)/x + y

z(x – y)/x + y

z(x + y)/y – x

xy(x – y)/x + y

xy(y – x)/x + y

Please help me with this question.

It takes the high-speed train x hours to travel the z miles --> rate of high-speed train is \(rate_{high-speed}=\frac{distance}{time}=\frac{z}{x}\);

It takes the regular train y hours to travel the same distance --> rate of regular train is \(rate_{regular}=\frac{distance}{time}=\frac{z}{y}\);

Time in which they meet is \(time=\frac{distance}{combined-rate}=\frac{z}{\frac{z}{x}+\frac{z}{y}}=\frac{xy}{x+y}\).

Difference in distances covered: {Time}*{Rate of high-speed train} - {Time}{Rate of regular train} --> \(\frac{xy}{x+y}*\frac{z}{x}-\frac{xy}{x+y}*\frac{z}{y}=\frac{z(y-x)}{x+y}\).

Hey Bunuel so something I sort of missed was why we combine the rate (understood this) but then to figure out the time the trains cross each other to simply divide the distance z by the combined rates?

The distance z is the total distance for A to B. Which is different for what we're looking for, no? Aren't we looking for the time (and hence corresponding) distance where A and B cross each other?

Two trains are traveling to meet each other.

Distance = 100 miles;
Rate of train A = 20 miles per hour;
Rate of train B = 30 miles per hour.

In how many hours will they meet?

(Time) = (Distance)/(Combined rate) = 100/(20+30) = 2 hours.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-18-2013
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Hi,

I must be making a dumb algebra error somewhere in this step. How did you convert the fraction like this? I keep ending up with somehting slightly different
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hitman5532 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Hi,

I must be making a dumb algebra error somewhere in this step. How did you convert the fraction like this? I keep ending up with somehting slightly different

\(\frac{z}{\frac{z}{x}+\frac{z}{y}}=\frac{z}{\frac{zy+zx}{xy}}=\frac{xyz}{zy+zx}=\frac{xy}{x+y}\).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos