Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [8]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
ADMISSIONS TIP from Haas adcom:

How can I start preparing for the application and when will the essay questions be released? -- The first step is creating a login on our website. This ensures that you receive our email updates about the program and application timing. In the meantime, you should review our essay questions from last year as we’re likely to repeat most of them – particularly the question about career goals, why MBA and why Haas. You should also think about whom you want to approach for your two letters of recommendation, preferably at least one is from a past or present supervisor. Lastly, now is a good time to take the GMAT, if you haven’t already, so that you can focus on the essays down the road.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I was doing my random skimming through target school websites routine and to my surprise, noticed that Haas has released their essay questions. Wow!
https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/essays.html

Edit: Thank you! Thread has been updated with essay questions

Originally posted by randomwalk on 22 Jun 2013, 19:39.
Last edited by jumsumtak on 22 Jun 2013, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
thread update notification
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[quote="randomwalk"]I was doing my random skimming through target school websites routine and to my surprise, noticed that Haas has released their essay questions. Wow!

I have a question on the 'Song' essay. Does it have to be an English song only..?? any pointers will be really helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
I was doing my random skimming through target school websites routine and to my surprise, noticed that Haas has released their essay questions. Wow!

I have a question on the 'Song' essay. Does it have to be an English song only..?? any pointers will be really helpful.

This question was first asked last year. I agree with most opinions on the internet, which is that, this is a modified version of what matters most to you essay. Begin by introspecting who you really are and then go for the song that most aligns to what you want to say, and not the other way around. I think, because the focus should be on who you are, the origin of the song doesn't really matter. If I remember someone on the internet had mentioned you can even align yourselves to the feel of the song and the circumstances that the singer went through while writing the song etc.. and not just the lyrics.

I for one will not be choosing an English song, because I feel it will be lesser legwork for me to find a song in my native language.
Darden School Moderator
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
amitkpandey wrote:
randomwalk wrote:

This question was first asked last year. I agree with most opinions on the internet, which is that, this is a modified version of what matters most to you essay. Begin by introspecting who you really are and then go for the song that most aligns to what you want to say, and not the other way around. I think, because the focus should be on who you are, the origin of the song doesn't really matter. If I remember someone on the internet had mentioned you can even align yourselves to the feel of the song and the circumstances that the singer went through while writing the song etc.. and not just the lyrics.

I for one will not be choosing an English song, because I feel it will be lesser legwork for me to find a song in my native language.

I am also keen on choosing a song in my native language..but that will make communicating the song (its meaning) and my relationship(what I am, how i connect etc) to the song a very difficult job to do in 250 words..!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
amitkpandey wrote:

I am also keen on choosing a song in my native language..but that will make communicating the song (its meaning) and my relationship(what I am, how i connect etc) to the song a very difficult job to do in 250 words..!!!

Yep, that's the challenge. But I do not believe that choosing an English song will get you the needed leeway to write lesser about the song. I am yet to choose the song and the theme, but I know I am only going to be paraphrasing the lyrics and the background. So it does not make a difference to me even if I choose an English song.
VP
VP
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:
randomwalk wrote:

Nope. From last year's blog: The song may or may not be in English and may not have lyrics. Just show how it connects to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Some news out of Haas today:

Quote:
The graduating classes at Berkeley-Haas this year are enjoying strong employment opportunities, with salaries and job postings increasing for MBA students and internships proving ever more important in launching Haas undergraduate careers.

MBA Employment

Graduates from the MBA class of 2013 are landing positions with some of the world’s top companies as well as pursuing jobs in startups and impact investing.

Top hiring companies for new graduates so far include McKinsey & Co., Google, JPMorgan, Kaiser, and Amazon. Early employment data show that salaries and signing bonuses are continuing to trend up slightly and that the already robust job market remains strong. Additional top hiring firms include Deloitte Consulting, Samsung, Autodesk, Bain, Visa, Adobe, Microsoft, Zynga, and Prophet.

While strong hiring continues in traditional MBA areas, Lisa Feldman, executive director of the Career Management Group, notes some additional trends. “Real estate is a strong area for us this year, and we are also seeing a strong class of entrepreneurs,” she says. “In addition to the entrepreneurs themselves, we have a growing number of students exploring the impact they might have in smaller organizations and seeking experience with early-stage startups.”

Gilad Bonjack, MBA 13, is one such student. He’s joined Voxer, developer of a walkie-talkie application for smartphones, as product manager and one of the first 50 employees. "I love the ever-evolving tech industry and especially work that allows me to change the way people communicate,” says Bonjack, who originally hails from Israel. “Working in the Bay Area is the dream of every tech enthusiast, and I'm grateful that my experience at Haas led me here.”

Another growing area of interest for Berkeley MBA students is impact investing. Rakesh Apte, MBA 14, will join the investment team at the Eleos Foundation, a social venture capital organization based in Santa Barbara. “I’m passionate about promoting social entrepreneurs who are using market forces to solve some of the world’s toughest problems,” Apte says. Apte notes that Haas’ commitment to the social venture community was “instrumental in helping me attain this dream job.”

MBA Internships

Most members of the class of 2014 have begun their summer internships. Top hiring companies for internships include Deloitte, Google, Samsung, McKinsey, Visa, and Adobe.

Bernice Wong, MBA 14, used contacts in the Haas Alumni Network to land a business development internship with The RealReal,, a startup that resells luxury-brand clothing and other goods. “To me, the fashion industry is a great intersection of artistry and business,” says Wong. “I see The RealReal as the leader of an up-and-coming generation of resale online platforms that promote more sustainable consumption in fashion.”
- See more at: https://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/artic ... KYEEv.dpuf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi All,

I am 95% in for R1 at this point. Love what I've hear about the school and looking forward to visiting.

I have a quick question for everybody. I have heard that it is harder to get in here as a non Ca resident. I am actually an international so not sure if it applies to me or not but does anybody have an opinion on whether this is true or false?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Send PM
pberry wrote:
Hi All,

I am 95% in for R1 at this point. Love what I've hear about the school and looking forward to visiting.

I have a quick question for everybody. I have heard that it is harder to get in here as a non Ca resident. I am actually an international so not sure if it applies to me or not but does anybody have an opinion on whether this is true or false?

Thanks!

It's hard to get in. Period. (Ca or no Ca)

Also, can't do much about it. Can you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
pberry wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

For undergrad admissions this is generally true for top public schools like Berkeley and UVA -- to receive state funding schools must maintain an in-state enrollment of something like 2/3 of all students, which means slots for out-of-state students are fewer and more competitive. As an MBA program, however, Haas acts more private than public (in-state students pay only $2,000 less in tuition than out-of-state), so Haas does not have these restrictions. About 35% of students each year are international, so you won't be at a disadvantage. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Yaye! its the time of year to rack your brains and answer some difficult questions! All the best folks!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I believe I will choose a non-English song too. Haas is so competitive...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Likely in for R1.
I'm happy to see that more business schools are accepting GRE this year - I think Haas didn't last year which was why I didn't apply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Likely in for R2 (debating doing R1 but I want to put my best application in for Haas! :-D )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
Good way to start the Haas admission cycle. Do Warm up and respond to the value of an MBA contest: https://berkeleyhaasmba.wordpress.com/20 ... -now-live/
VP
VP
Send PM
Indya wrote:
Good way to start the Haas admission cycle. Do Warm up and respond to the value of an MBA contest: https://berkeleyhaasmba.wordpress.com/20 ... -now-live/

Sounds more like an early ding letter - I kid.

To people who are doing this: just ensure you don't pick and drop the majority of this thing in your actual goals essay.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts